Motoring Discussion > tesco Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Bellboy Replies: 92

tesco - Bellboy
message ends................
 tesco - RattleandSmoke
Had a few Tesco value beers tonight then?
 tesco - Zero
>> message ends................

Never even got through here, let alone end.
 tesco - lancara
Taking a guess:

"Tesco launches website selling second-hand cars" DT
 tesco - movilogo
Can I return the car within 14 days?
 tesco - Dog
www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/8423905/Tesco-launches-website-selling-second-hand-cars.html
 tesco - Lygonos
Ex-hire and driving school cars - maybe they should have the "TESCO Value" brand on them.
 tesco - Iffy
Tesco is very, very, good at what it does - retailing goods.

The motor trade had better sharpen up it act - the professionals have arrived.

tesco - SteelSpark
>> Tesco is very, very, good at what it does - retailing goods.
>>
>> The motor trade had better sharpen up it act - the professionals have arrived.

Among the benefits that Tesco is that they are a trusted brand. Your granny will happily deal with Tesco and not fear getting ripped off.
 tesco - Manatee
Steel Spark is right. Half the job is done if you start with that, particularly in a market where the public instinctively mistrust other sellers.

They'll need to keep it though. And it won't be easy. If they mess up, it could work the other way and damage their reputation elsewhere.

Better, quicker, cheaper are their watchwords. And they are, as has been said, very good at it.
 tesco - Zero

>> Among the benefits that Tesco is that they are a trusted brand. Your granny will
>> happily deal with Tesco and not fear getting ripped off.

Don't trust them as far as I can throw them, their ethics stink as do their business practices (and so do their cafes!) If Tesco get involved you will be screwed eventually.
 tesco - Manatee
I don't disagree with Z either.

Tesco now has 13% of all UK retail sales. That market position alone means they are very difficult to compete with.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 3 Apr 11 at 10:24
 tesco - Stuartli
>>..(and so do their cafes!)>>

My local Tesco Extra's cafe earns the maximum five out of five on the local council's ScoresOnTheDoors website for overall hygiene and preparation. I've always found it first class.

tesco - henry k
>>Among the benefits that Tesco is that they are a trusted brand.
>> Your granny will happily deal with Tesco and not fear getting ripped off.
>>
Well granny beware. Last month I bought a TV. The same TV in Tesco is so much more expensive than other suppliers. I paid £550 from John Lewis with 5 year guarantee and free delivery. Tesco have recently reduced it from £800 to £700.
When I sent them an email suggesting their prices were way too high they said they do not price match. I was not asking for a price match but hey ho granny must be still buying :-(
 tesco - Clk Sec
>>Your granny will happily deal with Tesco and not fear getting ripped off.

Similarly, the Co-op is another popular choice.
 tesco - Skoda
Tesco have pretty sharp practices with their suppliers, i used to work for a company that supplied them. The product cost something like 41pence / piece to make, tesco paid 43pence and they weren't *that* high volume. Ok that's partly the company's fault for agreeing, but there's other things too, their forecasting was crap which led to 40 odd pallets of goods that couldn't be sold leading to expensive reworking to relabel / rebox / pack ready for international sale. 2pence / unit became -2p / unit.

Their lorries don't advise what time they're coming at, but there's a penalty if they don't leave fully loaded within X mins, so you loose a bay on the warehouse (or 2 bays if it's a promotion run time) and all the floor space with tesco stuff picked out the racks ready to go. Then the tesco driver walks past the queue of other drivers at the warehouse office and he's offski's. Meanwhile everyone else is left waiting longer than they should.

All partly that company's fault right enough but you can see how they get in such a situation, when their biggest customer says jump...
 tesco - mikeyb
>> >>Your granny will happily deal with Tesco and not fear getting ripped off.
>>
>> Similarly, the Co-op is another popular choice.
>>

We have two supermarkets in our town - a Waitrose and a co-op.

I have friends and neighbours who refuse to go into Waitrose because its "so expensive" , but IMO its priced around the same as Waitrose with better store / service / quality. Lot to be said for peoples perception.

Also interesting that they are building a Sainsburys here - Waitrose have said nothing on the subject, no objections etc, however the co-op have thrown their toys out of the pram and said that they would never have invested money in the store (it had a mild facelift a few years back) had they known there would be increased competition.

I think many trust the Tesco brand and they will do well if they deliver what their site promises, and the no quible 7 day return will be a big bonus to most.

Perhaps this is the kick up the backside the used car trade needs
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 3 Apr 11 at 18:02
 tesco - Stuartli
>>Similarly, the Co-op is another popular choice.>>

You haven't been in lately then. One of the most expensive outlets around at the moment....
 tesco - Clk Sec
>>Similarly, the Co-op is another popular choice.>>
>> You haven't been in lately then. One of the most expensive outlets around at the
>> moment....

I didn't make my point very well, Stuartli. I should have said that the long established Co-op is a popular choice amongst many older people.

And you are absolutely right, they are not cheap.
 tesco - Manatee
>> I didn't make my point very well, Stuartli. I should have said that the long
>> established Co-op is a popular choice amongst many older people.
>>
>> And you are absolutely right, they are not cheap.
>>
>>

Most Co-ops are convenience stores, not to be compared with full scale supermarkets. Tesco's convenience stores are more expensive than their supermarkets too. I'm not making any assertion about the comparative supermarket pricing as I'm nowhere near a big Coop here.

I like the Coop. I believe the quality is generally good.

