Motoring Discussion > Got my new car sorted Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 99

Got my new car sorted - Stuu
Finally the end is in sight :-)

I had a look at the trade-in today, didnt reckon much on it so passed on it, box felt abit crunchy and it was owned by a heavy smoker.

I sat and waited while he racked his brain about what he could get me in and finally he came up with something they had on site which id not looked at before.

It wasnt quite what I had in mind, but it actually ticks most of my boxes and a few other nice if it has it boxes. Its sort of me, but not. Its quite rare, but not the sort of rare car id usually look at.
Its low miles, it was owned by a well-off family and was on a private plate plus it is totally immaculate, in better condition than the Wagon by some margin.
Its costing me £150 extra to move to it but the deal was fair given its value and the test-drive showed a totally sorted car that felt like new, not a noise or even a squeak from anywhere. Pick it up Sat, cant wait.

I expect Rattle can guess what it is, he is usually spot on ;-)
 Got my new car sorted - Zero
He cant he is too stressed out.

Just tell us.
 Got my new car sorted - Bellboy
hate to put the mockers on things but most private plated cars i buy i find are usually poorly serviced and run on a shoestring by the previous tight gits
 Got my new car sorted - Armel Coussine
Sounds like another dodgy eccentric shed you can't get parts for then...

:o}
 Got my new car sorted - -
They don't half pull your leg Stu.

Who the dickens is Ivanstu?....you haven't found a Moskvitch...please no.
Ill bring it round, see what you make of it ;-)
 Got my new car sorted - Manatee
>>I expect Rattle can guess what it is, he is usually spot on ;-)

I think I got the last one.

Skoda?
The new cars name is Ivan - we name all our cars, usually with a wholly inappropriate name.

Car feels like a goodun, thats all that matters to me and its already been checked over, I really couldnt fault how it drove, theres not even a scuff on the bumpers.
 Got my new car sorted - Skoda
Ivan the Lada?
Ok, clue - they went rallying with one.
skoda estelle
Peugeot 106 Rallye?
 Got my new car sorted - Old Navy
Lada Niva? :-)
Manatee on the right track although slightly more cultured than one of them.
306?
Proton Wira
Going cold ;-)
Lancia Stratos.
That would give him apoplexy ON!
 Got my new car sorted - RattleandSmoke
He said its rare.

I am too tired and stressed to play the game though, at the moment I can't even think of any Suzukis yet alone name a model. My brian is blank.

I have a feeling it is a Daihatsu Terrios or something as rare!
 Got my new car sorted - Fenlander
>>>ive never known a man so motivated to make sure the car he is selling has no faults at all. I suspect it will get the fine tooth comb treatment, he made a remark that it is inconceivable that they sell me another problem car.

>>>had a look at the trade-in today, didnt reckon much on it so passed on it, box felt abit crunchy and it was owned by a heavy smoker.

You see it's not just the car being a lemon you have to think of.... it's the sales dept taking the mickey at every turn you need to recognise. Most of us would have had a full refund two weeks ago.... not *that* car from out the back they thought would never sell.

We can just hope it's a nice reliable 207 or Mondeo for a few years rewarding ownership.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 1 Mar 11 at 20:58
The car had only just turned up at the dealer ( the old Ignis ) and none of them had driven it before me. As soon as I said the syncro was weak on 3rd he said right scratch that, not even going there, lets see what else we have. There was no effort to persuade me.

Ive been vague about the car im getting, but it was a retail car anyway, not a 'special' just for me in a corner of the yard.

Have a laugh ;-) made me smile.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Tue 1 Mar 11 at 22:33
Is that the car you turned down or the one you have bought?
One I bought.
Looks different, quite a bit newer than the other cars :). Hopefully it will be reliable and cheap to run.
Pity its not red, but then you would need a cat.
Oh c'mon, atleast its not boring - certainly isnt to drive, its best fun ive had in ages, seems to find a second wind at 3500 rpm like VTEC cars, its addictive.
I have to say, for you, that's really rather daring. And almost mainstream.

The brutal shock therapy on here must be working!
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 1 Mar 11 at 21:26
45 mpg and 0-60 under 9 seconds - it could almost be diesel.
 Got my new car sorted - Runfer D'Hills
Looks alright that does Stu. Bit more your generation this time. Good luck with it.
In truth, I knew it was there, but id discounted it because it was a 3dr and I loath the white wheels, but then I drove it and I couldnt stop grinning, its bonkers, it feels alive and I swear it whispers "faster" in your ear. It handles too. Its fast, but not so fast as you cant use it.

