Motoring Discussion > Strange thing on the A1 today... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dieselfitter Replies: 12

Strange thing on the A1 today... - Dieselfitter
Driving south from Scotch Corner on the A1 today, noticed a dark car approaching fast in lane 2 with alternate headlights flashing. Assumed it to be an unmarked police car. However, as it got closer, there didn't appear to be any blue lights behind the grill - might have missed them, but I don't think so. As it passed me, I could see it was a dark blue Audi A6 - Y registration!! Naturally, other cars were diving into lane 1 to let it through. Hmmm.
 Strange thing on the A1 today... - Stuu
Diplomats car perhaps playin on their immunity?
 Strange thing on the A1 today... - Dave_
A lot of military up that way too. Or it could just have been fitted with one of these:

bit.ly/f0pOCE
 Strange thing on the A1 today... - Skoda
All sorts of folks have them but I can imagine it'd treated pretty severely if you had no right to use them.

Strangely popular mod in 4x4 circles. I'm not sure a defender could go fast enough to benefit from them!

They're on the special options list for quite a few BMW models too, come from the factory with a button next to the garage door opener. That and the optional, worlds most over engineered flag holder from the same list and youd be sorted :-)
 Strange thing on the A1 today... - Dieselfitter
I thought the most fishy thing was the age of the car - surely no official bodies run 10 year old cars, do they? This made me think that somebody might have fitted a wig-wag headlight flasher kit, probably sourced from the well-known on-line auction site, to a 10-year old Audi as a handy way of clearing lane 2 of the A1 for their exclusive use. If you don't use blue lights (this car wasn't), is it actually illegal?
 Strange thing on the A1 today... - Zero
>> I thought the most fishy thing was the age of the car - surely no
>> official bodies run 10 year old cars, do they?

Oh yes they do. Covert cars. The SAS use older fast cars.
 Strange thing on the A1 today... - TheManWithNoName
My brothers '68 Beetle had driving lights on the front bumper which were controlled independently by two separate dashboard mounted pull switches. Mind you it was impossible to flash them as such and drive safely at the same time.
 Strange thing on the A1 today... - Ted

We had MI5/6 cars on our breakdown database...although they weren't listed as such.

If one broke down, mostly in London of course, we had one specific recovery agent who attended to them. Unless it was just a jump start or similar, they were taken to an anonymous garage with an unmarked roller shutter.

They never came out.......not with the plates and tax disc they went in with anyway !
Our office paperwork was shredded after processing.

Ted
www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/13/made

Wow! It looks like i wouldn't contravene licencing and use regs if i wired up wig wag with my DRLs.

Not even tempted to try it though.
 Strange thing on the A1 today... - swiss tony
>> www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/13/made
>>
>> Wow! It looks like i wouldn't contravene licencing and use regs if i wired up
>> wig wag with my DRLs.

The way I read it you would break the law.... read it again!
You not reckon the beak would buy "(c) a warning beacon or special warning lamp" ?

Special warning lamps m'lud, warning the mimsers to get the heck out of my way :-D
 Strange thing on the A1 today... - ....
>> You not reckon the beak would buy "(c) a warning beacon or special warning lamp"
>> ?
>>
You could ask him to define flashing. What frequency defines flashing as opposed to flickering or on then off.
 Strange thing on the A1 today... - Zero
A judge should know about flashing.
Latest Forum Posts