Motoring Discussion > general sat nav rubbishness Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Lamb Chops Replies: 14

general sat nav rubbishness - Lamb Chops
Tom Tom XL 2 - western europe

I want to go to Switzerland from Castleford (well if you were in Castleford, you would)

I will be travelling via the Hull-Zeebrugge Ferry, a concept the Tom Tom does not seem to understand - even selecting the pre-programmed POI for the ferry terminal at Hull (as the single VIA point allowed), it still insists I drive down to Dover and cross the channel there.

How, short of hitting it with a mallet, do I get it to recognise where I am going ?
 general sat nav rubbishness - Stuartli
It's a good question, but why not just program it to guide you from Zeebrugge to your eventual destination?

I'm sure you can find your way to Hull OK...:-)
 general sat nav rubbishness - PR
Thats what I always do. Search for POI in Zeebrugge and take it from there.

Its a nice easy run, Ive done it plenty of times. 2 main options, one is to go to Brussels, then down Belgium into Luxembourg, then France and finally Switzerland.

The other option (more costly but quieter roads) is to duck straight into France and use their motorways
 general sat nav rubbishness - MD
I think Lamb Bones point is that it SHOULD do what he wants and it won't. Grrrrrrrrrr.
 general sat nav rubbishness - Old Navy
>> I think Lamb Bones point is that it SHOULD do what he wants and it
>> won't. Grrrrrrrrrr.
>>

I have a wife like that. :-)
 general sat nav rubbishness - Tooslow
Funny that, she says the same of you ON!

John
 general sat nav rubbishness - Manatee
>>How, short of hitting it with a mallet, do I get it to recognise where I am going ?

I think you've misunderstood the purpose of a simple satnav, which is a miraculous invention to tell you which way to go. It worked you out a route to Switzerland via Hull didn't it?

If you want to devise routes then load them up to follow, you need different tackle - like Garmin Mapsource and a suitable thing to load the waypoints in.

www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/us/maps/tripplanningsoftware/mapsource

Cruise control, by the way, doesn't drive the car for you while you sit in the back reading a book ;-)
 general sat nav rubbishness - MD
It's an Auto, but I still have to be there!
 general sat nav rubbishness - Perky Penguin
Google maps will let you plan your route and when it takes you Dover - Calais you can click and then drag the route to Hull and Hook. I appreciate that this doesn't make your Garmin work but at least you can plan on Google and then split your journey into the UK bit and the Euro bit for the Garmin.
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Mon 7 Mar 11 at 20:18
 general sat nav rubbishness - bathtub tom
Home of the famous Castleford, ladies, magical circle.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=etvjzVVfBa4
 general sat nav rubbishness - Skoda
>> Google maps will let you ... I appreciate that this doesn't make your Garmin work

Click send from within Google Maps, choose Garmin / tom tom or whatever from the drop down.

EDIT: Just noticed the wee disclaimer -- only downloads the destination, not the waypoints you've chosen :-(
 general sat nav rubbishness - hobby
I reckon the satnav's right, LC... I can't think of anything worse than a long sea crossing in a ferry... apart from the M25 at rush hour I suppose!
 general sat nav rubbishness - Old Navy
>> I can't think of anything worse than a long sea crossing in a ferry...>>

Long? Its overnight, I would be asleep, then up for a good breakfast and fresh for the days drive, whats difficult or unpleasant about that? Long is Plymouth to Santander.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 7 Mar 11 at 20:44
 general sat nav rubbishness - DP
If you want to follow your own route, but still have the satnav help you out with correct motorway exits / directions and so on, you can always set up your waypoints manually before you leave. I did this on our run down to Italy a few summers ago using our bum basic £80 Garmin Nuvi, and it worked a treat.

Look at the route you want to take, pick a handful of big towns or cities at roughly equal spacing along the length of the route, and then enter them into the satnav in order. Tell it to find the route to each place, just so it enters the destinations into the history list, but don't worry about letting it actually get as far as giving you the directions.

When you get off the ferry / tunnel, pick the first destination on the list and follow the instructions. When you get about 20km from the first destination, bring up the history list, pick the second destination, and recalculate the route. When you get 20km from that, bring up the history list, and choose the third, and so on.

This covered autoroute / autobahn exits and junctions beautifully, and got us all the way to our destination without a single mistake.

Took all of 15 mins to set up before we left.
 general sat nav rubbishness - Zero
>> Tom Tom XL 2 - western europe
>>
>> I want to go to Switzerland from Castleford (well if you were in Castleford, you
>> would)
>>
>> I will be travelling via the Hull-Zeebrugge Ferry, a concept the Tom Tom does not
>> seem to understand -

Your sat nav is doing its job. It does not know you want to take the longest & slowest route. It only works off two principals, shortest or fastest.

You simply put in two favorites. The hull ferry port and your final destination. Navigate to the ferry port for leg one. Then navigate to your destination once you get to Zeebrugge.

Latest Forum Posts