Motoring Discussion > Renault Twingo Renaultsport - Gordini time! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ian (Cape Town) Replies: 10

Renault Twingo Renaultsport - Gordini time! - Ian (Cape Town)
Renault Twingo Gordini

I’m still grinning. If ever I’ve enjoyed testing a car, this was it.

The Renault Twingo Gordini (RS) – to give it its full name – may not be the quickest, most well-appointed, nor practical vehicle out there, but I don’t care. It is fun.

And in these days of correctness and worry, occasionally it is good to be able to let your hair down and enjoy a car for the car’s sake, not see it as a necessary tool.

The Gordini won’t win prizes for top speed, ride comfort or versatility, but who cares? What it does, it does well.

At R215 000, it isn’t your average day-to-day car, but it doesn’t pretend to be.

Styling, in homage to the great Gordini racers of the past, may be a touch over-the-top to some, but the subtlety of some of the features also shows this isn’t a boy-racer kit car, this is a vehicle with a fine pedigree.

The Gordini is instantly recognizable with twin white ‘racing’ stripes, white mirrors, big white surrounds for the front air scoops-cum-foglights, and a white mini-spoiler on the hatch. But those stripes are’t plain white - a relief in the print hints at the lineage; and there is discreet use of Gordini and RS badges elsewhere on the car. Quite in-your-face, but this isn’t a shrinking violet.

Inside, the racing theme continues. The stripes are mirrored on the steering wheel; the seats and doors feature blue panels and stritching; and the rev counter ‘blue-lines’, instead of the traditional red.

The gearknob is also metallic blue, but strangely doesn’t feature a shift pattern graphic. So your first attempt to find reverse can be fun. (right and downwards, by the way…)

The model we drove had an (optional) panoramic roof, which has a handy ‘favourite’ control – which will open it to your desired position with just a single touch.

But you aren’t interested in all that, are you?

With the 16v 1.6 litre engine developing 98kW and 160Nm, the Gordini goes like a rocket - remember, the base model Twingo comes with a 45kW 1.2 mill - and with the chassis arguably one of the best in the business, you can keep the power on through the twisty bits, if you are so inclined.

The larger wheels and lo-profile tyres (195/40R17) help as well, and though I’m not inclined to push the envelope that often, the Twingo certainly instills confidence with its sure-footedness.

Pottering round town, the ‘easiness’ of the bigger engine and five-speed box are on par with most other small hatches, but given the opportunity to push the loud pedal, the acceleration is quite astounding. A gearshift light flashes at 6750rpm, and from about 3500 rpm upwards, the Gordini certainly pulls. The exhaust note becomes a growl, the torque builds, and the little car starts to show its roots. The grin just widens as you whip through the gears, and the schoolboy in you screams to be let out. Traffic circles? No problem – use 450 degrees to turn left! Freeways? Fun to see what blazing acceleration this thing has. The Gordini is there to be enjoyed.

The downside, though, is the punishment I took. On rough roads, the bumps transmitted right into my skeleton, and after a week, I was feeling decidedly creaky. That exhaust note, though charming at first, isn’t conducive to freeway speeds – 4000rpm at the national speed limit means this is NOT a long-distance option – and the radio is so feeble, you can’t even drown it out with some music!

But in the pre-dawn hours, with the stars shining through the open roof, and an open strip of tarmac ahead, who cares about trivial issues? Certainly not me. I was too busy smiling.

Engine: 1598cc four-cylinder petrol

Transmission: 5-speed manual

Power (kW) 98 @ 6750rpm

Torque (Nm) 160 @ 4400rpm

0-100km/h 8.7s (claimed)

Fuel economy: You're kidding, right?

Price R214 900
 Renault Twingo Renaultsport - Gordini time! - Stuu
Sounds like a latter day Ignis Sport. I was wondering what I could get next....
Kos, goes like stink!

Love it. LOVE IT!
Handed it back, and got a Suzuki SX4 (?)
Not the same. Hate the CVT box.

