Motoring Discussion > Highway Code Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Cliff Pope Replies: 6

Highway Code - Cliff Pope
I thought the HC was a government publication setting out official advice on driving dos, don'ts and rules.
I bought a copy last week and was surprised to find that it now appears to be an AA publication. It has a lot of stuff about joining the AA, and in the middle some pages looking a bit like the old HC.
I thought the AA was a private motoring organisation. Having already claimed to be "the 4th emergency service" they now seem to be a govenment agency as well.

Do we now have to stop when ordered to do so by an AA officer, or only when he is in uniform?

(It was however nice to see that the "hand signals to indicate your intentions to a policeman directing traffic" are still there. I have never actually had an opportunity to make the red indian "Pow" sign, and don't think I could do so with a straight face)
 Highway Code - kensitas
Do we now have to stop when ordered to do so by an AA officer, or only when he is in uniform?

But how would you know if (s)he was if (s)he wasn't - 'Plain clothes' AA officers maybe?
 Highway Code - Crankcase
Interesting - looks like you bought the AA's own version though, not the "official" version.

The "official" one is at the official shop here, for comparison:

goo.gl/QMqE

But was last printed 2007, so I guess there must be a new one due soon.

Highway Code - L'escargot
>> Interesting - looks like you bought the AA's own version though not the "official" version.
>>
>> The "official" one is at the official shop here for comparison:
>>
>> goo.gl/QMqE

In calling it "Official" they must realise there are spurious copies being sold.
 Highway Code - Cliff Pope
I bought it in Smiths - there were lots in the maps and guides section, it said it was the HC, it never occured to me there were pirate versions.
I suppose I'll have to buy the real version now in case this one has inaccuracies.
 Highway Code - Focusless
>> In calling it "Official" they must realise there are spurious copies being sold.

I don't think the AA could sell it without permission from the appropriate authority, who I'm guessing get a cut of the proceeds. I think they're just covering themselves in case for example the AA version has a misprint such as 'red traffic light means go' :)

EDIT: personally I would be happy to use the AA one if it's cheaper and based on the most recent 'offical' HC
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 24 Mar 10 at 09:21
 Highway Code - L'escargot
>> ........ personally I would be happy to use the AA one if it's cheaper and
>> based on the most recent 'offical' HC
>>

The online version is even cheaper. tinyurl.com/2rvaah
Latest Forum Posts