Motoring Discussion > Lorry crash with car - video footage Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 59

Lorry crash with car - video footage - BobbyG
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK9-Ikcu0sY

An amazing bit of footage from a Roadhawk camera.
Very interesting seeing things from the cab perspective. The noise as it hits the car is akin to maybe hitting a pothole but it was enough to tip the artic over.
 Lorry crash with car - video footage - Hard Cheese

What was that car doing????

It was probably the driver swerving that ultimately caused it to topple.

I guess came up the slip road the wrong way?
 Lorry crash with car - video footage - R.P.
I'm well impressed with Roadhawk. I'm going to click to buy when we move
 Lorry crash with car - video footage - Skoda
>> I'm well impressed with Roadhawk. I'm going to click to buy when we move

Hang fire, there's a new one coming soon. I like mine, it was Injection Doc on here put me onto it. I think resolution could be better as could nighttime performance.

Been emailing the DCS guys who peddle it, nice folks, there's a new one with HD video and possibly better nighttime performance although he couldn't promise that right now because the HD sensors they're testing still require a reasonable amount of light to work best.

They're not much use for catching other peoples antics, but they're excellent for proving you did what you said and when you said it. Sound recording picks up your indicator noise and the accelerometers pick up your braking / accelerating.

Fairly complete package.
Thanks Skoda - I will wait. As you say Dogcam are very good I have a helmet mounted piece of kit.
 Lorry crash with car - video footage - Runfer D'Hills
A camera on your helmet?

Blimey!
 Lorry crash with car - video footage - bottomlesspit
Skoda,

Keeps us updated as one of these is on my shopping list after
Skoda, what is the graph-thing at the bottom of the display - you can see it alters a lot on impact but then you can see later on, whilst the lorry is obviously lying on its side stationery that the graph has similar fluctuations?

Curious thats all!
>> Keeps us updated

Will do, going to try and wangle early access to a pre-release one :-)

>> what is the graph-thing

It's the output of the accelerometers, they show what movement's occuring on each axis. I'd have expected it to flat line after the impact but the lorry seems to be shaking about in the video once it's on it's side, engine still running or something?

It curious watching the difference of those lines when it was fitted in the BM vs. the Skoda with stiffer suspension.
 Lorry crash with car - video footage - Armel Coussine
>> It was probably the driver swerving that ultimately caused it to topple.

I doubt if the driver had anything to do with it. The swerve would have been initiated by running over the car with the n/s front wheel, which also kicked the lorry's n/s into the air.

I would have liked to see what the car looked like afterwards. Front seat passenger if any would have felt lucky to survive.
 Lorry crash with car - video footage - sherlock47
www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/2191195

and the car driver survived!
Last edited by: pmh on Mon 28 Mar 11 at 16:05
Link didn't work for me.
 Lorry crash with car - video footage - Old Navy
OK for me, your link machine is broke.
 Lorry crash with car - video footage - Pat
Link doesn't work for me either, but I think it would if I subscribed:(

Pat
 Lorry crash with car - video footage - spamcan61
Weird, link works for me, no subscription.
 Lorry crash with car - video footage - Clk Sec
Working OK at this end.
 Lorry crash with car - video footage - bathtub tom
I wonder if they threw any oil down to soak up all that cement dust.

It's in Scotland and not raining! That could've really caused some problems.
 Lorry crash with car - video footage - Ted

I'd have been very annoyed if I'd been on my bike in place of that truck.....and very dead !

Ted
 Lorry crash with car - video footage - Dave_
The only car I've ever met coming the wrong way was the same model Corsa... a green one though. Doesn't half make you jump.
 Lorry crash with car - video footage - diddy1234
Maybe I have the wrong take on this but I have no sympathy for the idiot coming onto the slip road the wrong way.

however I am glad the people survived (maybe to try am remove themselves from the gene pool at a later date).

