Motoring Discussion > Responding to random acts of kindness Legal Questions
Thread Author: Felix Replies: 26

Responding to random acts of kindness - Felix
Hi all,
SWMBO was the victim of a hit-and-run driver yesterday, she was on a mini roundabout and some guy pulled out straight in front of her... while she was pulling over he disappeared into the morning traffic. Car's a bit of a mess though fortunately she was unhurt. We thought there was no witness on the scene. However we went to the police station to report it on the off chance, since there were CCTV cameras on the junction. When we got there we were told that another driver had witnessed it and had come straight to the station to report it - he also gave his name and adress and said he'd be willing to be called up as a witness if necessary. Shows there are some decent people out there. SWMBO was understandably very grateful and wanted to send a card or even flowers to the witness by way of thanks. However I was thinking it would be unethical, or even illegal, to contact a witness in any way. Should we leave it until the whole thing is resolved (hopefully in our favour)?
Thanks
 Responding to random acts of kindness - Iffy
...Should we leave it until the whole thing is resolved (hopefully in our favour)?...

You are wise to be careful in this situation, but the risk is not great.

Also, you don't know what the witness is going to say, although I agree it is likely to be in your favour.

Flowers would definitely be over the top. but nothing to stop you sending a short note.

You could do so to let the witness know SWMBO is not hurt, which he may not be aware of.

Just go easy on the thanks.

Responding to random acts of kindness - WillDeBeest
I'd route any contact through the police until the case is resolved. It might compromise the witness's credibility if there was any suggestion of collusion. You could simply ask the police to tell him that you appreciate his public spirit; that would be enough for me.
 Responding to random acts of kindness - Manatee
I'd be interested to hear how that turns out. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the car is no longer with the registered keeper, and in any event uninsured, as transpired when I was run into by somebody who didn't stop.

The police made minimal efforts to find the car and driver (I found it myself parked at a travellers' camp 1/2 mile away) and seemed happy when they had inspected my driving licence, insurance and MoT.
>> I wouldn't be surprised to find
>> that the car is no longer with the registered keeper, and in any event uninsured,
>>
When she gave the registration of the other car to her insurance company they said it showed up there was insurance on it - when I saw it was an L reg I'd feared otherwise - so that was a hopeful sign. However for the guy not to have stopped does make me wonder whether it was stolen or something like that. If you were insured and the registered keeper you'd surely be crazy not to stop, what have you got to gain? Clearly he knew he'd been in a collision since he did apparently slow right down - the details are a bit fuzzy, it obviously happened all very suddently, but it looks like SWMBO tried to swerve behind him but still hit him side-on.
...The police made minimal efforts to find the car and driver...

Were I the OP, I would proceed on the basis the police will do nothing and the other driver will never be traced.

I would also be hoping I was wrong.

Responding to random acts of kindness - Fenlander
Never assume the witness will support your side so don't make contact with flowers now. Obviously the fact the other driver cleared off goes against them but bear in mind if Mrs Felix hit the side of another car on a mini-roundabout it is equally possible the other car was already on the roundabout with right of way. You do comment she says it's all a bit fuzzy.
When I said it's a bit fuzzy it's because it was all very sudden and she was understandably shocked afterwards. She's a very competent driver well used to the cut and thrust of London traffic. When she went onto the roundabout the coast was clear and it was obvious that this guy was screaming in from the left and had no intention of giving way. She said she had an inkling he wasn't going to stop and so that might have averted a worse accident. Of course there is no way of knowing what the witness will say but I'm quite sure where the blame lay.
>> Were I the OP, I would proceed on the basis the police will do nothing
>> and the other driver will never be traced.
>>
I know what you mean but surely her insurance company will be pressing to recover costs from the other driver's company if they can?
 Responding to random acts of kindness - hobby
>> ...The police made minimal efforts to find the car and driver...
>>
>> Were I the OP, I would proceed on the basis the police will do nothing
>> and the other driver will never be traced.
>>

To give them their due, I was involved in an accident whilst on my motorbike and the car involved was registered at a false address and had driven off... They kept trying and just before Christmas I got a letter to say they'd traced him, given him points on his licence, a hefty fine and "here's his insurance details, sir!"... lovely present, though a nasty one for him!
...lovely present, though a nasty one for him!...