Yesterday got a Honda hybrid (CR-Z)
Brilliant so far. 10x better than that hideous Insight I was saddled with!

Came in to work today with Steve Winwood blaring, and the 'sport' button activated. GET SOME!

(Oh, a Mr Clarkson is in the country at present - interviewed on SABC - and he was raving about motoring here: "We ask 'can we do...' and everyone is so helpful. In Britain, somebody in a hi-vis jacket will be looking for excuses why you can't...")

>>Handed it back, and got a Suzuki SX4<<

How weird. I took my Ignis in today and I got an SX4 loan car - it feels soooo slow and lumbering after the Sport. Apparently it has like 100 BHP but I couldnt find them!
>> >>Handed it back, and got a Suzuki SX4<<
>>
>> How weird. I took my Ignis in today and I got an SX4 loan car
>> - it feels soooo slow and lumbering after the Sport. Apparently it has like 100
>> BHP but I couldnt find them!
>>

That sodding CVT box!
Brilliant at 70mph+ (2K revs - what a pleasure!), but useless about town.
I had to constantly play with the flappy paddles to give it any keep-up-with-the-traffic.
Otherwise, was impressed with the ride, and comfort/quality of the seats.
I found the SX4 was a great car for flying down poorly made roads and country lanes where the ground clearance makes sense.
I wouldnt buy one though, there are a few design compromises like the way the rear seats fold which I find irritating and the manual box is a bit clunky.
That said, its certainly not a bad car and I think my wife would love an auto version for herself.
auto, yes. CVT no.

I see no sense in buying an auto and then having to 'paddle your own canoe', as it were.
The kids (8 and 10) liked it, and that's what counts.
Oh, due to bad planning - is Ian is a pfd sometimes? - we discovered that the rorty Honda's backseats are seats in name only.
Rather embarrasing trying to cram two youngsters into a space which would struggle to fit a medium sized suitcase. Outside the missus' work.
MUCH moving and reconfiguring of seats needed.
We got home - thankfully not that far away - with me doing a lot of smashing my knees against the dash, and pushing pedals with my toes. Foetus driving FTL.

Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 22 Mar 11 at 12:52
From what ive read, the UK auto is a torque converter type. Having said all that, I think she is more likely to veer off towards a Splash, she eyes one up everytime we visit the showroom.
 Renault Twingo Renaultsport - Gordini time! - Hard Cheese

I took a Renault Clio Sport for a test drive the other day ... 1998cc, 197 bhp, 0-60mph 6.9secs, great fun and very practical, the engine is not flat at low revs in a Civic Type-R kind of way, rather it has lots of get up and go with a crisp though slightly hard edge to as fits a highly tuned n/a engine.

Also very practical with a decent boot, room for 5 with 5 proper belts and 5 proper headrests.

My only concern is the low gearing though it is quite refined at 70mph despite pulling nearly 3500rpm, the antithesis of the Golf I have at the moment which pulls only 1800rpm at 70.

Mines pulling 4000 rpm @ 70, you kinda adjust to the noise, although it makes the wifes car seem eerie quiet.

Renault Twingo Renaultsport - Gordini time! - DP

>> I took a Renault Clio Sport for a test drive the other day ... 1998cc,
>> 197 bhp, 0-60mph 6.9secs, great fun and very practical,

Our mk4 Golf GTI was very nearly a RenaultSport Clio 172. Big, gutsy engine, lightweight bodyshell, grin inducing handling. I was very, very tempted. Love the way these RenaultSport cars drive. They are among the few properly exciting mainstream modern cars around at the moment.

Decided against, purely on practicality grounds and the small, niggling question whether I really wanted to own an ageing and (probably) well thrashed Renault out of warranty?

An acquaintance has a 182 Trophy. Wow. Just, wow. Proper driver's car. Still commanding ridiculous prices though.
Latest Forum Posts