My wife thinks its an early mid-life crisis - can you imagine the look on the face of a young lad who knows what it is but can insure it, sees me pootling along with me flat cap on - its worth it just for that moment - incidentally the insurance hits hard - a whole £2.30 extra a month over the Wagon R - its great to be a 30 something :-)
>> 45 mpg and 0-60 under 9 seconds

Thats an either / or equation Stuski, you wont get both together.
 Got my new car sorted - ....
>> >> 45 mpg and 0-60 under 9 seconds
>>
>> Thats an either / or equation Stuski, you wont get both together.
>>
He could with a Volvo V70 D5 and it would give him space to carry the new car around.

I feel hugely deflated. When I read the earlier clue about Pug 106 rallye being along the right lines I was thinking go on Stu, Metro 6R4 or rs200, the extra £150 being a nominal fee for a towbar for a trailer for his kit...Should at least have been a Delta Integrale.
Cracking. Like it.
 Got my new car sorted - BobbyG
Stu, how much gear do you carry with you for your job?
Ey up though, you'll need to pop out and get some ball clanger jeans, a hoodie and a big woolly hat now...

Oh and some hi-tops...

Looks like a fun car actually.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Tue 1 Mar 11 at 21:38
 Got my new car sorted - corax
I like the drug dealer window tints.
>>I like the drug dealer window tints<<

I know, it has a slight tint on the front windows too which ill be removing if it looks easy - Im sure a hairdryer will sort that, but ill leave the backs since many jap cars have that, infact many new cars do these days.

My stuff fits in, it has a very clever loadspace which makes excellent use of the back end of the car, I measured it.
It really is an interesting car, a lot better than your old one. You see you now have a car which is not just a tool but something you should actually be able to enjoy as a toy too.

I hate 3 door cars too but at least the boot looks it has easy access.
Yeah, the rear seats fold flat with the boot floor, but theres a false floor in the boot about 3 inches deep so you can hide stuff in there aswell. Ill take a pic of the load area when I get it, its much bigger than the outside suggests it would be.

I think it may be the car which cures my motoring itch.
Last edited by: Ivanstu31 on Tue 1 Mar 11 at 21:46
 Got my new car sorted - -
Nice motor Ivan...getting quite addicted to SWM's little C2 pocket rocket, so i know how you feel 'bout this.

You'll want an alloy wheel brush for that Stu. I could let you have one ( with a free bike rack ) for £25...

:-)
I sponge my alloys and with white ones, looks like ill spend half my evenings washing these ones. They are immaculate though so worth maintaining.

If I still have it in a year ( I should hope I will! ) Im going to investigate having them sprayed silver, can keep originality for the nerds.
It would look nice with an aluminium bike rack on though. I'll knock a quid off if you don't want the brush...

:-)
Haha, nice try :-)

I like the 'its almost mainstream' comment - its a limited run ( 1200 ish I think ), japanese oddity thats had the banzai treatement - its even more left-field than my usual but apparently they have some level of cult following ( which I wont be participating in! ).
I see they took off the decals before trading it in :-)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDXkd6_H8cA

Every clue is that it will have been ragged about from day 1 but that's not always a bad thing. It does look genuinely interesting & I hope it turns out OK.
Im not sure it has, it doesnt feel slack at all - ive been driving a 20k hire car SX4 and that feels baggy, its clearly been ragged alot and feels it. The Ignis feels taut and slick, so either they can handle abuse or this is one of those which was owned by someone who didnt buy it to shred the tyres.
 Got my new car sorted - R.P.
Stu,

I've removed your link for now - you've left a postcode in it - let me know if you want me to re-instate it..

Rob
 Got my new car sorted - Focusless
>> I've removed your link for now

That explains it - couldn't understand why everyone was commenting on the car, and I couldn't work out what you were all talking about!

EDIT (what is it?)
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 2 Mar 11 at 09:12
Suzuki Ignis.
 Got my new car sorted - Focusless
>> Suzuki Ignis.

Thanks ON. Nice one Stu.
 Got my new car sorted - John H
snip - belittling comments removed
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 2 Mar 11 at 10:48
 Got my new car sorted - FotheringtonTomas
It's going to fall to pieces, or the engine (and/or) gearbox will explode and the bottom drop out. I don't know what it is yet, but I will read the rest of the thread with interest.
Nope. I still don't know what it is. Perhaps the threading is remarkably but not unusually effed up.
 Got my new car sorted - Hard Cheese

I find this guessing cars almost as tiring as changing user names ;-)

Stu's post that PU deleted identified it as a Suzuki Ignis.

Pay attention, the guessing game ended last night. :-)
Not just an Ignis but a blinged up white alloy'd, yellow calipered, white dial, blacked out windows, recaro seated, lowered suspension machine.

