Motoring Discussion > The A5 at Chirk, Wrexham, closed for 2/3 days Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 12

The A5 at Chirk, Wrexham, closed for 2/3 days - henry k
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/8582284.stm

The A5 at Chirk, Wrexham, was closed in both directions at 1620 GMT on Monday ....will remain closed for "at least two to three days"
 The A5 at Chirk, Wrexham, closed for 2/3 days - R.P.
From what I read in a local rag there is a very high bridge an the parapet has been compromised - i.e. one of the wagons went through the fencing, I'll try an find a link to the story - may go some way to explaining why it has been shut for so long.
www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2010/03/23/two-dead-after-crash-on-a5-at-chirk-55578-26088618/

Photo explains what I was tying to say.

tinyurl.com/ylx2ote link to maps.google.co.uk shrinked to restore page width

Steetview of the bridge gives some perspective as to why it may be closed for so long.

If you look at where the A5 is really straight and crosses the river - zoom in on there.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 23 Mar 10 at 19:08
 The A5 at Chirk, Wrexham, closed for 2/3 days - merlin
There are a couple of bridges in this area where the A5 crosses valleys. Both are high and impressive to drive across. It's the worst possible place to have an accident though.
Last edited by: merlin on Tue 23 Mar 10 at 19:21
 The A5 at Chirk, Wrexham, closed for 2/3 days - rtj70
I would imagine it's a long way down from there to the (?) canal below. They have no option but to close for safety reasons. I know that stretch of road reasonably well - we visit Chirk at least a few times per year.

Edit: I now assume it's not where the road crosses the canal.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 23 Mar 10 at 19:24
It is the bridge over the Afon Ceiriog all you can see from the bridge is the top of very tall trees - a huge drop to the river below.
 The A5 at Chirk, Wrexham, closed for 2/3 days - Runfer D'Hills
So many welsh place names seem like anagrams
And Scottish ones don't ? :-)
I've been to Pwhelli several times but I still can't pronounce it. It always comes out something like Poo Welly.
 The A5 at Chirk, Wrexham, closed for 2/3 days - rtj70
>> Pwhelli

You cannot even spell Pwllheli!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwllheli
 The A5 at Chirk, Wrexham, closed for 2/3 days - henry k
........could reopen earlier than expected.
Wrexham council said it hoped the road could be reopened on Wednesday but bad weather had hampered efforts.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/8585257.stm

>> Pwhelli
>> You cannot even spell Pwllheli!

Exactly ! My case rests.......Pah !

The A5 at Chirk, Wrexham, closed for 2/3 days - Alastairw
I know this road quite well (used to live in Oswestry) and it is very high. In fact I had a look at it being built from a light aircraft - it would have been about 1989.

Everyone is complaining that the diversion adds 40 mins or so to journeys. How quickly we forget that before the bridge and bypass were built, that was the normal journey time.
Latest Forum Posts