Motoring Discussion > Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Four days with Giulietta Miscellaneous
Thread Author: .... Replies: 19

Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Four days with Giulietta - ....
My thoughts and ramblings about this beautiful looking car (to my eye anyway from some angles).

I arrived at Newcastle airport to pick up my pre-booked econo-misery-box when I asked the lady behind the counter if the car was a diesel. No, petrol but we do have a 2.0 Alfa Giulietta diesel you can have for an extra £14 and some coppers.
It took me a few seconds to respond I was in shock. Hire companies don't do Alfa's, I thought.

I'll get the negatives out of the way. The cruise control is too slow witted, it doesn't hold the speed downhill the car runs away, the dashboard top (charcoal grey in this model) reflects badly in the windscreen, including the detailing above the instrument binnacle. Final point, the toggle switches on the dash, one was missing, just two holes in the dash where it would go. No function was indicated, I would have expected some form of blanking plate though or rather no holes than two holes.

The car is reasonably rapid in Normal mode, switch to Dynamic and it really comes alive. Steering and throttle respond to the most minute input. This feels like a remap adding around 40bhp to the car, it's a real flyer. When reverting back to Normal you really feel like you have to push hard on the accelerator pedal.
The first three gears easily see you to the wrong side of 70. The price of the instant response is around 10mpg. I flicked from Dynamic back to Normal while running on cruise control, the computer jumped from 34 to 44mpg. I couldn't do a brim-to-brim check on this as the gauge was off full when I collected it.

The stop/start worked effortlessly. I was surprised it only required the car to be brought to a halt in neutral, no brakes - hand or foot - required for the engine to switch off. Restart being activated with a press of the clutch pedal. City driving had me reaching for the override switch, it was switching off every 50m during one run.
Holding the clutch down does override the Stop/Start system but the release bearing probably won't thank you.

The attention to detail outside is amazing for a family hatchback, the front spoiler, side skirts and rear view all very pleasant to the eye. Not sure about the side profile though, the car appears to have a bit of a Roman nose from that angle.
The alloy pedals and Alfa logo embossed in the seats all leave you in doubt which marque you are driving. The trip computer showing the car driving towards you on start-up and driving away when switching off.
The door mirrors are a very good size providing a good rear view. This counters the tiny windows and high shoulder line of the cabin. The A pillars are huge inside, junctions require a boxing weave to check the road is clear.

Would I buy one ? In a word...no.
I loved driving the car, it never failed to put a smile on my face. That engine would surprise the most die-hard petrol head, it revs straight through to the red line especially in Dynamic mode.

An Alfa Giulietta was on the list of possibilities to replace my S60 D5 BUT after only 3000-odd miles the rattles and creaks were there. The drivers window rattling in the door card and a few other squeaks around the interior started to annoy me. I can't live with rattles and creaks.

When I dropped the car back I noticed Hertz had a 500 Abarth sitting. Hmmm...I wonder if it will still be available in a couple of months time ?
 Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Four days with Giulietta - Tooslow
As a kid I lusted after the original Guilietta. A gorgeous car. Almost worth buying just for the name. I've not seen the current one. I want to like it, hell I want to LOVE it, but it looks like a bloated Mito in the photos.

John
Alfa have not lost their touch when it comes to the showy details.
The dials spinning round to max and back when turning the ignition on. I last saw that on my 2002 ZX636R.

The rev counter and speedo reading from 6o'clock to 3o'clock rather than the more standard 8 to 4.

From the photos I had the new Giulietta as bigger than it actually is.
"I flicked from Dynamic back to Normal while running on cruise control, the computer jumped from 34 to 44mpg"

Why would it do that? I can understand that it would use more fuel over the course of a journey but just pootling along on cruise control, why would it use (dramatically) more? Surely there should be no difference? It didn't change down did it?

John
No. It was a manual gearbox. Level road, cruise control on, same gear.
The difference when you touch the throttle is very noticeable. In Normal mode, a hard push on the accelerator and slow pick up below 2000rpm. In Dynamic it just goes.
OK, but you were on cruise so what was it doing with 10mpg worth of fuel?