Link to it with a random postcode inserted... tinyurl.com/4ea5y2g
Last edited by: Fenlander on Wed 2 Mar 11 at 09:56
 Got my new car sorted - Pat
Surely Stu would have posted that link if he wanted it on here?

Pat
He did... PU only removed the first link as Stu had put his postcode in the search.

Again you underestimate me Pat... I would never add any info that the poster hadn't put themselves.... and in Stu's case there's almost nothing left to reveal.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Wed 2 Mar 11 at 10:01
>> He did... PU only removed the first link as Stu had put his postcode in
>> the search.
>>

snip - belittling comments removed

PU could have saved a lot of hassle just by deleting the postcode and other details from Stu's link.

As I have done here with Fenlander's link:
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201108380467830/

Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 2 Mar 11 at 10:47

>> He did... PU only removed the first link as Stu had put his postcode in
>> the search.
>>

So who's postcode is PE28 ... ...

Got my new car sorted - Pat
Exactly

Pat

Reckon that's Fenlander's gaf, not Stu's ...
>>>Reckon that's Fenlander's gaf

Oh.... no... I've far more *stuff* than that.... my girls look very uncertain when I tell them one day this will all be yours.
Have you seen their faces when you say "Invite your friends round"
Hmmm.. we are the only parents of their friendship group to live such a rural life and have such a large collection of old railway sleepers, creosote, corrugated iron, old Which magazines & Dysons.

But on the other hand I'm the only Dad to know who Pixie Lott, Little Boots, Paloma Faith, Tinchy Stryder, Plan B etc are.

It's a good/bad balance.
Oh for goodness sake Pat... as I said it was an entirely random postcode... not related to me, Stu, my family, another forum member... or anyone else!

>> ... or anyone else!
>>

It certainly relates to someone living in Goldpits, Warboys, Cambs ...

OMG ... now you've given away that location!
>> It certainly relates to someone living in Goldpits, Warboys, Cambs ...
>>

They've got some spare wheels (rims and tyres) on their drive, including some white ones for the Ignis -
tinyurl.com/4fltz5o (Google maps link)
Last edited by: John H on Wed 2 Mar 11 at 10:43
I hope the Ignis hasn't been towing that!
Damn... by chance have I ended up giving away the previous keepers location?
 Got my new car sorted - Mapmaker
Those estates near the Royal Oak are some of the most depressing bits of the fens.
I should point out that of course I run my business from home, so my address is very much in the public forum and unless someone here has a particular need to come set my front door on fire, Im not especially worried about location exposure since its already known, but thx for concern anyways :-)
 Got my new car sorted - Bromptonaut
>> Im not especially worried about location
>> exposure since its already known, but thx for concern anyways :-)

Sorry Stu. It was me who flagged it for the moddies. Made similar 'mistake' myself a couple of weeks ago with an alert from the Gov News Network that was tailored/addressed to me by name.

I'm prettty careful to steer clear of commenting on stuff too near my own area of work but I still prefer to remain anonymous!!
>>
>> So who's postcode is PE28 ... ...
>>

as the man said: "random postcode"
 Got my new car sorted - BiggerBadderDave
Smart little motor and a billion times better than those Wagon Wheelie Bin things.

I like the rear head rests.

Best of luck with it Stu, hope it marks an upturn in your affairs.

Half a tank of gas too...
Last edited by: BiggerBadderDave on Wed 2 Mar 11 at 10:05

>>
>> Best of luck with it Stu, hope it marks an upturn in your affairs.
>>

Agreed 100%.

Though it does seem a lot of money for a 6/7 year old Suzuki, doesn't it?

Got my new car sorted - Alanovich
Nice motor, stu. I'd like to keep a 4Grip Ignis at my apartment in Belgrade, but just can't justify the cost.

I really like Igniseseses, and will be recommending them to my niece when she turns 17 next year.
I cannot believe you paid those scoundrels MORE cash. Bit like a 419 scam, surely.

OMG. It's an OMG car, no doubt about it.
>> OMG. It's an OMG car, no doubt about it.
>>

What will be the insurance company's reaction to all those modifications?

Amazingly John they are all standard on this sport model.
Ah, it's an Ig. Could be a good one.

It's a pity about the windows, though. The mileage is a definite worry.

