Motoring Discussion > Comma Engine Oil Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 32

Comma Engine Oil - Robin O'Reliant
This brand has been round for ever and seems considerably cheaper than the better known stuff, you can get five litres of semi-synthetic for £13.99 on ebay.

Is it as good as the regular brands, or cheap crap to avoid?
 Comma Engine Oil - Bellboy
you would pay the same at the factors so it seems priced right to me
remember semi syn is so last century too for most newer cors.....
 Comma Engine Oil - Robin O'Reliant
>> you would pay the same at the factors so it seems priced right to me
>> remember semi syn is so last century too for most newer cors.....
>>
No probs, my car is pretty last century too.
Last edited by: Robin Regal on Sun 6 Mar 11 at 19:46
 Comma Engine Oil - CGNorwich
surely if the spec meet manufacturer's requirements then it should be fine
 Comma Engine Oil - Zero
Semi is fine for the low stressed lancer.
 Comma Engine Oil - Lygonos
Is the Lancer on 9 or 12k intervals ?
 Comma Engine Oil - Zero
The service book says 9k, I have it on a 12k interval tho. Semi or full synth is not specified in the service book.

Comma Engine Oil - DP
Our PD TDI Golf seemed quite happy with their 505.01 brew in its sump between the last two services. Pretty cheap as well - 5 litres with an extra litre for top-ups (which, in the end, I never even opened) cost me less than twenty quid.
 Comma Engine Oil - bathtub tom
My local factor supplies it. I've used it for years in all my motors with no apparent adverse effects. If it meets the spec, then it's good enough for me.

I've recently discovered my factor sells Planet oil, made by Comma. It's even cheaper and meets the spec, so I'm now using that.
 Comma Engine Oil - Zero
I wonder what oil goes into Halfords bottles?
 Comma Engine Oil - Hard Cheese

>> I wonder what oil goes into Halfords bottles?
>>

I suspect you know, it is Comma and is made to very high standards.

Comma Engine Oil - Zero
>>
>> >> I wonder what oil goes into Halfords bottles?
>> >>
>>
>> I suspect you know, it is Comma and is made to very high standards.

Which is why I am quite happy to throw it into the lancer.
 Comma Engine Oil - Stuartli
>>with an extra litre for top-ups (which, in the end, I never even opened>>

I've had four VWs (all petrol) in the last 19 years, the first being a 1.3 Jetta that had already done 66.5k. None of them has ever used any oil, needed topping up or even left just one tiny oil deposit on my light coloured front drive flag paving...:-)
 Comma Engine Oil - DP
>> I've had four VWs (all petrol) in the last 19 years, the first being a
>> 1.3 Jetta that had already done 66.5k. None of them has ever used any oil,
>> needed topping up or even left just one tiny oil deposit on my light coloured
>> front drive flag paving...:-)

I used the half litre or so remaining in the 5 litre can about 8000 miles in to top up from about half way between Min and Max on the dipstick.

Our petrol 1.8T uses a little more (750ml to a litre), but that's done the wrong side of 140k now, and by its nature, tends to be driven a little harder.

Apart from the odd "Italian tune up", the PD is never taken beyond 3000 RPM. It doesn't need to be.
 Comma Engine Oil - Zero

>> Apart from the odd "Italian tune up", the PD is never taken beyond 3000 RPM.
>> It doesn't need to be.

And the ears cant stand it.
 Comma Engine Oil - DP
It does 0-100 mph respectably rapidly without doing so. No point. :-)
 Comma Engine Oil - Hard Cheese

>>
>> And the ears cant stand it.
>>

He who used to defend the virtues of the PD has now seen the light ;-)
 Comma Engine Oil - Zero
Pah

Its a characterful growl.
 Comma Engine Oil - DP
I went from a Renault dCi to a VW PD. One extreme of diesel refinement to the other. :-)
 Comma Engine Oil - idle_chatterer
My 170PD drank incredibly expensive VW 507 oil, SWMBO's 2.0L 8v 115PS Golf circa 2000 also used oil and produced mayonnaise from new - another particularly poor VAG engine imho.

