Motoring Discussion > Why do we still have petrol cars? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 49

Why do we still have petrol cars? - movilogo
When diesel is used by

* ~30% of all cars
* all HGVs, coaches
* Trains
* Ships

Only other sector [as I can imagine] uses petrol is Aviation but that is a different grade fuel than cars'.

Of course we have 2-wheels and lawn mowers which still use petrol.

If price difference between petrol & diesel cars become narrower [or even equal], will people stop buying petrol cars?

PS: I never owned diesel cars myself though my next car is highly likely to be a diesel.

Why do we still have petrol cars? - RattleandSmoke
Petrol engines are simply and are far better for people that do low milleage. Diesel cars are also banned in some countries.
 Why do we still have petrol cars? - -
Drivers that mainly use their cars for short journeys would be wise to buy petrol too, modern DPF equipped cars need longer fast runs to keep the things clean.

If you recall Oilrag recently bought a Petrol Panda for his wife for this very reason.

Why do we still have petrol cars? - Stuu
Given current diesels complexity, I woulnt entertain one. All you need are some moderate failures mechanically and it wipes out any fuel savings unless you do big miles and your lucky enough to have found a reliable example.
 Why do we still have petrol cars? - Runfer D'Hills
Depends on your view of risk though doesn't it ? I've had three consecutive diesel cars, all run to big mileages without problems. If I had chosen to buy petrol equivalents the fuel costs would have run to £000s more. Even allowing for the lower purchase prices which would have been available on petrol models it still made much more sense to me. I did have an additional petrol car for a while in recent times and very pleasant it was too but ultimately the diesels have proven the better choice. As it turned out, none of them did fail but even if they had all needed a £1000 repair I'd still be ahead.
 Why do we still have petrol cars? - Dog
We had a nice? day out today ... Homebase in Bodmin, Homebase in Truro, B & Q in Falmouth (Penryn)
and a garden centre near Newquay :(
I drove not un-like a mimser and managed to get 40 MPG (average) out of my 1.8 Almera automatic (petrol)
I'm more than satisfied with that figure, so I wouldn't be interested in a diesel.
I heard say that in the Fatherland (Germany) they don't allow diesel engined cars in some cities
because of their heavy particulate pollution.
 Why do we still have petrol cars? - Marc
Because diesels are noisy, smelly and give people asthma
 Why do we still have petrol cars? - Dieselfitter
>>Because diesels are noisy, smelly and give people asthma

That used to be true and I'll give you the first, but maybe not the 2nd or 3rd with the latest DPF-equipped diesels. The Mondeo 2.0 TDCi that I bought in 2002 certainly used to put out smoke at times - even when new you could see clouds of it illuminated by the headlights of a following car when you put your foot down. When it got older, combustion was inefficient after a cold start and the clouds of smelly smoke were a real embarrasment, and one of the reasons for selling it in the end. However....my VAG 2.0 TDi with DPF is now a year old and I've never seen any smoke at all. The inside of the tail pipe is still so clean I swear you could eat off it.
 Why do we still have petrol cars? - Auntie Lockbrakes
I'd amend the OP's original question to "Why do we still have diesel cars?". Even if you like diesel cars (& I've got 1!) it strikes me that the world is slowly lining up to outlaw them. The Greenies have pollution concerns, the UK Gubbermint taxes the fuel more than petrol, the manufacturers are moving towards hybrids and small cc petrol turbos, and Big Oil in the US seems heavily in favour of us using petrol not diesel to fuel our cars. How many diesel cars do you see in the USA?! In the Middle East (where petrol is very cheap) you can only find low grade diesel which ruins a modern diesel engine within minutes of leaving the forecourt.

I predict private diesel motoring to be ancient history in 2020!
I choose my new Panda mainly because it had the simplest engine in any car since the Ford Ka stopped fitting the Endura engine.

Many people on the FIAT forums reckon the FIRE (petrol) is good for 200k with frequent oil changes. In that milleage all it should need is a few lambda sensors, cam belts, maybe a head gasket and crankshaft sensors. No £2000 fuel pumps or injectors.