I do feel sorry for the Lorry drivers and the thousands of inconvenienced other drivers while the road was closed.
 Lorry crash with car - video footage - Runfer D'Hills
Maybe I have the wrong take on this too because I really couldn't be bothered to drive around filming other drivers just in case one of them does something stupid or illegal. I'd far rather rely on myself to keep out of their way and carry on minding my own business but hey ho, I suppose it takes all sorts... Just seems a bit adenoidal to me.

Happy to be in the minority. Carry on.
And there speaks a company car driver ..... :)

I remember a discussion on these, maybe in the other place, whereby it was argued (I think) that the cost was around £200 or something and that could be equivalent of your insurance excess you could save, not to mention your no claims, if you were able to prove your version of events.

Especially as more and more claims are allegedly being settled on a like for like basis.
They're useful besides insurance claims. Good for on track, the speed read out and g forces aren't as accurate as a full on race logger, but then i'm not as accurate as a full on competition driver either :-) Plus you get treble your moneys worth as you sit through the footage taking in the instruction, identifying your mistakes and plotting better approaches for next time.

I was conflicted as hell after i bought it about using it, i used it for a week or 2 then put it in the drawer and it stayed there for ages. I decided of my own accord to use it but then not long after someone in the family was involved in an accident, their fault or not i don't know but they say not. The other car had a passenger though. A passenger is treated as an independent witness apparently. 2 vs. 1 == fault claim.

I suppose you could just write it off if it ever did happen, crashes aren't that common, and you might not survive it if you're in one anyway. I've just achieved max no claims bonus with this renewal but it was one of the reasons it was fitted, didn't want anything getting in my way!

Means i can afford more sheds :-)
Invaluable on the bike, in view of myopic car drivers and odd beserkers on other bikes
 Lorry crash with car - video footage - VxFan
Having finally upgraded my old Nokia N70 for a smart phone (iPhone4) I wonder if the vid camera on that could be used to record journeys - or would it be interrupted if someone were to call the phone while being used as a camcorder?
Well, I sat on my fingers when this clip appeared on here yesterday and then after searching around I found a few news reports on the accident.

Having got up this morning and read the posts I can't sit on my fingers any longer.

Not one person has (apart from diddy) has expressed any concern for the lorry driver and any injuries he may have.

He swerved to avoid the car so violently it overturned him at 50MPH. That means he was sliding up that bank at 50MPH with everything in the cab falling all around him. He went down on the drivers side which is always the worst side to go, and many lorry drivers have been killed when this happens.
The trace on the graph kept moving because the engine would still be running, wheels would still be turning and the cab suspension would be shaking...as would the driver be thrown all over.

To further increase my anger on this not one of the news reports mentioned the car coming down the slip road the wrong way, just reporting a car and two lorries in a crash.

Is it any wonder we get a bad Press?

As an aside, when I first started driving lorries I was scared the first time it was windy. I asked an old lorry driver what speed to do in high winds.

How fast do you want to go on your side Pat, was the reply I got.
Wise words from a wise man.

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Tue 29 Mar 11 at 05:57
Re the graph, I too was wondering if that was maybe to do with the driver trying to get out the vehicle, or someone else climbing on to it to try and free him.

Do many lorries have these cameras installed Pat - with their relatively cheap price, and a bulk discount, I could see them being very worthwhile for some of the fleet operators?

As I said in my original note, it is definitely very interesting to see things from the cab perspective. There are many accidents you hear about that you think, surely that could have been avoided? If a vehicle was going the wrong direction then surely you would see it in advance and have time to react? This video proves that not to be the case.

It is also a reflex action to swerve - I am guessing for the lorry driver it would have been better to hit the car straight, that way the lorry stood better chance of staying upright? But the video shows that he swerved almost instantaneously - no chance that he was on the phone or not paying attention.

Although the same person has posted another clip on youtube claiming the driver was a hero and implying that he made specific decisions at the time - I think it all looked totally reflexive. And if the person posting is also the driver, as he seems to have been able to get lots of still photos at the scene, then thats a bit sickly!

Finally, according to the clip this happened on 22 March 2011, he uploaded it to youtube on 26 March. I would have thought the police would have taken the memory card away as evidence?
Lot's of questions Bobby!

