Motoring Discussion > MPV vs Estate Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 19

MPV vs Estate - movilogo
What are the differences between MPVs and Estates?

The only one I can easily see that MPVs usually have higher seating position.

Do they handle differently within legal speed?

Versatility - more or less same in both.

So what makes people choose one against another?

MPV vs Estate - ....
The MPV will have a bit more space than even the biggest estate and yes, they do handle differently due to the highr centre of gravity.

You don't get as many estate cars with seven seats these days, they have been passed over to the MPV role.

We chose an MPV because we occasionally need seven seats, my wife wanted something a bit higher for getting the little ones in and out the back, and I wanted something with the lowest CO2 rating which did the above.
 MPV vs Estate - -
Some if not most MPV's are van based which should mean tough reliable and durable.

Berlingo and it's brother and Kangoo seem to show this to be the case.
 MPV vs Estate - Runfer D'Hills
We have one of each. The estate is old, miley and careworn. The MPV is new and pristine. The estate is just a much nicer drive. Depends on your needs and preferences of course.
 MPV vs Estate - ....
>> The estate is just a much nicer drive. Depends on your needs
>> and preferences of course.
>>
I was just thinking about that. We have an MPV and a four door saloon. When I get back in the car, the response of the car is so much more immediate. It really is noticeable.
 MPV vs Estate - Focusless
>> Some if not most MPV's are van based

When you say MPV I think of Ford C-Max, Renault Scenic, Vauxhall Zafira, Citroen Picasso - these aren't based on vans, are they? I agree that the Berligo and Kangoo are, but I would have thought that based on sales, most MPVs are based on cars. Happy to be corrected though.
 MPV vs Estate - spamcan61
Reasons for choosing a Zafira over an estate:-

1) Higher seating position makes manouvering sleeping tots in and out of car seats less back breaking.

2) Position of middle row of seats is adjustable so you can have 5 seats with loads more rear legroom than an estate.

3) Shorter vehicle for same carrying capacity as estate ( OK some, like FR-V, are wider which negates easier parking in some cases)

4) Somewhat higher driving position gives better visibility
 MPV vs Estate - Zero
>> >> Some if not most MPV's are van based

recently its been the other way round. Renault produced a van based on and after the scenic (not sold in the uk) and VW morphed the Touran into the caddy.

I would not say small vans are tough these days .
 MPV vs Estate - -

>> Citroen Picasso
>> - these aren't based on vans are they? I agree that the Berligo and Kangoo

Picasso is Berlingo based with an electric handbrake thrown in on the new one, though you are right the others are car based.
Thinking about it more seems to be a PSA trend utilising van underpinnings on their MPV's, and i've seen more of their underwear than others, i don't think it's a bad thing, van suspensions last well, and as shown by Berlingo/Picasso ride well.

Smaller ones like Zafira, C max, Scenic etc i tend to see as cars with a bit of height.

MPV vs Estate - Marc
"When you say MPV I think of Ford C-Max, Renault Scenic, Vauxhall Zafira, Citroen Picasso - these aren't based on vans, are they?"

These aren't full size MPVs though like the Shalaxambra, Espace or Voyager.

The main advantage of a proper MPV is the ability for seven seats and luggage space (ie crumple zone) without someone sat right up against the tailgate like you used to see in old Merc and Volvo estates with the two occasional seats clipped in the boot (the cheap seats as I call them)

Recent legislation regarding child restraints now means that anyone with more than two kids is forced to buy an MPV as three full size restraints cannot sit abreast on the rear bench seat found in most cars (including estates and the likes of Zafira, Megane Scenic, CMAX etc)
 MPV vs Estate - spamcan61
>>
>> The main advantage of a proper MPV is the ability for seven seats and luggage
>> space (ie crumple zone) without someone sat right up against the tailgate like you used
>> to see in old Merc and Volvo estates with the two occasional seats clipped in
>> the boot (the cheap seats as I call them)
>>
We very very rarely use the Zafira in 7 seat configuration, almost always 5 seats plus load space, where the advantages ( at least for our usage) over an estate still stand without the increased size of the full-on MPVs.
Of course the other subliminal advantage with MPVs is the additional stability they create in marriages. Let's face it you are not going to pull in one those are you....

;-)
 MPV vs Estate - -
Oh i don't know i get some looks as i cruise by in the pick up, mostly from fellers.
 MPV vs Estate - Zero
>> Of course the other subliminal advantage with MPVs is the additional stability they create in
>> marriages. Let's face it you are not going to pull in one those are you....

Things a bit slow then since you got the Squashcow Humph?

Never mind - you need the rest.
Oh I hung up my rutting trousers many a year ago Zero. One's enough.......
 MPV vs Estate - Avant
It's horses for courses. The MPV is higher off the ground, so the handling won't be as involving as a 'normal' car. More convenient for kids, luggage and arthritis, but less fun, not to mention the other aspect pointed out by those clean-living chaps Humph and Zero.

Peugeot are trying to blur the distinction with the 3008 and 5008 - if anyone on here tries one of these perhaps they'll let us know if the compromise has been successful.
Last edited by: Avant on Sun 21 Mar 10 at 21:50
 MPV vs Estate - AshT
We run a couple of MPVs - with four kids there's no real option. I had a play with a Volvo 960 before I bought our first one, but the extra seats were impractical for our needs.

Even without the need for extra seating I think I'd prefer the Espace now to a regular family car - the extra space, comfort, and versatility are much more important to me now than the handling (I must be getting old!)

And there's no chance at all of pulling with four kids in the back...
Last edited by: AshT on Sun 21 Mar 10 at 22:59
 MPV vs Estate - Boxsterboy
We have an estate (E class) and an MPV (C8).

The Merc is undoubtedly nicer to drive - better steering, more comfortable, quicker, a nicer 'feel' generally. But the C8 is bigger, the kids see out better and the large windscreen and raised driving position make it a more relaxed experience (which it always will be given the 'performance' for the diesel auto drive-train).

Wife prefers it when we take the kids in the C8. I prefer it when we take them in the Merc.

Horses for courses!
 MPV vs Estate - tyro
Questions:

What is the definition of an MPV? What is the definition of an estate?

I have seen the Berlingo categorised as both, and one does get cars which blur the boundaries. So is there actually a definition of where an estate ends and an MPV begins?

And for that matter - is there a definition of where a hatchback ends and an MPV (or estate) begins? Something like the Ford Fusion strikes me as being difficult to categorise.
 MPV vs Estate - movilogo
>> What is the definition of an MPV? What is the definition of an estate?

Estate = a saloon with extended and covered boot at (up to roof level)
MPV = A van with windows and rear seats

Last edited by: movilogo on Mon 22 Mar 10 at 13:36
Latest Forum Posts