Diesels will always be able to do higher mileage than petrols but will also cost a lot more in replacement parts.

Why do we still have petrol cars? - Old Navy
>> Diesels will always be able to do higher mileage than petrols but will also cost
>> a lot more in replacement parts.
>>
Personal experience, Rattle? I have exclusively owned diesels for 20 years and have yet to have an engine or injection problem. My new Kia has a 7 year warranty so I wont be loosing any sleep.
 Why do we still have petrol cars? - Boxsterboy
I agree Old Navy. I've driven diesels for the last 17 years and in all that time the only 'diesel failure' that affected me was a EGR valve which was replaced under warranty. No injector,DMF or other failures.
 Why do we still have petrol cars? - Dieselfitter
Same here. I kept my Mondeo 2.0 TDCi for 6 years / 112,000 miles, only needing an EGR valve (under warranty) and a air intake hose (£30) in that time. Sold it partly out of worries of what might go wrong. Probably been reading too many forums.
>> Probably been reading
>> too many forums.
>>
And believing scaremongers who have probably never owned a diesel.
 Why do we still have petrol cars? - Armel Coussine
>> the FIRE (petrol) is good for 200k with frequent oil changes.

So the new jalopy should last about 1,000 years at your normal annual mileage, Effendi...
Obviously with a lot of short journeys the engine will wear quicker and there is no way the rest of the car would last that long.
 Why do we still have petrol cars? - idle_chatterer
When we were so much younger the engine in SWMBO's 1990 Uno 1.0L Fire was fine at 70K miles and 7 years old, unfortunately the doors were like teabags - the dreaded tin worm having taken its toll. I suspect (hope) that Fiats are better rust-proofed these days ?

As to the OP, I'd suggest that petrol / diesel and auto-gas powered internal combustion engines will all be around until someone thinks of something better - probably co-incident with the oil running out.
Last edited by: idle_chatterer on Mon 22 Mar 10 at 13:31
 Why do we still have petrol cars? - ....
>> I heard say that in the Fatherland (Germany) they don't allow diesel engined cars in
>> some cities
>> because of their heavy particulate pollution.
>>
That's the Umweltplakette. It applies to pre-cat diesels EUII and petrols without cats.

EUIII diesels and single point injection petrols with cats will be next to be phased out, date to be announced.

Looking at the Alfa Giulietta thread the reason I'd go diesel is for taxation purposes.
128g vs 177g. The reality is I would probably get 26 to 28mpg out of the diesel and 22 to 25 out of the petrol* so the real emissions difference will not be as great as those in the official figures.

* Based on similar size and output engines I have previously owned.
Last edited by: gmac on Tue 23 Mar 10 at 11:25
>> Looking at the Alfa Giulietta thread the reason I'd go diesel is for taxation purposes.
>>
>> 128g vs 177g. The reality is I would probably get 26 to 28mpg out of
>> the diesel.
>>

The urban figure for the diesel is 47mpg. You would get way more than 26-28!
Volvo claim 43 or 44, I forget the exact figure, for my S60 D5 mid to high 20's is all I get in Germany. In the UK at 70 I get 52.
Faced with an empty autobahn and a 400 miles trip I get a move on. In the UK I'd get to share a room and shower with big Dave (not the one on here I would hope) for a few months.
Last edited by: gmac on Tue 23 Mar 10 at 14:45
 Why do we still have petrol cars? - Focusless
>> Volvo claim 43 or 44 I forget the exact figure for my S60 D5

The 2008 brochure states urban figures of 31.4 for the manual and 27.7 for the auto.
www.volvoclub.org.uk/pdf/s60/S60MY08PDFPriceList.pdf
My car is a MY2005 EuIII urban 32.8, extra 57.6, combined 44.8
 Why do we still have petrol cars? - Focusless
>> My car is a MY2005 EuIII urban 32.8 extra 57.6 combined 44.8