Nice to hear a positive police story for a change.

I just think the OP needs to get on with getting his car fixed/written off, which I suspect he is doing.

Hopefully his partner's insurance will try to recover costs from the other side, but insurance companies seem remarkably sanguine in these situations.

Maybe sometimes it's because they are all part of the same group and can't be bothered to chase Peter to pay Paul.

Responding to random acts of kindness - Alanovich

>> Nice to hear a positive police story for a change.

Ever thought that, just perhaps, the positive stuff doesn't get told very often because it's seen as boring and doesn't shift copies of your favourite rag to people looking to be outraged?
...Ever thought that, just perhaps, the positive stuff doesn't get told very often because it's seen as boring and doesn't shift copies of your favourite rag to people looking to be outraged?...

No, never in my wildest dreams had I thought that.

But I had thought how dreary it is that some people have to drag everything back to the same tired, hackneyed, dull and boring agenda.

It must be a real handicap to operate in such a mental straitjacket.

Last edited by: Iffy on Wed 2 Mar 11 at 11:01
Pot, kettle, black.
...Pot, kettle, black...

Nope, I take each situation on its merits because I don't have your strong convictions to guide me.

For example, I drew the forum's attention to someone who claimed they had been badly treated by the Daily Mail.

I can see bad as well as good in the paper, your blinkered view allows you to see only the bad.

Ignoring the Daily Mail is the diametric opposite of operating in a mental straightjacket. It is squarely aimed at those who do live in such a thing.

My mental straightjacket has allowed me to vote Tory, LibDem, Green and UKIP in the past in various different elections. It's quite loose, really. But not loose enough to allow me to ever vote Labour!
...But not loose enough to allow me to ever vote Labour!...

My open, enquiring mind has always stopped me doing that, and I think it always will.

Pass the straitjacket, will you?

Responding to random acts of kindness - Bellboy
dont bug the witness it will make them think you are a stalking them
give all details to your insurance company
get onto your legal protection insurance
flowers and wine come as a thank you when job done
 Responding to random acts of kindness - Mapmaker
Last time I sent in a witness statement I got a text message by way of thanks.

Actually that was the time before last. The last time I merely offered to the solicitor to give a witness statement and am still waiting to see if they want one.
 Responding to random acts of kindness - nyx2k
my father was knocked off his motorbike 5yrs ago and very seriously hurt.
hes been not able to work since and in the last 12 months has managed to start walking again.
the driver was a hit and run but luckily a witness came forward but only 12 months later when the whole area was leafleted extensively by the lawyers involved.
that witness was enogh for the poliice to trace the driver and for my dad to get a large compensation.
Thanks for all the advice, that's pretty unanimous. We'll let justice run its course and see what unfolds and hopefully have a pristine looking Panda 100Hp back on the road before too long...
 Responding to random acts of kindness - Mapmaker
I'm not sure it's a "random act of kindness" is it? That's paying for a mars bar for a small child who has run out of money, or letting somebody in front of you in the queue at the Railway station who is about to miss a train.

This is surely just being polite?
 Responding to random acts of kindness - Clk Sec
>>When we got there we were told that another driver had witnessed
>> it and had come straight to the station to report it - he also gave
>> his name and adress and said he'd be willing to be called up as a
>> witness if necessary. Shows there are some decent people out there.

>>This is surely just being polite?

A tad more than 'just being polite, surely?
 Responding to random acts of kindness - Zero
There may be an element of outrage here.

If you witness an act of extremely aggressive nasty driving that results in an accident, would you think "good - I'll act as a witness to get the bleep bleep nailed"

I know I would.
I don't know exactly what you call it, I think it's just "doing the right thing", not necessarily kindness and a bit more that mere politeness but I couldn't have fitted that into the subject heading :-)
 Responding to random acts of kindness - Stuartli
It's more than just kindness - many people prefer not to get involved in such matters.

They would probably be very upset though if they were faced with a similar incident and potential witnesses looked the other way...:-)
 Responding to random acts of kindness - Clk Sec
>>but I couldn't have fitted that into the subject heading :-)

Looks OK to me as it stands.
Latest Forum Posts