Motoring Discussion > Giant electric toothbrush for alloys Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 26

Giant electric toothbrush for alloys - Armel Coussine
I know there are spray-on solvent products to get the brake dust off alloy wheels - you spray it on, leave it and then hose it off. But I don't believe the carp will really come off without being scrubbed while the solvent is there.

My car's wheels aren't as absurdly jagged and complex in design as many, but they are very shiny, looking like polished steel. That black brake stuff sticks like an illegitimate person (or 'like poo on a blanket' as my Aussie mechanic vividly puts it).

Even people younger than me get faint and irritable if they have to spend long crouching or bending down and applying some sort of effort. What's needed is a sort of large electric toothbrush thing that can be used from a standing position. The rotating wheel scrubbers in automatic carwashes are hopelessly crude at the job even when they still have a few bristles left.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 27 Feb 11 at 18:38
 Giant electric toothbrush for alloys - Stuu
Ive actually got what you describe - think its called something like a sonic wheel brush - my nan got me it our of a catalogue - never had the stones to try it on a car incase it takes the paint off the wheels!

Here ya go:

www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Car_Care_Equipment.html
 Giant electric toothbrush for alloys - Zero
I have the 4.99 luxury alloy wheel brush.

Works fine for me
 Giant electric toothbrush for alloys - sherlock47
>> I have the 4.99 luxury alloy wheel brush.
>>
>> Works fine for me
>>

I have dirty wheels - they seem to work fine for me!

Perhaps hosing off would reduce the unsprung weight though:)
 Giant electric toothbrush for alloys - Bellboy
i wet the wheels with a hose
use 50/50 g101
walk away
come back in a few minutes with a soft sweeping brush on a handle (wilkinsons) and brush in one hand hose in tother clean alloys and muddy tyres

www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/autosmart-g101.html
Stu's suggestion is along the right lines, but the handle's too short and AA batteries don't sound powerful enough. Zero is obviously pretending he can still crouch for hours without ill effects. Bb's solution sounds more or less right, if fairly labour-intensive. But having a labour-saving device like a car is a bit labour-intensive in one way or another.
 Giant electric toothbrush for alloys - Runfer D'Hills
I should think they still have Boy Scouts in Surrey AC. That kind of place. Bob a Job and stuff. Failing that ring up Help the Aged. They'll know if you can get a grant or something...

:-)
>> Boy Scouts in Surrey

No doubt, no doubt. But where is Surrey exactly? There's a zone I sometimes pass through that lays claim to that name. But I don't think anyone decent would want to live there. Seems to be full of business people, successful con men and other thieves. You can tell by their cars and the way they drive them.

>> to live there. Seems to be full of business people, successful con men and other
>> thieves.

Engine room of the economy old chap.
 Giant electric toothbrush for alloys - Bellboy
i use the brush on all cars actually AC so long as the bristles are clean you dont do any more damage than a car wash brush
its an excellent way to get mud off sills and door bottoms without bending your back as its all in the wrist action and i know thats fine coz somebody called me a right w**ker yesterday
>> its all in the wrist action and i know thats fine coz somebody called me a right w**ker yesterday

Heh heh... but you can't help wondering how they know that, can you?

Actually the wrist isn't seriously threatened. The real risk is of tennis elbow.
>> don't sound powerful enough. Zero is obviously pretending he can still crouch for hours without ill effects.

Not at all. 5 mins per wheel, with little step stool to sit on.

Mind your Chinos though...
>> little step stool to sit on.

OK Zeddo, I take some of it back.

My problem was that the car is parked on a slope and it's a bit muddy round it. But I should have got the plastic step stool from the kitchen and used that. A bit thick of me actually, or would have been had I had an appropriate brush. Sponge no good for that.
I understand AC, been a bad week for the old brain cells. Still the Jazz has nice simple wheel covers, just for the olduns.
Guh.

drool.....
 Giant electric toothbrush for alloys - Old Navy
I use the frequent cleaning makes it easy method. A 50p washing up brush dunked in carwash works fine.

For those with tin wheels, the dishwasher does a good job on wheeltrims.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 27 Feb 11 at 18:09
 Giant electric toothbrush for alloys - -
As Navy, wash the car frequently and the muck doesn't get ingrained, quick nip round the nooks with a sponge with normal non wax car wash, job done.

You can lead them to water....
When I see the state of some peoples cars, (interior), I assume their houses are wipe your feet on the way out establishments.
 Giant electric toothbrush for alloys - Dog
You could have your alloy wheels restored to their former brilliance by a 'we come to you!' service,

I had some done once upon a time, long, long ago = grrreat service, and when re-lacquered can be easily cleaned by a swift wash n' brush up.
 Giant electric toothbrush for alloys - DP
Wonder Wheels applied with the supplied brush and a rinse with the Karcher hasn't failed me yet.
 Giant electric toothbrush for alloys - Bill Payer
>> Wonder Wheels

A thousand detailing fanboys just died!
 Giant electric toothbrush for alloys - Mike Hannon
I just wipe my alloys off once a week before anything gets the chance to stick. And after every outing for the Beast. I can't bend like I used to either but it only takes 30 seconds per wheel for the Honda and 1 minute for the XJS.
>> Wonder Wheels applied with the supplied brush and a rinse with the Karcher hasn't failed
>> me yet.
>>

I doubt if your alloys will survive a couple of years of that treatment, I killed a set of Ford wheels with that stuff, I just use carwash frequently now.
 Giant electric toothbrush for alloys - DP
>> I doubt if your alloys will survive a couple of years of that treatment, I
>> killed a set of Ford wheels with that stuff, I just use carwash frequently now.

Been using it for about 5 years on various cars with no problems, although I am too lazy to bother with it more than once or twice a year, which probably helps. :-)

Detailing really is not my bag. Wash, polish, vac out, bit of matt Armor all on the dash if I can be bothered, and that does me. To be honest, it's a challenge finding the time to do that much without being interrupted.

Giant electric toothbrush for alloys - madf
A cheap soft brush, a sponge and washnwax work perfectly for me.

But you do have to be conistent and do wash wheels carefully. As I wear anti chenical gloves in the cold to keep my hands warm , my wheels look perfect in winter and summer.. for about 5 mintes after I start to drive again after washing them.

Then they get covered in mud and carp (horse, cow and pig) and it's all a waste of time .

Detailing is for people who need to get a life....
Last edited by: madf on Mon 28 Feb 11 at 17:09
I was walking past a motor spares shop in our local town today, I'd gone out to get a haircut and a new watch battery but you know how it is...

So in I wander, no agenda, just idly examining car trivia, musing on why anyone would want to put a Tazmanian Devil logo bearing aluminium effect tax disc holder on their car when my eyes lit upon a tool of potential usefulness.

On offer to boot. It's an alloy wheel brush. Sexily handled in yellow plastic it features a slim loop of plastic with stiffer than expected nylon bristles. Clearly a quality item as it was alleged to have been originally £2.99 but today could be had for a mere £1.99. Who could resist? I can hardly wait to try it out...

:-)
Latest Forum Posts