Motoring Discussion > My car is running on air ! ! ! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: IJWS14 Replies: 28

My car is running on air ! ! ! - IJWS14
Filled the car up Wednesday evening, computer says 805 miles to empty.

Drive home, to work and back home, trip says 80 miles run, computer says 810 miles to empty. After driving 80 miles I have more diesel than I did when I started!

In reality I know it is the way the trip computer works but even now with 200 miles run on the tank it is still saying 690 miles to empty - in a 1.9td Octavia - who needs bluemotion!

Reminds me - I must pump the tyres up at the weekend, Skoda did the MOT Monday and they will be back to standard pressures.
 My car is running on air ! ! ! - Alanovich
Can you seriously achieve 800 miles out of a single tank?

How on earth do you manage it if so?

I've never been able to eek more than 500 miles out of a tank in any car.
>> Can you seriously achieve 800 miles out of a single tank?
>>
>> How on earth do you manage it if so?
>>
>> I've never been able to eek more than 500 miles out of a tank in
>> any car.
>>

Used to get to around 600 before the warning light came on but have slowed down a little with the fuel price going up, on the milage I do I had to. It has not made much difference to the journey times (the queues are shorter when I join them), last tank the warning came on at 680, meaning it would have got me to around 750 miles when the car thought it was empty - never pushed it that far.
Also avoiding steep hills and known jams and try to time arrival at junctions to avoid stopping or braking, stop/start is a kller.

All on supermarket diesel!

Don't really belive it will get to 800 . . . . would need a long gentle motorway run at lorry limiter speed to find out. Unfortunately a very long run.
Last edited by: IJWS14 on Fri 1 Apr 11 at 15:46
 My car is running on air ! ! ! - Alanovich
Blimey. I know AC (wrongly) thinks I'm a mimser, but I must be Larry Leadfoot compared to you. I don't get more than 400 miles out of a tank in our 2002 Golf 1.9TDi 100 - pretty similar to your car. Mind you, it is an auto and that is mostly in town.
 My car is running on air ! ! ! - Fenlander
On longer runs my C5 HDi would do 800+mls before it hit fresh air from fully brimmed.
 My car is running on air ! ! ! - mikeyb
>> On longer runs my C5 HDi would do 800+mls before it hit fresh air from
>> fully brimmed.
>>

Usually hit 700 before the light comes on then another 50 or so from there

Sharan is usually around 550 when the light come on, but slightly smaller tank than C5
 My car is running on air ! ! ! - Focusless
Because what few miles I do in the (2.0 petrol mk1) Focus are mostly short journeys around town, when it does get a long run on the motorway the 'distance to empty' reading keeps going up for at least the first 100 miles.

However to get it to show 800 would need a very long downhill run with a strong wind behind and a big sail on the roof :)
 My car is running on air ! ! ! - Zero
I got 710 miles form a tank of diesel in the Laguna once.
>> I got 710 miles form a tank of diesel in the Laguna once.
>>

Diesel? If so fair comparison to the C5
 My car is running on air ! ! ! - DP
In most cases, our PD engined mk4 Golf will do somewhere around 570-580 miles to the fuel light in mixed driving conditions, nobbled as it is by a piffling 55 litre tank. Thrashing it, or having a few days of bad traffic knocks it down towards 500. Driving gently, but still keeping up with traffic pushes it into the low 600s.

My record, driving unrealistically slowly, including a 400 mile round trip in light traffic conditions, was 714 miles!

A work colleague once achieved 925 miles between fills in his old Peugeot 406 HDi (early model) on a gentle (overnight, traffic free) run to visit family in France.
 My car is running on air ! ! ! - RattleandSmoke
Didn't Topgear do this with a few different cars?
theyve done a couple.

Clarkson did it in an A8 from london to somewhere in scotland and back then the did 3 cars to turn on the blackpool illuminations. Think Clarkson had a jag, can recall what the other had
 My car is running on air ! ! ! - Auntie Lockbrakes
- Clarkson had a Jag, the other 2 had a Polo Bluemotion and a then-newly-launched Subaru diesel.

I got 505 miles out of the X3's tank recently - lots of open roads and never above 65mph was the key. And avoid hills if you can!
 My car is running on air ! ! ! - rtj70
I could get a lot more out of the Mazda6 if the light didn't come on so early and the range say 0. And then find you can only get about 55 litres in. It has a 64.5 litre tank.

