Motoring Discussion > Mazda MX3 - 1.8 V6 - Owners Review
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 3

Mazda MX3 - 1.8 V6 - Owners Review - nice but dim
I thought I would post first impressions on my new car as some others have after having this car a week now. Some of you may not be bothered to know but for those who are here goes.

Well it is a bit of a change from my usual 1.8 - 2.0 saloon/liftback sub £1k jalopies. The bodywork and paint finish is above average, there are usual stonechips but these have been touched up well. The only flaw is that the rear arches are mildly bubbling but I intend to sort these come the summer. The wheels are clean with minimal curbing and the 205/55 R15 tyres have plenty of tread.

The interior dash and seating is immaculate and very clean and no visible wear. I do find gettng in and out cleanly and without jiggling around a problem. I'm not tall (5,10) but I would imagine anyone taller would have trouble. Once seated the driving position is fine but due to the combined thick B/C pillar, side visibility at some junctions can be a problem especially without a passenger to check. Rear seats are made for shopping only however it is has a decent sized boot with fold down seats.

Now the best bit (I'm not going to lie) is the engine. I've always hankered for a V6 and now after 12 years of driving I've finally got one! The 1.8 engine is fantastic even with 76k miles it is smooth and pulls well from as little as 1k rpm. With only 128bhp it is no ball of fire (I think my old 136bhp Mazda 626 felt quicker) but boy the sound is incredible! The standard twin but pipe exhaust is a little boomy under 2.5k rpm in a nice way and over 4k rpm a smooth transision to a really racy thrum (something called VRIS alters the induction length to alter the engine noise at certain revs).

The not so good bits (apart from interior space is the fuel economy. Two 1/3 refill brim to brims of the 50 litre tank has calculated at 29.5 and 28.0mpg. I would have hoped for more but I guess I've got a car I really want. I hope that steady mixed driving will top out at 30mpg and I guess a nice steady run might hit 35mpg? I think the reason the fuel mpg is low because of the gear ratios. 1st (30 max), 2nd (60 max) is fine but the rest is so short geared. In 5th at 70mph it is turning over at 3800rpm which I'm always looking for another gear.

Inn short I'm bowled over by it, I may have paid over the odds slightly. I paid £1350 but its low mileage, maintained well by previous owner (I know him well) and it has 11 month MOT, 9 month tax and I got good price for my old car.

I would like to hear from BobbyG and JBJ to see what mpg their Xedos 6's are returning however i imaging they have more relaxed gear ratios.

Thanks for reading my review.

Mazda MX3 - 1.8 V6 - Owners Review - nice but dim
Sorry it's not BobbyG its Falkirk Bairn who has the Xedos 6, apologies sent!
 Mazda MX3 - 1.8 V6 - Owners Review - corax
>> In 5th at 70mph it is turning over at 3800rpm

Man, that is high. Not really a problem as the engine is so smooth, but can't be good for economy. If I remember rightly that engine has a short stroke hence being very revvy, but not much torque. I remember these driving around in the early nineties and they were a really nice looking and sounding little car.
 Mazda MX3 - 1.8 V6 - Owners Review - Falkirk Bairn
28-20mpg on average - 36-38 on a long run - say Falkirk Aberdeen 260 miles return
Latest Forum Posts