Motoring Discussion > Whittled it down to three cars ... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 29

Whittled it down to three cars ... - Hard Cheese

Funny how quickly - despite a plethora of cars on the road - one can whittle it down, I have three:

Another 1 Series (we already have a 2005 120i Sport), a 2007 onwards 120i or 130i M-Sport or SE (or perhaps a 120d or 123d), up to around £12k though perhaps a little more for the right car.

A Clio Renaultsport 2008 or later, around 15k - 25k miles, around £9-10k.

A Focus ST-2 3dr, 2007 ish, around 30 - 40k miles, up to £9k ish.*

* I prefer the ST-2 to the ST-3 (the latter is only a four seater) and I prefer the 3dr to the 5dr, I can buy my current Focus ST-2 3dr, 2007, 72k miles, from the lease company though at £7.5k I am thinking it is perhaps too expensive.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Whittled it down to three cars ... - Zero
Wouldn't have the 1 Series, you already have one, and it would be a bit "his n hers" you'll be wearing matching fleeces next.

The clio sport will be fun but a bit wearing after a while.

Whittled it down to three cars ... - Skoda
The selection's not really changed from the beginning :-) What's the restriction dragging it down to just these?

There's so much choice available just now, especially among cheaper to buy larger engined cars. For £7k a quick squizz on auto trader says my bum would be sitting in a Brera or a 159, a 330i, an ST220 v6, an R32, i'd possibly even get over my anti-GM streak for a closer look at one of those Caddy CTS things,

Clio from your 3.
 Whittled it down to three cars ... - R.P.
ahhhhh an Alfa - cue Humph.
 Whittled it down to three cars ... - Runfer D'Hills
...I'm watching the "Gadget Show"...That Bradbury's a nutter....

Brera you say.....

Worth watching it for Pollyanna Woodward ...

An MkV R32 is a good call, thought about GTis and even TFSi GTs though they are too expensive or too high a mileage.

Whittled it down to three cars ... - legacylad
An R32 would be on my shortlist.
If, and when, I tire of the 330Ci
 Whittled it down to three cars ... - Boxsterboy
Yes, as Z said, definitely not another 1. Neighbours of ours had 2 x 3-series (his and hers), just replaced with 2 x X1s. And they don't even work for BMW. Yuk!

I would be tempted by an R32 or your ST2. But you really need your eyes wide open buying used cars of this ilk.
 Whittled it down to three cars ... - Pezzer
The 130i is on my shortlist, having had a 120d. Not sure what your mileage/usage pattern is but on the basis you are currently running the ST I dont suppose the fuel costs will be that different. Plus you get the wonderful BM straight six and i think a car which will be a joy to keep for many years (if you are aware of and happy with the space/size issues).
 Whittled it down to three cars ... - idle_chatterer
I like the idea of the 123d, it's such a pity they don't do this engine in the 3 Series (or 5 Series even) but I guess it's too close to the 325d in output but with better economy and emissions.

Looks particularly appealing in 123d Coupé guise to me (diesel convertibles are anathema to me), maybe in white too. Trouble is I suspect that such cars are rather expensive ? I think the Coupé is the most successful derivative of the 1 series from an aesthetic point of view too.

I agree that the ST-2 spec is a good compromise for the Focus, the basic ST lacks the heated screen and HiD headlamps IIRC whereas the ST-3 has leather trim and other frippery ?

Not sure about the Clio, it gets rave reviews but I think it might be a bit harsh/frenetic for long distance use, also I still can't shake the thought that Renaults are unreliable and a wee bit flimsy.

>> I like the idea of the 123d, it's such a pity they don't do this
>> engine in the 3 Series (or 5 Series even) but I guess it's too close
>> to the 325d in output but with better economy and emissions.
>>

That sums it up though the latest 320d/520d are 184bhp, only 20 down on the 123d.

>> I agree that the ST-2 spec is a good compromise for the Focus, >>

As with the 1 Series Coupe the main issue with the ST3 is only two rear seat belts due to the Recaro rear seats, it is only a four seater.

>> Not sure about the Clio,>>

Think I have ruled out the Clio.

Looks like it is £7.5k to buy the Focus of £12.5k ish on a newer lowere mileage 120i/120d/123d M-Sport.

Seriously considering a 123d or 120d M-Sport ...

... any alternatives that I might not have thought of?

Whittled it down to three cars ... - Dog
How about a proper car ~

cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-S3-2007-57-RARE-MORO-BLUE-2010-FACELIFT-/150588339953?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item230fc3b6f1
 Whittled it down to three cars ... - Iffy
...How about a proper car...

Mmm, stage one remap, category D write-off and an aftermarket 2010 facelift, whatever that is.

No wonder he can't sell it.

The car's about as desirable as Martin's timeshare.

Cat D? 2010 facelift?

Thats the back end of a 2007 and the front end of a 2010. Now thats what I call cut and shut.
Nice colour tho :)
That's a desirable mod in the audi circles, stick a 2010 front bumper / grill on an older car. You pair are showing your age :-P
 Whittled it down to three cars ... - corax
How about one of these,

www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/249631/peugeot_rcz_road_test_review.html
>> That's a desirable mod in the audi circles, stick a 2010 front bumper / grill
>> on an older car. You pair are showing your age :-P

No its not, its showing you cant afford the real thing. Thats derision not desirable.
>> Seriously considering a 123d or 120d M-Sport ...
>>

Whenever I've bought the same car as I 've had before, I'm always a bit disappointed as there is nothing 'new' about the car. Too many fish in the sea!
 Whittled it down to three cars ... - Londoner
>> Whenever I've bought the same car as I 've had before, I'm always a bit
>> disappointed as there is nothing 'new' about the car. Too many fish in the sea!
>>
I keep cars so long that by the time that I need a replacement, the next generation of that model has come out. That's 'new' enough for me!

I don't get tired of owning the same car. Even when I am not particularly fond of a car, it only gets replaced once I've had fair wear out of it.

I don't know if this is actually a curse or a blessing - it certainly *feels* like a blessing to me. :-)
>>
I don't get tired of owning the same car. Even when I am not particularly fond of a car, it only gets replaced once I've had fair wear out of it<<

Perhaps you're not passionate about cars, Londinium - I've had a luv affair with cars for nigh-on 40 years!

An RCZ is impractical and while I would like an S3 the one featured above looks like a cut and shut case and they are a bit thirsty.

No problem having another 1 Series, we would have two then, i.e. it would not be a replacement.

>> No problem having another 1 Series, we would have two then, i.e. it would not be a replacement.

Nice car and all, but 2 of them?

Matching jackets next week? Change into slippers as you come in the front door? :-P
 Whittled it down to three cars ... - rtj70
Get a 3 series?
 Whittled it down to three cars ... - Runfer D'Hills
You want a Mondeo Cheddar you do...Estates are classier mind...

:-)
 Whittled it down to three cars ... - Alanovich
Nah, he wants a Hyundai.

;-)
>> An RCZ is impractical >>

We've got one at work. The boot is a really good size, but the back seat is cramped/low headroom. But then I guess you're used to that with a 1-series?

>>The boot is a really good size, but the back seat is cramped/low headroom. But then I guess you're used to that with a 1-series?>>

The RCZ has only two rear seats, an affliction that affects a number of nice cars, 1 Series, Coupe, the A5, the ST-3 (though not the ST and ST-2 which have five seats) where as the 1 Series 5 dr hatch has five proper seat belts and five head restraints plus a enough room for five people - albeit a bit of a squeeze.

Latest Forum Posts