Motoring Discussion > Bleedin' automatic renewals Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Fursty Ferret Replies: 5

Bleedin' automatic renewals - Fursty Ferret
Just got the renewal notice through from Admiral for my 120d M-Sport Coupe. £570 for a 10 month period, which was about what I paid last year (25, 3 years NCD).

Out of curiosity, put my details into the Meerkat and out popped Elephant at £440 for 12 months. Called them up, gave them the reference, and they matched the price on the spot.

So on one hand I'm relieved that for more or less the first time in my life insurance has become cheaper, but equally I'm a bit ticked off that they tried to take the proverbial at renewal. I suppose it's just the way these things have worked from the beginning.

Anyone else had an insurance price drop this year?
 Bleedin' automatic renewals - ....
>> So on one hand I'm relieved that for more or less the first time in
>> my life insurance has become cheaper, but equally I'm a bit ticked off that they
>> tried to take the proverbial at renewal. I suppose it's just the way these things
>> have worked from the beginning.
>>

Get used to it AF, this will happen every year now you have reached the magic 25. Customer loyalty means nothing these days, remember you are the customer and you have a choice.

>> Anyone else had an insurance price drop this year?
>>

Every year my renewal quote comes in and I go to my insurers website, tap in my details and renew that way. This year I saved my finger tip and called up asking why my premium had been raised over 15% when I had not had a claim and did not know of anyone in my area who had made a claim. Result, under £300 which I consider acceptable for Europe wide fully comp. on a group 36 car.
 Bleedin' automatic renewals - Robin O'Reliant
Phoned up yesterday to query my renewal from Tesco which worked out at £26 a month by DD, got it down to £21pm plus a £20 gift voucher.

Phoned Talk Talk today and finally got them to give me free broadband despite my exchange not yet being upgraded, saving £15pm.

Told the AA last month that I wouldn't renew because I could get the same cover from Green Flag (I think it was them) for £85 when they wanted £151 and they price matched on the spot.

It pays to haggle, but I don't think I will have any luck with the TV licence next month as there is only one service provider :-(
 Bleedin' automatic renewals - Bromptonaut
>> Anyone else had an insurance price drop this year?

Yep. Used to pay aroud £350 for Xantia but went up to £800 last year after adding 17yo daughter on L plates as a driver. Insurer (Elephant) quoted same for renewal when it came up in Jan but included a flyer for sister company Admiral's multi car policy. They quoted under £400 for Xant with daughter who's now passed test & pass plus as driver and same again to add her as driver of SWMBO's Berlingo.

So from June when 'lingo insurance renews any from me, SWMBO & daughter can drive either car at no greater cost than for two of us (both 50+) in 2008.
 Bleedin' automatic renewals - DP
Up to this point, confused.com has always yielded policies with the same, or better cover than my existing policy at renewal time, for less than I paid the year before. It's usually only a drop of £10 or so in recent years, but I have yet to pay more for the same cover as the year before.
My renewal is up in May, so we'll have to see if this year is the exception.
SWMBO renewed with Admiral this year. They reckon they can do us a good deal on a Multi-Car policy when mine comes up. We shall see.
Last edited by: DP on Sun 27 Mar 11 at 22:34
 Bleedin' automatic renewals - movilogo
This is called "inertia tax" :o)

Don't even think of loyalty in current climate. As per MSE forum, loyalty is for losers!
Latest Forum Posts