Not many lorries have these fitted, but with the many insurance scams I can see them coming more worthwhile in the future. Many firms issue their drivers with a throw away camera to be kept in the cab and record any damage done in an accident.

Like you, I don't think the lorry driver was a hero at all, he acted totally instinctively and would not have had time to think of any other option.

I don't know what the position is regarding using recorded footage like this as evidence...perhaps some of our legal bods can answer this one?

Pat
 Lorry crash with car - video footage - Injection Doc
Well PDA, having dealt with the legal department of my insurance company the film can be used as evidence in court.
I had the unpleasant experince of a drunk yob running out of a Pub and attempting to run over the roof and bonnet of my wifes cars whilst i was driving. Having guessed what he was about to do I didnt slow down as he anticipated I would ,and he crashed straight into the side of the car , kicking the two doors hard ! unfortunatley for him his toe of his trainer caught in the drivers door handle and spun him round and slammed him on the ground fracturing his ankle !
It gets better, my wife shoute to me not to stop in case he had a knife so left him laying on the road. Called the police when I arrived home ! Part of it was caught on the town CCTV but only the part where the car was seen going down the street then someone laying in the street so duly got a visist whilst I was on the phone to the police ( they first thought hit and run ) reporting the incident. Anyway having had the in-car camera played it straight back to the police and it was word for word as I had expalined when they arrived at the front door. The guy was arrested and 2 days later when he had sobbered up, done for criminal damage !
bang to rights as they say. HE had tried to deny what he had done but it was all on video, even my wife shouting "dont stop incase he has a knife ! " The police were great and thought the guy was a numpty of the 1st degree, the video supported me 100% and I was exhonerated from any blame whatsoever
Thanks IJ, that's cleared that one up nicely and it certainly worked well for you.

It also shows that it's something you never know you need until an isolated incident happens, then proves invaluable.

Pat
Injection Doc, going back to your original posting on the subject, was that at night or during the day?

Just asking further to Skoda's note re not as good in failing light?
 Lorry crash with car - video footage - Fenlander
My layman's view. similar to others above, was that the lorry driver didn't have the reaction time to swerve to any degree and just moved to the right slightly. However as the car goes into the lorry the camera view appears to show the left side of the lorry lift, perhaps as the front wheel runs up the car a little. This caused the only real swerve which took the lorry onto the verge and its side.

Here are some pictures of the car afterwards... he was very lucky not to be badly hurt.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGYUBtwR8Fc&feature=related

On the camera issue I'm with Humph... can't see the point.

Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 29 Mar 11 at 09:46
>>On the camera issue I'm with Humph... can't see the point.

I think on the information on this thread so far, it is very easy to see what the point of them is.

Its whether you think that in your own circumstances you feel the need for this.

>>>I think on the information on this thread so far, it is very easy to see what the point of them is.

In the case of the lorry the camera footage is dramatic but didn't change the outcome of the accident or the likely way any blame would be apportioned.

With Injection Doc's situation the camera would have been no help to me. It is so so unlikely I would have left the scene of a car vs pedestrian accident and driven home *safe in the moral high ground of my camera footage*.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 29 Mar 11 at 10:06
" It is so so unlikely I would have left the scene of a car vs pedestrian accident and driven home *safe in the moral high ground of my camera footage*.

I didnt drive home " safe in the moral high ground " the fact was that we had been asked to collect someone late at night down a back street where approx 12+ youths all hanging around ! where the incident took place, I didnt fancy the risk of having my face rearranged had it of turned nasty !
You were not there and cannot judge the situation ! the guy was so stoned you can hear on the voice recorder him screaming at the top of his voice as he ran towards the car ! even though my windows were shut ! he was completely on another planet ! it took 24 hrs for him to sober up enough to be interviewed.
We also didnt know whether he was stoned on drugs ! may be if you watched the police camera action where the two swedish women were stoned on drugs they were mown down by cars and a 40 ton truck but still got up for a fight and took up to 6 police to restrain them ! A horrendous incident even for the police to witness and experince, but it goes to show how strong someone can be when stoned !