Having said that, the 1.4TSi was a peach so I guess someone somewhere at VAG knows how to design an engine..... I think it used oil though.
 Comma Engine Oil - Alanovich
>> Our PD TDI Golf seemed quite happy with their 505.01 brew in its sump between
>> the last two services. Pretty cheap as well - 5 litres with an extra litre
>> for top-ups (which, in the end, I never even opened) cost me less than twenty
>> quid.

Where did you find that, DP? My local factors want 35 quid for 5 litres of Comma 505.01. Never mind the top up litre.
 Comma Engine Oil - DP
>> Where did you find that, DP? My local factors want 35 quid for 5 litres
>> of Comma 505.01. Never mind the top up litre.

About a year ago in a small motor factors in Bourne End, Bucks.

It's not a place I normally use. I just happened to spot it next to an indoor play centre that we take the kids to sometimes. Wandered in and enquired, and at that price I went for it.

ISTRC there was a promotion of some kind on at the time, but it's all a bit hazy now. Definitely a whisker under £20 for the lot though.
 Comma Engine Oil - Alanovich
Cheers, DP. Do you rememebr what they're called? Bourne End ain't that far from me.

A quick google has thrown up this online supplier, priced at 25 quid for Carlube's version.

www.sparesworld.co.uk/acatalog/5w40_PD_Fully_Synthetic_5ltr.html

Duly bookmarked for when the next services are due (I've two TDI PDs requiring this oil).
Last edited by: Alanović on Mon 7 Mar 11 at 14:30
 Comma Engine Oil - DP
Motor Parts Direct, on Wessex Road.

tinyurl.com/6ku3vdd

HTH!

Cheers
DP
 Comma Engine Oil - Victorbox
You can get 4 litres of Carlube fully synthetic oil 5W/30 for £15. Same spec as the £35 for 4 litres of Castrol stuff. tinyurl.com/4zhafum
Last edited by: Victorbox on Mon 7 Mar 11 at 07:13
 Comma Engine Oil - Dog
I was toying with the idea of using Comma or Carlube semi in my 6 year old Almera,

I used Castrol 10w 40 Magnatec semi skimmed in the end, bout £27 in Homebase.
 Comma Engine Oil - FotheringtonTomas
>> Is it as good as the regular brands, or cheap crap to avoid?

I don't know. Is it partly re-cycled oil?
 Comma Engine Oil - Skip
I used to work for a company that did a lot of business with Comma Oil.
Their products are all of a very good quality and they have never used recycled oil, though for some reason it was a very common misconception that they did.
 Comma Engine Oil - bathtub tom
I thought all oils used some recycled stuff.

I suppose you could argue that the crude they're pumping out now's recycled - although the contents have been dead awhile.

Does it matter, as long as it meets the manufacturer's spec?
Last edited by: bathtub tom {p} on Mon 7 Mar 11 at 14:26
 Comma Engine Oil - Dog
>>Does it matter, as long as it meets the manufacturer's spec?<<

I'm a sucker for 'blurb' - I've got a washing machine with fuzzy logic and I use engine oil with intelligent molecules :-D
 Comma Engine Oil - Skoda
Comma products in general seem to be pretty decent quality.

Although so do Carlube / Carplan (Tetorosyl Ltd or something the company behind them is called, UK based). Always spot on price wise but everything i've tried of there's has been very effective.

Although haven't tried their oil yet. Their DOT4 brake fluid is a whisker under requirements for DOT5.1 ISTR.
 Comma Engine Oil - Chas
Comma is part of Esso.

As long as the spec matches, it will be fine to use. Oil tends to be bought on brand or price rather than specification which is the most important factor to take into account.
 Comma Engine Oil - Skoda
>> Comma is part of Esso.

Damn. I hate Esso.

Nothing rational, they've never done me any wrong. Can't think of anything they've done wrong. Just don't like the look of them. I'd fill up at Tesco's before Esso.

Maybe they charge more, i'm allergic to that kind of thing.
Latest Forum Posts