Motoring Discussion > Van drivers speeding. Confusion? on van limits Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 13

Van drivers speeding. Confusion? on van limits - henry k
A crackdown on speeding on the A3 in Surrey

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-12874610
 Van drivers speeding. Confusion? on van limits - swiss tony
Looks to be about time too! (Only my opinion on this story......)

www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/2090034_near_miss_for_motorists_as_lorry_smashes_petrol_station
 Van drivers speeding. Confusion? on van limits - Manatee
>> www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/2090034_near_miss_for_motorists_as_lorry_smashes_petrol_station

Why do lorries never collide with anything but always "plough" into it? Pride would make me search for a different word had I to write that story.
 Van drivers speeding. Confusion? on van limits - Manatee
"However, it seems some van drivers assume they can drive at the same speeds as cars."

They can, as long as enforcement is only by dumb cameras.

Having time in hand, and driving economically (at a true 70mph) to Northumberland last Friday, I could have lost count of the Sprinters flying past.
 Van drivers speeding. Confusion? on van limits - Pat
Having travelled from Cambridgeshire to Folkestone and back last weekend, and keeping to a true 73MPH, we both remarked at the number of cars that didn't seem affected by the high fuel prices.

We were constantly overtaken and flashed at, to hurry up and get out of the way, when overtaking.

Pat
 Van drivers speeding. Confusion? on van limits - Old Navy
Not exactly rocket science.

www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Roadsafetyadvice/DG_178867

Our traffic police, or Road policing, or whatever they are called this week have a purge on vans on a local NSL dual carriageway occasionally. I don't think they will win with the resources they have though.
 Van drivers speeding. Confusion? on van limits - Armel Coussine
What a bunch of clucking old twozzers you are.

There are exceptions of course, but white van man on average drives better than you do and in a brisk no-nonsense way. He is seldom menacing or dangerous apart from a tendency to tailgate at speeds over the motorway limit. When you are getting in the way of one of these kings of the road and he breathes down your neck, the answer is to let him pass and tuck in behind him. With luck he will scare those mimsers who had been in your way into the weeds and you and he can make some progress at last.

White Van Man rules, OK?
>> When you are getting in
>> the way of one of these kings of the road.
>>

Who have only passed a car test, and like you think they know it all. :-)
 Van drivers speeding. Confusion? on van limits - Bellboy
white van man as a rule is texting so how can he also be expected to keep to 50mph on a nsl road
its ridicularse
>> white van man as a rule is texting

How can he be texting at 90, however prehensile his legs, when he's smoking a doobie, tooting a line, feeling his girl up, mulling some wine, and cooking his bacon and eggs?
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 28 Mar 11 at 15:50
>> only passed a car test,

The mimsers who prat about in one's way have only passed a car test too ON. Isn't it amazing that van drivers drive so well with this despicable qualification, when car drivers so often fail to hack it? One of life's little mysteries perhaps.

I don't know it all any more ON. I used to, but that was when I was driving semi-illegally on a dodgy foreign licence :o}
 Van drivers speeding. Confusion? on van limits - FotheringtonTomas
As far as I know, I in my Scudo window van I can legitimately do 50MPH on ordinary roads, 60 on dual carriageways, and 70 on motorways.
In my link above It states that the definition is the gross weight of two tons. Under, car restrictions, over, van restrictions. (up to 7.5 tons)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 28 Mar 11 at 13:44
 Van drivers speeding. Confusion? on van limits - Bromptonaut
I think most of the Sprinter, Transit etc drivers are just chancing though I wonder if hire companies make the rules clear.

FT mentions his windowed Scudo; I suspect that advent of the van derived car may have sown some confusion. My starting point would be that where these were sold as cars (eg the Combinato) then the car rules apply but crew-bus type vehicles over two tonnes would be caught by the commercial limits. ISTR one of HJ's Telegraph questions some years ago about a Scudo or similar which was part glazed but not registered as a car.
Latest Forum Posts