Hope it goes well..
A grand over book clean retail and they dont come down to match the money the punter already gave them for a lemon
still think troll
come on guys no one would spend their OWN MONEY £3695 on a 7 year old blinged car
 Got my new car sorted - Alanovich
>> A grand over book clean retail

That's main dealer prices for you, especially those south of Grantham.
Glass's gives 1800/2200/2400 as trade in. I'd guess it's the sort of car that a dealer will look at and offer less as it'd be impossible to shift. So the dealer has doubled his money.
At least he wont be in my way on the A43 or the A14 now. Or he shouldn't be. If he is he will get a thick ear for bimbling around in a pocket rocket.
I bought a car from a main dealer knowing there was a huge mark up, its no big secret.

Insurance company were fine. Theres only one modification is the windows and being a good lad, I declared them which made a £5 a month difference.

Scarily, the rest is standard although I may do something with the horrid headrests - I feel a session with a black spraycan coming on.
>> At least he wont be in my way on the A43 or the A14 now.
>> Or he shouldn't be. If he is he will get a thick ear for bimbling
>> around in a pocket rocket.

And lets be honest, He cant hide and say "It wasnt me"

Not in that.
I wouldnt call tinted windows blinged, they is quite common these days.

Your not very good at your sums either, I didnt pay £3695 for it...
Just had a look on AT at Sports. Values range from £2700-5200 ( ! ) so the £3450 Im paying for mine doesnt seem unreasonable, regardless of what valueless book prices say.
The way some traders hang onto book prices like they mean a whole lot amuses me, because when you trade in a car, they love the phrase 'not making book these days' but suddenly when selling and you question why its above book value, they are in demand. Its a load of smoke and mirrors, car values, you pay what you feel a car is worth, not some grotty little book used by traders to play whatever tune they want at the time.
The value of any car is what you can sell it for.
I recall selling my dads Honda Intergra Type-R ( not a dissimilar jap nutty car to the Ignis although somewhat faster ).
The book price back in 2001 was somewhere around the £10k mark - I advertised it for him @ £12500 and it sold in 36 hours for £12250. My dad was amazed, but I said its the kind of car that if people want it and its a goodun ( my dads was mint ), people will pay over book.

Got my new car sorted - Lygonos
The last of the Ignis Sports were being sold brand new for £5995 in 2006 from dealers in Lanarkshire and I think Colin Appleyard in the Manc area.

Think RRP was around 10 grand, and DTD were selling them for £7200.

Had a look at the time but too small for me.

Good cars, unsure how they handle mileage though. Doubt you'll see the right side of 40mpg though in the real world - rather low geared in 5th.
>>Doubt you'll see the right side of 40mpg though in the real world - rather low geared in 5th<<

Well that was my thought, but then I read two owners reviews in different places saying they were suprised but they got an easy 45 mpg ( and many more saying it was cheap to run ).
I think that because the car doesnt have a complicated high performance engine, its just a 1.5 VVT strapped into a light car, its small enough to still give reasonable fuel returns.
I also dont spend much time above 60 in my day-to-day use, so a low-geared 5th isnt much of an issue - it is quite loud at 70 although not much more than the Wagon to be fair and it gets abit quieter over 80... ( shh did I say that? It couldnt be me that dropped a 3-series on the A14 could it... ).

If anyone can get the right side of 40 mpg, it will be me - if I can get 43 mpg from a worn Carina auto, Im sure I can manage this.
These engines will respond to an Italian tune-up regularly. They are in a reasonable state of tune with 110hp from the 1.5 - it does have a 'VTEC' effect as it employs VVT, although nowhere as noticeable as a Civic VTi of the same era (160hp from a 1.6).

The original alloys (white) tend to bubble near the centre.

The exhaust parts are expensive.

The headrests as mentioned are horrid! Yellow mesh not suited to anything other than carrying oranges. The seats themselves can be very comfy - Recaros.

As a pocket rocket - great machine.

Not sure how the old spine will enjoy the ride, can't remember if the ride was in any way compliant!
>>These engines will respond to an Italian tune-up regularly.<<

May have sorted that on test drive... :-) I did notice the engine note got harder at 3500 rpm and there is no real power drop off until near the redline - its great for overtaking.

Im going to take care of the alloys, so hopefully they wont bubble too much, I couldnt see any when I checked it over yesterday.

I did find the seats very comfy, I liked the amount of side support, helps with my back.

I found the ride firm but not jiggly.
>> still think troll

Take care Bellboy, there are some sensitive souls around here. I've already had two posts in this thread today, with loads of smileys around them, fail to escape the censor's snip!

As an aside I noted this Parker's reader review: tinyurl.com/4pqlp96

Rather than showing the shortcomings of the car it really just advertises Mr Futcher has run out of skill.

Or his car was wearing rubbish tyres.

*EDIT* - on rereading it's definitely the former - especially as he BSs about being able to heel/toe

/rolleyes
Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 2 Mar 11 at 12:34
Latest Forum Posts