Motoring Discussion > Motorcycle - What can I ride? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fenlander Replies: 25

Motorcycle - What can I ride? - Fenlander
With thoughts of moving and changing the bias of our life I'd wondered about getting a small bike again. Passed my car test in the 70s and rode several 125cc & 250cc bikes but on L-plates as I never took a test. It seems now I could only ride a 50cc moped unless I took some degree of training... is that right?

If so it's damn odd. Mrs F passed her bike test in the 70s on a 125cc BSA Bantam and it seems she could buy a 150mph bike now!
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 24 Mar 11 at 13:03
 Motorcycle - What can I ride? - RichardW
Sounds about right - even if you have provisional bike on your car licence you still need CBT before you can ride on L-plates, and that only lasts 2 years. Mind you, given the difficulty in getting and passing a bike test these days (all off road now IIRC) that might be the most expedient option! The fact the Mrs F could ride a Fireblade or similar with next to no training / recent experience is part of the reason the rules were tightened up....
 Motorcycle - What can I ride? - Dwight Van Driver
Dowload item 9 on this list (INS57P)

www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/Doitonlinemotoring/DG_10031646

Page 14/15

dvd
Hmmmm... thanks guys... moped it is then.

raleigh-chopper-net.tripod.com/fantic%20chopper%201.JPG
 Motorcycle - What can I ride? - hawkeye
>> Hmmmm... thanks guys... moped it is then.
>>

Good luck with journeys on 2 wheels. I hated my Honda 50 commuting Brearton to Leeds in '70-'72. Took me 30 years to awaken interest in proper motorcycling. Yes I've done the pony tail thing as part of my mid-life crisis a few years ago. Makes putting the helmet on unnecessarily difficult among other things.
 Motorcycle - What can I ride? - DP
Assuming you have provisional motorcycle (A) entitlement on your license, you can ride anything up to 125cc, and 14.6 bhp, on L plates for 2 years after successfully completing Compulsory Basic Training (CBT). Completion of the CBT provides you with the form DL196, which essentially validates the provisional motorcycle entitlement on your driving license.

During this time, you are bound by the usual learner restrictions, i.e. no motorways or pillion passengers.

You have two years then to complete your Theory and 2 Practical test modules (in that order), after which your DL196 and your pass certificates from the above will be exchanged for motorcycle entitlement (category A) on your license. This lasts for the duration of your license.

If, after two years, you have not completed your theory and practical tests, your DL196 expires, and you have to re-take the CBT.

>>>given the difficulty in getting and passing a bike test these days

Did you mean that... seem to be a lot of training providers near us... it's just the cost... near on £800 for the full unlimited course! £100 for the initial CBT done in a day seems easy enough.
 Motorcycle - What can I ride? - R.P.
If you want to do it - buy a 125cc, you'll have to do the licence theory test as well, do the CBT and see how it goes - you should be able to buy sufficient lessons to get the instruction you need, your existing road sense will stand you in good stead and you probably won't need many (so don't go the £800 whole hog) save your cash for the otherwise inaccessible bigger bike (when you need on the road experience with an instructor) and practice like hell on the 125cc.
 Motorcycle - What can I ride? - Zero
500 quid (including bike hire, clothing, instruction and test) will get you a full bike license in three days.

Any experienced car driver who his comfortable on a push bike* should fly through it.

*try to cycle as slow as you can round some cones. If you can do that without falling off or looking silly you should be ok.
Ha I should be OK with the family genes... an elderly uncle was a champion at balancing on a static bike at village fetes in his past days... the scrutineers would be long gone before he gave up. He got to be a captain of industry too so skills are transferable.
 Motorcycle - What can I ride? - Robin O'Reliant
Don't forget to allow a couple of hundred for the tattoos and the fake pony tail, unless you can still grow your own?
Dont go for fake Tatts. They run in the rain.
My poor teen daughter was mortified last night when I explained my idea of buzzing about the large village area we hope to move to.... particularly when I warned her I was only qualified to ride a *ped* as she calls them. I did point out it should qualify me to hang out at the bust shelter with all the cool kids.

I thought I'd aim for this look..

farm4.static.flickr.com/3394/3443327596_e9a7672c6c.jpg

Not too over the top with L-plates?
That's you, Fenlander.

Buy an old Raleigh Chopper to ride round and get the feel of the gear before you pass the CBT. Perhaps meet your daughter at the school gates to show her mates how cool dad is. She'd love that.
>> *try to cycle as slow as you can round some cones. If you can do
>> that without falling off or looking silly you should be ok.

That is a very good point.

The low speed manoeuvres are the most challenging part of the learning process and test for most people, including me.

It helps when you are taught that a wet clutch as fitted to the majority of motorcycles can withstand a lot more abuse than a dry clutch, and that slipping the clutch in a way you wouldn't dream of doing on a car is perfectly acceptable when performing, say, a U-turn.
Slow U turns on two wheels are done with the eyes. Look across the road at where you want to end up and it's easy, look down or in front of the bike and it's an embarrassing low speed tumble..
Agreed, RR. Same applies to cornering. The bike goes where you are looking.

You can also balance throttle, rear brake and clutch to keep the bike upright at snail's pace. Front brake application at very low speeds, particularly with steering lock on is another good way to end up on the deck.

When I got back on the ZZR after a couple of year's away from riding, I went straight down to the local supermarket car park and spent about half an hour tootling round slowly and re-learning all this stuff. It really helps with other aspects of your riding if your low speed balance and control is sussed.
Last edited by: DP on Fri 25 Mar 11 at 10:51
Yeah, if you look down you loose your perspective of " horizon, whats level, and centre of balance. "
Look down and find you're riding this would also cause a loss of perspective.

www.apriliaforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113836&d=1249713592
Get one of these tho

motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/classic_bikes/yamaha-fizzy-gallery.php

And your streed cred would rocket.
>>> www.car4play.com/redirect.php?http://motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/classic_bikes/yamaha-fizzy-gallery.php

I was already into my first car when lads started to get these... I see there is a keen following now for them in restored condition.
 Motorcycle - What can I ride? - R.P.
Riding around the cones are the easy bit. Doing the stop and swerve required by Eurowallies is where people fall off and hurt themselves. Totally bonkers.
 Motorcycle - What can I ride? - FotheringtonTomas
>> the usual learner restrictions, i.e. no motorways or pillion passengers.

Can't a Provisional licence holder carry a pillion passenger who has the "full" licence?
 Motorcycle - What can I ride? - Fullchat
Not any more.
 Motorcycle - What can I ride? - Redfire
I passed my bike test 16 months ago and the emergency stop and swerve parts of the test are so easy that if you do fall off you are definitely not ready for the road and should fail as it is really easy. The most difficult part I found was riding slowly behind the examiner as he walked in front of me as a very slow pace on a freezing cold morning and being nervous didn't help either. I managed zero minors

Reaching the required speed on a 500cc is easy on a 125 would be more of a struggle

Mod2 was more involved as it was over about 50 minutes and the stickler examiner I had made me work hard for the full 50 minutes. I had 4 minors on this module and that was because I did not always apply the rear brake when about to pull of from the side of the road when on the flat so he kept finding all the hills to make sure I could do it. I was also penalised for doing my 2nd lifesaver check 1 second to late (in his opinion).

In a strange way I enjoyed the pressure of the test and was so pleased the radio link was one way because I was swearing quite a lot to myself.
 Motorcycle - What can I ride? - bathtub tom
>>so pleased the radio link was one way because I was swearing quite a lot to myself.

You believed that? ;>)
Latest Forum Posts