John
No idea.
I can't explain it, you need to drive one to experience it.
Switch from Normal to Dynamic and the car jumps forward with no extra effort being applied to the throttle.
 Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Four days with Giulietta - Manatee
>> No idea.
>> I can't explain it, you need to drive one to experience it.
>> Switch from Normal to Dynamic and the car jumps forward with no extra effort being
>> applied to the throttle.
>>
That explains it then, the car jumped forward.

Given it's presumably a DBW accelerator that doesn't prove much except the pedal becomes more sensitive. I always thought Fords 'felt' faster in the old days because they had little slack and short travel on the throttle pedal.
 Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Four days with Giulietta - Dave_
"do a boxing weave at junctions"

I know exactly what you mean, that's the price you pay for increased crash safety I guess.
 Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Four days with Giulietta - DP
I was admiring a Giulietta in the M3 car park this morning. Very pretty to my eyes, too.

I would absolutely love an Alfa, but I'd be looking at an older one, and hence well out of warranty.

A late (facelift) 156 2.4 JTD 20v for me please. Finest sounding diesel engine on the planet. :-)
I do like the sound of a 5 cylinder petrol or diesel too DP.
As I can't run to a V8 Mercedes AMG, they sound amazing in the safety car on full throttle at the Nürburgring, I have to settle for the five.
 Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Four days with Giulietta - PR
The slow witted cruise control sounds a lot like the one on the Bravo. When turning it to the on position you have to hold it there for 5 secs or so. I cant think of any reason why this is so.

On switching the DNA to D does this not alter the engine map aswell as the throttle response and steering weight?
>> The slow witted cruise control sounds a lot like the one on the Bravo. When
>> turning it to the on position you have to hold it there for 5 secs
>> or so. I cant think of any reason why this is so.
>>
The Alfa system is not that slow. You do need to hold it for a second or so which feels like an age after the instant response of other systems.
When I switch something on, I want it on, I don't expect it to have to think about it.

>> On switching the DNA to D does this not alter the engine map aswell as
>> the throttle response and steering weight?
>>
That's what I wrote in the OP. It does feel like there is more power there.
>> OK, but you were on cruise so what was it doing with 10mpg worth of
>> fuel?
>>
>> John
>>
Thinking about it, the only thing I could come up with was it coincided with the end of a regeneration cycle of the DPF. I don't know what method of DPF is employed however DPF regen does affect fuel consumption so that could go some way to explain the difference.
Did you try it on any twisty stuff? I took out a Cloverleaf (1.75Turbo petrol, 235BHP) and it stuck to the road like a limpet. I was immensely impressed with the ride aswell. It certainly is a sorted chassis. Made my GTA feel like a bone shaker!!
 Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Four days with Giulietta - Avant
I sat in one in a showroom but didn't take it any further because there was nowhere to put my left foot when not on the clutch - let alone a footrest.

That's a more important point than perhaps it sounds if you're going to drive long distances.
Yes it is an issue for some. The Bravo doesnt have one either and I thought this would be a problem on long journeys (and I mean long - 1450 miles from Middlesbrough to Rome), however, you soon get used to resting your left foot on the floor.
The lack of footrest wasn't really an issue for me I put my foot under the clutch pedal. The proximity of the centre console to my left leg was more of an issue forcing me to keep my leg straight where I would normally bend it to the left.
I know Alfa's of old had a strange driving position, it still needs work for me, after 100 miles my right leg was starting to ache.

I did get it on the twisties PR, with 225/45x17 tyres it did hang on well. I suspect when it does let go it'll be a handful to catch such is the level of traction control or they'll need a big brush to sweep up.
Last edited by: gmac on Tue 8 Mar 11 at 23:37
 Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Four days with Giulietta - Mike Hannon
I don't get it. Why can't the car just be 'dynamic' all the time?
Maybe there should be a button marked 'sluggish'?
Illogical, hard to see out of, rattling and creaking. Oh dear, no change there then. And I really would like another Alfa. Sigh...
The DNA system is quite clearly a "fudge" to get the car's emission / economy figures low, and also offering a sporty ride. Users report they can however get better economy figures running in N mode so I suppose it has its uses!

The one I drove was a demo and very solid, no rattles or squeaks (it had about 800 miles on it). Try one, you may even like it ;)
Latest Forum Posts