Motoring Discussion > Driving to (and into) Paris Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PR Replies: 20

Driving to (and into) Paris - PR
A bit of advice please if anyone knows..

We are going to Paris in the car in a few weeks for a weekend. We are then heading south to the Loire for a week so do need the car. I have found a place to park at the Congress de Paris at the Porte Maillot on the West (approx 10 o clock on the peripherique). This is near to the hotel, and not far from the peripherique.

I will be coming from the Channel Tunnel on a saturday morning. It seems there are 2 possible ways to go, on is via the A1 straight on to the peripherique and round, exiting very close to where we want to be. Where the A1 meets the peripherique though is a bottle neck and the nifty google maps traffic predictor has delays here.

The second route suggested avoids this bottleneck, and comes in from the west (A16 - A15 - A86) then in via the tunnel de la Defense. This appears more complicated.

Anyone any suggestions or tips (except not taking the car, not an option as we need it )
 Driving to (and into) Paris - scousehonda
My recommendation about driving to (and in) Paris is DON'T. It is an absolute nightmare.
 Driving to (and into) Paris - IJWS14
In my experience the periphique flows better than the M25 at rush hour!

A16 is better though we normally use it on the way out.
THanks for that. We did similar last year but were coming from the south and were staying on the east side. I found the driving there manic but wasnt too bad.
 Driving to (and into) Paris - BiggerBadderDave
We stayed a few days last year before doing Disneyland - Satnav made it effortless and stress-free.
Yes I have a Tomtom and they are great in city driving. That said hopefully I wont be venturing too far inside the Peripherique!
 Driving to (and into) Paris - Dieselboy
You haven't lived until you've done a circuit of the Arc de Triomphe... Even standing at the top and watching the chaos below is a must-see!
 Driving to (and into) Paris - BobbyG
I have done the peripherique in weekday rush hour so a Saturday should be a dawdle!!

I would just do as much research as you can re your junction, what it is called, what it will be signposted and maybe even what it looks like if Google street view applies.

That way you shouldn't be caught out, realising you are in wrong lane, or missing the signs etc.

Just don't get bullied!
Thanks BobbyG, good advice there. I have looked on street view at the "roundabout" outside the centre and where the car park entrance is. I also drive in Italy a lot so Im fairly confident. Just which route to take...
 Driving to (and into) Paris - Injection Doc
The Loire is only a days drive from the Tunnel and I gave up going Paris way and these days travel via Rouen. Much quieter route and about 2-3 miles longer in general. More of the Auto route is free and the roads are very quiet in comparison.
Paris is OK and have towed my 30ft caravan around the peripherique plenty of times but if there is an accident they tend to shut the roads whilst they are attending and have spent more than once stranded for hours !
We are staying in Paris for 2 nights as SWMBO is doing the marathon. We normally do avoid Paris when we head for the Loire
 Driving to (and into) Paris - Mike Hannon
Don't drive in. Even if you survive it shortens your life expectancy.
 Driving to (and into) Paris - Gromit
Look up viamichelin.fr for directions. On its route finder, it gives neat figures of the actual road signs you'll see along the way. Which is handy for recognising junctions, slip lanes etc.

It also warns you of speed traps and bad road conditions, estimates toll charges, and even suggests where to stop for breaks!
 Driving to (and into) Paris - Boxsterboy
What a bunch of pansies!!

The Peripherique and a lap of the Arc de Triomphe are two of the 'must drive' roads in the world.
 Driving to (and into) Paris - mikeyb
>> What a bunch of pansies!!
>>
>> The Peripherique and a lap of the Arc de Triomphe are two of the 'must
>> drive' roads in the world.
>>

100% agree - you havent driven until you have done Paris
 Driving to (and into) Paris - Armel Coussine
Wimps, absolutely. Mind you I haven't driven in Paris for a few years now and it is said that the mayor, Bertrand de la Noe, is a bit Livingstonian in his attitude to traffic, so the roads may have been cocked up on purpose to some extent.

The A1/peripherique route is best because it's simple. A bit of traffic congestion is neither here nor there. It's Saturday and you aren't in a desperate hurry surely?
Thats what I am leaning towards. Not in a great hurry no, though slight time pressure on having to get parked / checked in then head to the expo centre in south Paris for the registration etc..
 Driving to (and into) Paris - sherlock47
Paris is a doddle, you should have tried Istanbul 30 years ago........

Have things changed?
 Driving to (and into) Paris - Zero
In Instanbul? dont know never tried it, but would be willing to have a go.

Never going to say Paris is a complete easy peasy doddle, but its certainly not a no go area for the confident M25 / London, Naples, Milan type driver. I would only avoid it due to the time factor, but if you have to go in, then yes armed with sat nav its not a problem.
 Driving to (and into) Paris - Mike Hannon
Yeah, I have driven, as well as the Place de 'Etoile which I think is the worst of all. Hence the advice.
My pal says Tunis is among the worst he has seen - even before the trouble.
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Wed 23 Mar 11 at 14:17
Just got back. Decided on the A1 route onto the inner peripherique. Encountered no problems. Parked in place Maillot in Vinci park underground thingy, no probs if not a little pricey for 2 days!!
Latest Forum Posts