Looking forward to see how far I might get in a Passat later this year with a 70 litre tank and what appears to be a more efficient engine. And stop-start which I could turn off but surprised how good it worked on the demo car.
 My car is running on air ! ! ! - Old Navy
The price of fuel is not a licence to mimse, if you can't afford to run it properly get a bus or walk!
>> The price of fuel is not a licence to mimse, if you can't afford to
>> run it properly get a bus or walk!
>>

I generally run at or just above the speed limit (true not speedo) except o NSL dual carriageways. If people travelling within the limits upsets you its your problem, not mine.

Some people's priorities amaze me . . . . The difference between pushing the car hard and driving gently is around 25-30% saving, and less risk to me. The saving on 30k miles a year is significant and will just about pay for a weeks holiday for the two of us.

My car is running on air ! ! ! - Dave_
>> Clarkson had a Jag, the other 2 had a Polo Bluemotion and a then-newly-launched Subaru diesel

And they all made it to Blackpool with fuel to spare, although James in the Subaru went via Leeds and missed the lights switch-on ceremony. I was there, and the crowd had no idea there was a "challenge" being filmed.
 My car is running on air ! ! ! - L'escargot
>> Reminds me - I must pump the tyres up at the weekend, Skoda did the
>> MOT Monday and they will be back to standard pressures.
>>

When I have my car serviced/MOTd I always specify that I want the tyre pressures (including the spare) to be left as they are. I inflate the spare to the maximum of 55 psi to allow for natural leakage and I don't want it reduced to the running pressure of 32 psi.
I get 870 miles per tankful from my 2 litre petrol Focus.
 My car is running on air ! ! ! - nyx2k
my light came on last night to tell me i only had 50 miles left but i needed to do 70 miles and had no money with me so slowed down and got home with the available fuel showing zero for the last 25 miles. i filled up this morning with 45 litres and the tank holds 55 litres so not very accurate then.
 My car is running on air ! ! ! - zippy
316d got 785 miles for £79.99. (second stop on pump). M25 for four days this week at rush hour twice a day then some dual and single carriageway and town driving. One Mark was left on the gauge but the warning bong kept going off and annoying me so I refuelled.
 My car is running on air ! ! ! - DP
>> I get 870 miles per tankful from my 2 litre petrol Focus.
>>

Impressive. My old TD wouldn't manage much more than half that!
 My car is running on air ! ! ! - Old Navy
According to KIA my car can do 810 miles to a 55Litre tank.

Aye right.
>> >> I get 870 miles per tankful from my 2 litre petrol Focus.
>> >>
>>
>> Impressive.

I did what most drivers do, which is fib about it!
 My car is running on air ! ! ! - ....
The OP's point about over optimistic computer readouts makes me happy I drive a Volvo. Always errs on the side of caution.

Computer tells me I have usually between 700 and 750 after a fill up. I can drive from Heerlen to Edinburgh (~700 miles) and still have quarter of a tank left which gets me back to Hull, onto the ferry and back to reasonable price diesel land.
It may not be over optimistic, the sum of the two numbers still reads over 800, has been as high as 850!

It seems to fall more rapidly as the tank gets nearer to empty.
Filled it up this morning, warning light came on lat night, 699.5 miles run, 100 miles in tank (Must come on based on needle position trather than miles to go), MiL not well so may need to travel at short notice so not going to try for 800. Driving out the readout said 820 miles to go.

51.15 litres for 716 miles so 63.7mpg, £2.55 off at Sainsbury's with a voucher and now have a £3.50 voucher off her next shop so effectively £1.24 a litre instead of £1.36!
 My car is running on air ! ! ! - madf
Over past 4 years Yaris has averaged almost exactly 57mpg- every year.. mainly short town journeys.
For two months this year, I have been driving 50 miles a day across country and average nearly 70 mpg - driven carefully.
Amazing what different driving conditions, warmth and a careful right foot will do.
 My car is running on air ! ! ! - diddy1234
I would certainty agree that temperature has a lot to factor into fuel economy.

Last winter we had one day of -11c and I drove the Astra 2.0l Diesel.
The journey normally uses just the thickness of the fuel gauge needle.

On this day it used nearly a quarter of a tank of fuel !

I couldn't even have the heating on inside the car as the engine temperature dropped too much !
Latest Forum Posts