Motoring Discussion > Car insurance - why do they make it so damn hard? Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 13

Car insurance - why do they make it so damn hard? - RattleandSmoke
Quick story.

Dad injured himself in late November, has only start driving again now.

My car blew up and I sold it so I have not had a car since Feb

Dads car was sat there doing nothing and it wasn't looking likely he can drive again for ages. I put the car in my name and simply swapped my existing policy to my dads car. My dad then canceled his insurance.

My dads now driving again so I added him as a named drive no problem I thought. But it now turns out he wants to start doing some jobs in the near future so he will need business insurance. Phoned up current insurance company and they said its impossible as they are both seperate businesses. They would only insure my dad for pleasure use.

So I found a further solution, I suspend my policy until May (when I get my brand new car) and then find a new insurance company for my dads car. So now got to take out a new policy from a new company which will allow us both to use the car for business use. The car then be transfered into my dads name and I will be the named driver on his policy.

Why is this so damn difficult, it now means having to fill in the V5 yet again to take the car out of my ownership.

Car insurance - why do they make it so damn hard? - bathtub tom
I've two cars, both registered in my name. SWMBO is insured as the main user on one, me on t'other.

SWMBO retired from her main job (I'm already retired). I asked about business use on both cars as SWMBO has retained part of her old job that requires visiting various sites and it's preferable if she takes the old Kia Pride to some of them, if you understand what I mean!

Both policies took a reduction in premium because of this.

I don't understand it.
 Car insurance - why do they make it so damn hard? - Mapmaker
Me £600.
Me & ex girlfriend £480
Me & current girlfriend £720 (only apparent difference is that current has not been driving quite so long)
All three of us £580.

That's fully comp. Make it TPO and it doubles...
 Car insurance - why do they make it so damn hard? - rtj70
Insurance and registered owner are different things aren't they? Did you ever need to change the owner on the V5?

I can see how two drivers cannot use the same vehicle for business use on the same policy. It would be open to abuse.
 Car insurance - why do they make it so damn hard? - RattleandSmoke
The insurance was more expensive if I was not the registered keeper (more risk or some crap) and since my dad will be the last owner of the car the number of previous keepers dosn't matter, it may as have had 1066 former keepers!

It just annoys me because half the drivers out there are probably driving with invalid insurance without realising it!
 Car insurance - why do they make it so damn hard? - Pat
>>>All three of us £580.<<<<

The mind boggle MM, would you care to elaborate?:)

Pat

Car insurance - why do they make it so damn hard? - midlifecrisis
Try insuring a red Audi A3 'Black Edition' with an Indian call centre.

Me...Colour: "Red"
Them...."You said it was black"
Me....."No, it's a 'black edition"
Them....."So it's black"
Me..."No it's red".

Me..."It's a sportback"
Them..."So it's a sport"
Me...."No, it's a sportback, a 5dr"
Them" So it's a sport. Is that a 3dr or a 5dr" ..........and on and on and on!!!!

The certificate for my red, 5dr, A3 came back as ..you guessed it..a black, 3dr A3.
Last edited by: midlifecrisis on Wed 24 Mar 10 at 08:52
 Car insurance - why do they make it so damn hard? - idle_chatterer
>>
>> The certificate for my red 5dr A3 came back as ..you guessed it..a black 3dr
>> A3.
>>

Usually Insurance companies use the DVLA / registration database, this has caused some hiccups for SWMBO who has a "cherished plate" (wonderful euphemism), in fairness most insurers seem to cope quite well.

So your whole black/red 3 door saga shouldn't have happened ?

However on the prices people have been discussing - it's all down to risk, for instance the chap with the cheaper insurance with his ex girlfriend on is probably statistically safer when deemed to be in a relationship with his ex (due to her age or profession I'd guess).

As for Rattle, SWMBO's insurance covers me for business use (not that I use it often) as part of her own business cover and self/spouse, we definitely work for different organisations although we are not self employed. Perhaps your Dad's (or your) use is a higher risk.

It's all maths and statistical probability.... The models behind it are pretty complex these days and the old days of gentleman's agreements on trading floors with 'back of fag packet' calculations are long gone.
 Car insurance - why do they make it so damn hard? - midlifecrisis

>> Usually Insurance companies use the DVLA / registration database this has caused some hiccups for SWMBO who has a "cherished plate" (wonderful euphemism) in fairness most insurers seem to cope quite well. So your whole black/red 3 door saga shouldn't have happened ?

Car was brand new, not yet delivered and didn't show up on the database! (Although I doubt it would have made a difference)
>>
>> Car was brand new not yet delivered and didn't show up on the database! (Although
>> I doubt it would have made a difference)
>>

That's usually SWMBO's problem although (as I said) they're generally able to cope. However garages can take a lot longer - I suspect that they update their DVLA data less often ? My sister who we sold one of our cars to a few years back often had to quote both SWMBO's cherished reg and the standard reg when booking servicing or obtaining parts !
 Car insurance - why do they make it so damn hard? - scousehonda
I was thinking the same thing but didn't like to ask!!
 Car insurance - why do they make it so damn hard? - Old Sock
With respect, Rattle (andSmoke!), you do appear to have a penchant for over-complicating matters!

Insurance Co's like nice, straightforward scenarios, you know :-)
 Car insurance - why do they make it so damn hard? - movilogo
When I insured my Suzuki Ignis 5-dr, I got a good quote and went ahead.

One week later, when I received certificate it said "3-dr". I rang and wanted to rectify.
They said it will require 30% increase in premium as it becomes a different car now (hang on, usually 3-dr cars are sports model and that should have higher premium).

After a long argume, they wouldn't budge, so I cancelled insurance with them (within cooling off period).

Finally got it from elsewhere who got 5-dr right first time.

When I added my wife (who has learner's licence) my premium went down by 10%.
>>
>> When I added my wife (who has learner's licence) my premium went down by 10%.
>>

Married men are considered to be more 'stable' and statistically have fewer accidents.... The premium is all down to the statistical probability of you making a claim and the projected cost of the damage you'll cause.

This is why 3rd Party, Fire and Theft for young drivers is so high - the insurer doesn't care about them writing off their own car - it's the havoc they wreak hitting other things which costs.

As to your 3-Door / 5-Door Ignis, maybe the 5-Door bodyshell costs more to repair ?
Latest Forum Posts