Motoring Discussion > Mudflap damage to paintwork. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 21

Mudflap damage to paintwork. - Old Navy
As I have had previous cars paintwork damaged by mudflaps I only fit mine for the snow and grit season.

I removed mine yesterday, the area behind all four mudflaps was packed with wet mud and grit and it was probably salty as well. (I didn't taste it!)

This area has now been washed and polished, the mudflaps are cleaned and hanging in my garage and will stay there until next winter.
 Mudflap damage to paintwork. - Clk Sec
Sounds like they are more trouble than they are worth, ON.
It only takes a couple of minutes to fit or remove each one, they protect the impact area behind the wheels from road grit damage.

Us pensioners have to keep ourselves amused !
 Mudflap damage to paintwork. - Clk Sec
Valid point.
 Mudflap damage to paintwork. - Zero

>> Us pensioners have to keep ourselves amused !

By stuffing salty mud up your arches?

Never had stone damage by not having them, seen plenty of rust caused on others where the flaps fix on tho.

Mudflap damage to paintwork. - Tooslow
We're not into the polishing season are we? I like the car to dry well before I put polish on and in this cold, damp weather you just can't get rid of all the moisture.

Well that's my excuse anyway. April maybe.

John
>> We're not into the polishing season are we?

No go back to sleep, this is swooshing muddy salt out of your arches season.

We'll wake you up when its clay bar day.
 Mudflap damage to paintwork. - Tooslow
Ta. With a cup of coffee please. Milk, no sugar.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

John
 Mudflap damage to paintwork. - Bellboy
buy the right polish and you can use it hail rain or wind
mudflaps should be made a legal requirement on some cars where wheels can chuck up bollies on to following targets (me for example)
 Mudflap damage to paintwork. - Falkirk Bairn
Taking off mudflaps to clean the car may appear excessive but a neighbour takes his alloys off and cleans the insides probably 1 x month - he washes the car 2-3 times a week in summer - winter 1-2 x per week.

OCD?
 Mudflap damage to paintwork. - sooty123
Possibly, maybe trying to get some peace away from the missus?
 Mudflap damage to paintwork. - -
>> OCD?
>>
Not at all (he defended quickly;), doubt he suffers from corroded brake calipers or pipes, spots any suspension/bearing/driveshaft weeps before any wear can occur.

Is his maintenance regime as thorough?

I wash the insides of the alloys every week when i wash the car(s), by pushing a sponge through and feeding it round the inside of the wheel, also give the black hammerite painted calipers a quick splosh at the same time.
>> I wash the insides of the alloys every week when i wash the car(s), by
>> pushing a sponge through and feeding it round the inside of the wheel, also give
>> the black hammerite painted calipers a quick splosh at the same time.

Did you paint the bit of the calipers that slides against other bits? You know the part where the hammerite has worn off exposing it to the elements, you know that bit that actually sticks?

I have this fabulous suit I can sell you. No-one else can see it but you and I know how good it looks...

Yes OCD.

It was designed not to be painted, and as long as the caliper its cleaned at brake pad time it will function as designed, indeed as it was built.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 5 Mar 11 at 10:45
 Mudflap damage to paintwork. - Kithmo
Last time I fitted a set of mud flaps to a Mondeo, the proper Ford dealer supplied ones had a clear plastic self adhesive strip the stuck onto the bodywork, behind the flaps, to prevent them rubbing the paint.
 Mudflap damage to paintwork. - Fullchat
Old Navy

On that other site we visit there have been reports of chaffing mudflaps.

I took mine off, wash and brush up and a wipe over. Some staining which polished off and then some ACF 50 spray before refitting.

I'm sure they will take some of the bite out of road debris impacts.

Inner wheel washing, yes I'm guilty of that. The accumulation of brake dust can eat into what paint there is on the back and start to work its way round the front.
 Mudflap damage to paintwork. - Bellboy
On that other site we visit
>>>>>>
>>>> ooh sounds really interesting
do you have a linky ;-)
on second thoughts the hat dont fit
>> On that other site we visit
>> >>>>>>
>> >>>> ooh sounds really interesting
>> do you have a linky ;-)
>> on second thoughts the hat dont fit
>>

As we both own the same make of car............

>> As we both own the same make of car............

I bet thats a see'dy site...
 Mudflap damage to paintwork. - Fullchat
Well Seedy! :-S
 Mudflap damage to paintwork. - Boxsterboy
>> there have been reports of chaffing mudflaps.
>>

Aaagh. That brings a tear to my eye!
 Mudflap damage to paintwork. - -
>> Did you paint the bit of the calipers that slides against other bits? You know
>> the part where the hammerite has worn off exposing it to the elements, you know
>> that bit that actually sticks?

Of course, can't have bits of caliper sliding around can we.;)

The calipers were painted when new, well on proper cars they are.

There's those who run cars, and those who maintain them to last.

The worse case of mud flap paint damage i've seen was on the family BMW compact, the rear mudflaps rubbed grooves in the bumper, let alone the paint, where they wrap around the outside of the bumper by about an inch.
By the time i'd discovered it, too late to worry about removing them.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 6 Mar 11 at 07:05
 Mudflap damage to paintwork. - Manatee
I've never been aware of any damage but I've never looked for it.

Butyl mastic between the flap and whatever it sits against would keep the grit out, and enable you to leave them there more or less permanently. Something like Sikaflex 710. It never really sets, and will flex with any movement.
Latest Forum Posts