Motoring Discussion > Anyone heard of AutoSock? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 14

Anyone heard of AutoSock? - movilogo
Does it work as claimed?

www.autosock.co.uk/
 Anyone heard of AutoSock? - Iffy
I think the theory is sound.

During the freezing weather, I was having trouble getting out of the car/standing up due to the slippery surface.

The answer was to take off my shoes.

My socks gave a surprising amount of grip, so I'm sure this 'textile sock' would work in a similar way.

Anyone heard of AutoSock? - Bill Payer
I've got a set for my Merc but never used them - keep it in on cold days. :)

However everything I've read and seen in video's says they're really good. Obviously they don't last long if driven on clear roads, but I got mine for emergency "get-me-home" use.
 Anyone heard of AutoSock? - hawkeye

>> During the freezing weather I was having trouble getting out of the car/standing up due
>> to the slippery surface.
>>
>> The answer was to take off my shoes.
>>

Has anyone else had an involuntary shudder at the thought of freezing your socks down to ice temperature ? Yes I'm a softie. But stockinged feet on ice ? Ouch !
 Anyone heard of AutoSock? - Zero
the answer is to put another pair of socks over your existing shoes and socks!
 Anyone heard of AutoSock? - -
I've heard of them and i've heard of chocolate teapots too.;)
...the answer is to put another pair of socks over your existing shoes and socks!...

I was told that later. :)

It was cold to the point of painful in just socks, but it did give me instant grip and allowed me to get out of the car safely and make the few steps to a bit of the car park which had been gritted.

Anyone heard of AutoSock? - bathtub tom
So, having got your feet frozen you then picked up bits of grit on your socks before putting your shoes back on.

You find hair shirts nice to wear?
A grubby pair of socks was better than falling over.

But hey, I was only trying to help, if you'd rather risk injury, go ahead.

Anyone heard of AutoSock? - Dave
They've been slowly changing the ambulance fleet here, from V70 4wd (with a big fibreglass 'lump' on the back) to Merc E class 2wd. In leiu of the 4wd they provided the drivers with the autosocks. The idea being that the Mercs have a higher payload.

As a result, all winter the papers have been full of stories about crashed ambulances, and patients left waiting because the crew were stuck in the snow or couldn't get up the icy roads.
 Anyone heard of AutoSock? - Snakey
My neighbour has a set for his toyota and he was impressed with them over the recent winter. I think they're an emergency device rather than something you should use often.

He said they got his car out of a snow filled car park, but then he had to take them back off as the roads were mainly slushy after that.

I guess they're wear out quite quickly if use on anything other than fairly thick snow.
 Anyone heard of AutoSock? - Mapmaker
>> They've been slowly changing the ambulance fleet here from V70 4wd (with a big fibreglass
>> 'lump' on the back) to Merc E class 2wd.>> As a result all winter the papers have been full of stories about crashed ambulances

4wd doesn't stop you from crashing once you're moving.

Winter tyres, however, would. Autosocks are for driving a very short distance to get you out of trouble, not for prolonged use - chains are the answer then.
 Anyone heard of AutoSock? - Bellboy
bit of a slow reader so only just tread the saturday telegraph motoring section,now in there there is a column from some bloke called honest john,thing is he plugged this product (elsie tanners hairnet) in two different reply letters
why would he do this then????????????????????????/
 Anyone heard of AutoSock? - Mapmaker
>>why would he do this then

Possibly because he's being paid. The going rate to get Alison Cork to mention your business in her "Decorate your home cheaply" column in the Saturday Telegraph starts at a couple of hundred pounds.
 Anyone heard of AutoSock? - Netsur
My partner uses AutoSocks for getting off and on his long gently sloping drive. It is messy work, but they do work.
Latest Forum Posts