All I can say fenlander is wait till an incident happens to you and you cant defend yourself and there are no witnesses ! I was hit whilst staitionary couple of years back but no witnesses so the blame was apportioned 50/50 which apparently is very common now ! That why i got the camera's in the first place to defend my own corner.

May be that particular truck accident wasnt the best example but the one on the road hawk website is where the Merc sprints in front of the truck and slams the brakes on in a cash for crash scam ! without the camera it would of been a traffic accident, with the camera it was a prosecution for two car drivers for cash for crash ! made news headlines.

I just hope the lorry driver in the above fottage was OK and has recovered from his ordeal, physically and mentally ( often that bit gets forgotten )
>>>All I can say fenlander is wait till an incident happens to you and you cant defend yourself

Happy to take my chances... don't want video footage to control my life. Many folks have far worse incidents than you describe when on foot... should we all carry running buttonhole cams??
 Lorry crash with car - video footage - swiss tony
>> With Injection Doc's situation the camera would have been no help to me. It is
>> so so unlikely I would have left the scene of a car vs pedestrian accident
>> and driven home *safe in the moral high ground of my camera footage*.
>>
So, in the case the drunk or one of his mates had a knife, as Doc's wife feared, you would now not be posting on this, or any other web forum.
*safe in the moral high ground of my camera footage* would IMO be better than being lynched.
". Many folks have far worse incidents than you describe when on foot... should we all carry running buttonhole cams?? "
Quite agree that many folk experince far worst incidents, mine was very minor and cleared up within an hour ( thanks to the video footage ) It was just the fact that as the cam was fitted in the car it served a great purpose and proved its worth !

There was a poor guy is cheshire stabbed to death in front of his daughters after confronting some youngsters that had just vandalised his mirrors and headlamps ! May be CCTV outside his house would of been more prudent or would Fenlander just rather all these yobs get away with their pathetic actions continually ?
 Lorry crash with car - video footage - Snakey
Quite amazing footage as you don't expect the truck to tip over after clipping the corsa. Bet the truck driver was in shock as he/she had absolutely no chance of avoiding that accident.

>>>would Fenlander just rather all these yobs get away with their pathetic actions continually ?

Time for another... for goodness sake.

I am very proactive against anti-social behaviour as far as I feel it's appropriate but the point is cameras in cars do not stop these incidents.... they merely record them.

Sadly when these events happen the hardest part is to stop feeling a victim... until folks do the crims are still winning.
 Lorry crash with car - video footage - Focusless
>> Sadly when these events happen the hardest part is to stop feeling a victim... until
>> folks do the crims are still winning.

Would have thought the cameras help with that, by proving you are a victim and getting a result rather than feeling powerless.
Blimey !
" Sadly when these events happen the hardest part is to stop feeling a victim... "
so are you ex plod or something ! thats normally what they say , ie we were told once when burgled that you have to sympathise with these scroats as they have no home and lifes hard etc etc ! well im sorry but i dont sympathise with the scum of scociety nor will I just roll over and accept criminal behaviour ! its people like you that are anti CCTV that allow the criminals to spread their wings even further.
Hopefully one day when you have been burgled twice in your own home and for me also 7 times at my business in leafy Sussex you may have a different opinion on the scurge of society!
The interesting fact was that once CCTV was fitted at work no more problems but there probably was for someone somewhere else.
>>>Hopefully one day when you have been burgled twice in your own home

Bit harsh to wish that on me just because I don't want a camera in my car.

Anyway the tone of your posts rather confirms that the camera hasn't removed anger and fear associated with crime.

BTW why on earth would you assume I'd never experienced crime against my person, family or property?
 Lorry crash with car - video footage - TheManWithNoName
I fail to see why some people on here seem to think having a camera will rule their lives.
We are talking about a simple camera, not a mind control device.