Ok, so given that the urban figure for the Alfa is 47, wouldn't you expect to get a much higher mpg out of it than for your Volvo?
Last edited by: Focus on Tue 23 Mar 10 at 15:41
Not cruising at three figure Autobahn speeds, no.
I'd be extremely happy to be wrong but I can't see 40+mpg at 120 mph being achievable, unless slipstreaming an Audi Q7 :)
Last edited by: gmac on Tue 23 Mar 10 at 15:44
>> Not cruising at three figure Autobahn speeds no.
>>

Stop teasing us poor camera-blighted Brits!!
That's why I never speed when I'm back in the UK these days.
I used to be an outside lane driver, I don't need the grief now so just stick to the limit and try to time my journeys when the majority are tucked up in bed.
>>> That's the Umweltplakette. <<<

(environmental badge) Thanks gmac.
 Why do we still have petrol cars? - car bore
>> Given current diesels complexity I woulnt entertain one. All you need are some moderate failures
>> mechanically and it wipes out any fuel savings unless you do big miles and your
>> lucky enough to have found a reliable example.
>>

Agree that modern diesels are more complex at the moment, however to comply with more stringent emissions standards more and more petrol cars are having direct injection similar to common rail diesels. Therefore it stands to reason that petrols will soon be as complex as diesels.
 Why do we still have petrol cars? - L'escargot
My main reasons for not buying a diesel are ...........

1. They're noisy.
2. It's difficult to escape the smell of diesel. You get it on your hands when you fill up because the fuel that runs down the pump nozzle onto the pump handle doesn't evaporate like petrol does. There's invariably diesel on the ground surrounding the pump which you can't avoid stepping in. It transfers from your shoes onto your car carpets and onto your house carpets.
 Why do we still have petrol cars? - Alanovich
I have now run diesel cars since June 2004.

I have never, ever had a single problem as detailed in L'es's point 2. And I have never once made use of the free gloves at the pump.

If you've never had a diesel, you can't have any idea how much these so called problems are actually myths!

The only thing I dislike about the diesels I've had is the poor pick up from standstill when cold on some models. And the slightly greater vibrations at tick over which can be experienced.
 Why do we still have petrol cars? - Snakey
I've had diesels in the last 4 cars I owned and have just switched to a petrol engined golf. Its only a small engine (1.4) and manages about 43mpg overall, compare to my previous focus diesel which averages 42mpg.

OK the focus had more power, especially in the 50-70mph range but I don't miss the noisy engine, the incredibly slow warm up in the winter and the fear that something major might go wrong (like it did on my jaguar x type diesel before that)

For my next car i would actually consider a petrol hybrid.
 Why do we still have petrol cars? - Bellboy
its dirty smelly horrible stuff no more to be said,its alright for what it was originaly which is heavy oil and utilitarian vehicle usage
its on the fact that successive governments around the globe have insisted petrols werent economical enough that diesel technology has got to the state now of a fine hand made watch,drop it in a puddle and your inheritance has gone

petrols for me anyday especially old 4 star and the smell of unburnt fuel on the overun
 Why do we still have petrol cars? - PR
New petrol engine technology is now taking off, so I imagine that will "help" with petrol cars. Fiat's new multiair engines have impressive figures. The MiTo Cloverleaf hot hatch has a 170BHP petrol engine but averages a little under 50mpg, which are impressive numbers. (Whether they are attainable or not is another question!!)
Although I'm a 'petrolhead' I have owned 2 DERV's
One was a nifty little Citroen AX 1.5 non turbo, non DPF, non high pressure common rail, non DMF
(non power output!)
T'other one was a Discovery XS automatic jobbie = nice!
If this shower that reside in a side street orf Whitehall manage to work the oracle come the election, I'll be orf back to Espana (for good), and will purchase another DERV.
>> I have never ever had a single problem as detailed in L'es's point 2. And
>> I have never once made use of the free gloves at the pump.
>>
>> If you've never had a diesel you can't have any idea how much these so
>> called problems are actually myths!
>>
The snail is either allergic to diesel or is a believer of myths. I haven't had these problems either, If they existed half the car owners and all the commercial vehicle drivers houses would reek of diesel. I don't think so, and my petrol owning family members and friends don't mention a problem with my house, or are being polite, (no chance).
>> The snail is either allergic to diesel or is a believer of myths.

Why just pick on me? Why not have a go at Marc and Bellboy as well and really get it out of your system?

:-D
>>Why just pick on me?>>

Sorry L'es, I thought you would be honoured to be on the recieving end of my gentle abuse. :-)
>> Sorry L'es I thought you would be honoured to be on the recieving end of
>> my gentle abuse. :-)
>>

No probs. I had a moment of weakness and dropped my guard.
>> If you've never had a diesel you can't have any idea how much these so
>> called problems are actually myths!
>>

I've never owned a diesel but I've driven, and filled up, numerous diesel cars and vans in the course of my working life ~ either test vehicles or pool vehicles. Filling up perhaps isn't as much of a problem if you wear shoes with man-made material soles, but my shoes are all leather and if I tread in some diesel it soaks into the soles.
 Why do we still have petrol cars? - crocks
The days of diesel pumps being separate from the petrol ones are rapidly running out.
Virtually all the places I visit have the petrol and diesel nozzles on the same "pumps".
So I get the diesel on my shoes even though I've filled up with petrol.
 Why do we still have petrol cars? - grumpyscot
My car - diesel - gets 45mpg and does about 20,000 a year. Cost overhead to buy the diesel version was about £1,000. Diesel costs 1p more per litre than petrol. SWMBOs car is petrol (same size car) gets 30mpg, and costs £1,000 less than diesel version. She does about 5,000 miles a year. I've had two pairs of shoes and a pair of trousers ruind by diesel spill from the end of the nozzle. No such damage experienced with petrol version.

Conclusion? Petrol is far more cost effective for low mileage and doesn't ruin your clothes.
 Why do we still have petrol cars? - MrTee43
AAAAAhhhh !

I love the smell of diesel smoke in the mornings.

I really do.
>> I love the smell of diesel smoke in the mornings.
>>

Me too.

Reminds me of when we used to go sailing as a kid I used to smell the exhaust fumes at the stern (the boat had a Volvo Penta diesel to get in and out of port).
 Why do we still have petrol cars? - Bellboy
i prefer my ports in a glass thank you
 Why do we still have petrol cars? - Iffy
The smell of diesel fuel reminds me of filling the tractors on the farm when I was a child.

We had a bulk tank and used jerry cans and a big metal funnel with a gauze filter.

The pink diesel used to fob - foam - a lot as we slopped it into the tractor.

Personal contact with the fuel was inevitable with this method of refuelling.

Why do we still have petrol cars? - Fursty Ferret
Never spilled diesel on myself and with regard to diesel on the ground in front of the pump - well, you'll stand in it regardless of whether you drive a petrol or a diesel?

I can't stand the smell from older diesel engines, but also hate the stink of unburned petrol from cold engines. Don't think there's an easy solution. Don't like the way you have to give the Passat some welly when it's cold and at low revs, but I'm sure my Honda 2.0i used to be the same.

No contest now anyway with that 70mpg 165hp BMW.
 Why do we still have petrol cars? - Pat
Castrol R and methanol smell better:)
Joop is for wusses!

Pat
 Why do we still have petrol cars? - MrTee43
Methanol ?

I thought that stuff was very dodgy.

I had a friend who used to drag race top fuel funny cars and bikes and I remember being behind one of those, while it was idling in the pit area, how my eyes stung like hell from the fumes.
Why do we still have petrol cars? We need petrol cars to use all the petrol that's being produced. If we didn't have petrol cars the world would be awash with petrol. Duh!
>>> We need petrol cars to use all the petrol that's being produced. If we didn't have petrol cars the world would be awash with petrol <<<

Surely, petrol is more expensive to produce from oil than diesel is.
A DERV will run on, well - waste cooking oil.
If we didn't have petrol cars, the world would be awash with - oil :)
Latest Forum Posts