And yes, Felnader you are right. It won't stop the incidents occurring but it helps mitigate the after effects especially if you are the innocent victim.
Last edited by: TheManWithNoName on Tue 29 Mar 11 at 13:13
back to usefull footage, in this clip this is a cash for cash !

roadhawk.co.uk/crash-for-cash-video.html

Had there not of been a camera fitted it may of just been another accident, had it not been for previous footage showing the Merc and Golf continually passing the truck then slowing right down and acting suspicailly ! they were prosectued, as it turned out there was some history behind these guys
So on this occassion it helped mitigate the after effects for the lorry driver
 Lorry crash with car - video footage - diddy1234
At the end of that video it shows a lorry exiting the roundabout then a white van coming across from left to right and gets hit by the lorry.

typical, I see some drivers in the left hand lane on a roundabout travelling all of the way around the roundabout (I.E. turning right).

Almost had a shunt myself because some 'left hand lane' idiot was turning right but staying in the left hand lane (the outside lane).

Are some people that confused as to what lane to use on a roundabout ?
I'm convinced there are a lot of drivers who iether dont understand a roundabout or fail to understand why they need lane disapline.
The more worrying point was raised on breakfast Tv the other morning when a reporter showed road traffic signs to numerous people and they didnt have a clue what they meant !
One woman thought the "except for access sign " meant motorcycles had priority over cars ! and the national speed limit sign was "no entry"
This has happened many times before but its nothing to be proud of as a country and I really do wonder how many accidents are caused by ignorance ? in fact the woman who drove her car up the slip road into the front of the lorry in the first video must of herself past a no entry sign !
 Lorry crash with car - video footage - Alanovich

>> Are some people that confused as to what lane to use on a roundabout ?
>>

If you read the "got brake tested today" thread, you'll see there is a grey area in the Highway Code. Which doesn't help.
>> Are some people that confused as to what lane to use on a roundabout ?

Some? :-P I'm half tempted to put my own signs up at this one goo.gl/X5LvF i come from the west turning right each night. Jeezo :-)

Thankfully it's pretty big and loads of space so not normally more than an inconvenience, but at busy times it's a pain to find yourself shut out of the lane you want to be in for the road after the roundabout (it backs up with a queue).
People are utter rubbish at roundabouts, and also when turning right at junctions. One would think people who wanted to obstruct all other traffic when performing simple manoeuvres were self-important and pushy. But most of them aren't. They're just crap because they're stupid and gutless.
Skoda, I quite often come to Newhouse from the East, I want to turn left at that roundabout and then turn right at the next one.
The left hand lane is quite often queued back to the roundabout so I am turning left, but going into the right hand lane once off the roundabout.

Can sometimes be scary at times!
 Lorry crash with car - video footage - Zero
>> Having finally upgraded my old Nokia N70 for a smart phone (iPhone4) I wonder if
>> the vid camera on that could be used to record journeys - or would it
>> be interrupted if someone were to call the phone while being used as a camcorder?
>>
>>
When I get back to the uk I will post you some in car video from the iPhone 4 I have DD
The problem is there is no removable storage
 Lorry crash with car - video footage - VxFan
>> The problem is there is no removable storage

Can't it be extracted in the same way photos can then?
Yes it can, and the quality is superb but the is no way to make it loop or overwrite a defined storage size and it shares the same storage as the rest of the phone

Lorry crash with car - video footage - swiss tony
>> Yes it can, and the quality is superb but the is no way to make
>> it loop or overwrite a defined storage size and it shares the same storage as
>> the rest of the phone
>>
Great design by Apple there then...
If you mean they didn't design it as an in car incident camera then yes
tinyurl.com/48djqmx

Daily Mail link to the OP.

Certainly can't fault their reporting of this accident and it's far more accurate than a lot I've read.

Pat
>> Certainly can't fault their reporting of this accident

>> Nowhere to go: The Vauxhall Astro ... (it's a Corsa!)

:-P :-)
Last edited by: Skoda on Thu 31 Mar 11 at 10:06
There's always one............:)

Pat
Latest Forum Posts