They used to have some car dealerships - at least Bradford Coop did.
 tesco - RattleandSmoke
My local suburb has three co-ops, two Tesco express and one Morrison's. The Tescos are a lot cheaper than the co-op stores which are only good for the special offer. Even my local off licence is a lot cheaper than the co-op.
 tesco - Clk Sec
>>special offer.

They occasionally have some very good offers on well known malt whiskies. I'm waiting for the next one.

tesco - rtj70
>> They used to have some car dealerships - at least Bradford Coop did.

But there was until recently two Co-op food chains I think. And they were not related as such. Is everything Co-op now one company behind it?
 tesco - RattleandSmoke
The car dealers where owned by the co-op (the Manchester one) I believe. I think it was called Sunwins or something like that.

tesco - rtj70
The Sunwins store in Stockport is no more too. Closed at the end of 2010 and will open in the summer as a Primark.
 tesco - Zero
At least your wardrobe will improve!
 tesco - RattleandSmoke
I wondered what they were doing with that site. Was always a bit of a crap shop I don't think I ever bought anything from that place. It changed its name to Chestergate towards the end didn't it?
 tesco - rtj70
I think it did Rattle. But it was still owned by the Coop.
 tesco - Manatee
Sunwin House was latterly a style of the Yorkshire Cooperative Society, probably formed itself from smaller societies - Coops have endlessly combined, there used to be hundreds of independent societies including the local one that I can still remember my mother's divi number for.

I don't know how many independent societies now remain, if any - I started losing track years ago. They all seem to have been absorbed by, or become corporate members (co owners) of the Cooperative Group (I think they all huddled together when somebody had the brainwave of taking them all over a few years ago).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Co-operative_Group
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 3 Apr 11 at 18:12
 tesco - idle_chatterer
There are a number of Co-operative societies which are largely unrelated although many have merged into one big society - the one which bought Somerfield (making them something like the 4th biggest retailer IIRC).

The Co-op is mutual, like a building society and so has more in common with Waitrose than you might otherwise suspect (which is owned by its employees). The net of this is that Co-op is possibly a lot more ethical in its sourcing policy than other share-holder owned retailers. It's a big UK landowner too so sources much from UK farmers I think.

Tesco, Asda-Wal*Mart and their like source aggressively to maximise profits and trade on low-cost, there is a benefit to the consumer in lower prices but then there may be other consequences e.g. lost UK jobs, more 'food miles', intensive farming methods etc.

You pay your money and take your choice, but the next time you complain that all the jobs have gone to China/India etc (assuming you do complain of course), you should perhaps ask how that happened and how you benefited in the short term ?

I don't work in retail btw.....
 tesco - CGNorwich
"(which is owned by its employees)"

Waitrose is part of the John Lewis Parnership. Employees of JLP do not own the company but they do all receive a share of the profits. All employees receive the same percentage of their salary as a bonus each year. This year it was 18%. JLP has a unique constitution enshrined in an Act of Parliament.
 tesco - Zero
they are all "partners"
 tesco - CGNorwich
they are all "partners"

Yes that what they are called but they don't own the business like a partner in a legal partnership does
 tesco - Stuartli
>>Most Co-ops are convenience stores, not to be compared with full scale supermarkets>>

One of the co-ops where I live is a (large) convenience store, the other is of supermarket standard and the one I occasionally use as it's near someone I visit quite regularly. No matter, I rarely buy much there other than an odd loaf.

But it does have an award winning fish and chip shop right next door...:-)
 tesco - Stuartli
>> The motor trade had better sharpen up it act - the professionals have arrived.>>

I seem to recall Asda doing a similar thing with new cars many years ago, but eventually had to pack it in.

PS

Just found this reference:

tinyurl.com/3rswhwn

About 14 or 15 years ago it seems but gave up after a year.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sun 3 Apr 11 at 12:34
 tesco - mikeyb
>> Can I return the car within 14 days?
>>

7 Day return for a refund (not exchange) if you are not happy - any other used retailers offering that at the moment?
 tesco - mikeyb
I wonder if there may be some bargains to be had as they try to buy market share

Tescos are offering this:

www.tescocars.com/cars/ford/galaxy/573739/ford-galaxy-diesel-estate-18-tdci-lx-5dr-6/

From a quick look on autotrader it looks to be the cheapest comparable by about 300 quid
 tesco - Stuartli
I've just checked the Tesco cars website for something to compare with my VW Jetta Sports 170. The only example listed is the same year, twice the mileage, lowest Jetta model and trim level and yet is several hundred pounds more that I paid at a main VW dealership, which included a year's warranty and breakdown cover.

Then you've got to add on a £99 "handling" charge and, if necessary, delivery fee.
 tesco - RattleandSmoke
The price of some of the superminis seem high, they seem to be forgetting you can often get big discounts when buying brand new. My local VX dealee are selling brand new Corsas for less than £7k.
 tesco - Bellboy
fiat not listed
now seeing as panda and punto are good cars whar does that say about tesco
 tesco - Stuartli
>> now seeing as panda and punto are good cars whar does that say about tesco>>

Might not have a Fiat leasing outlet supplier...:-)
 tesco - Bellboy
arthur daley donkey jackets now on sale in tescos
 tesco - movilogo
Why Tesco is selling used cars instead of new cars?

Selling new cars is risk free, any problem you sent it back to manufacturer.

But with used cars, Tesco can be flooded with customers with problem cars will for refund (i.e. fix under sale of goods act)

tesco - movilogo
Looks like in Tesco cars, you can't test drive!
www.tescocars.com/

Last edited by: movilogo on Mon 4 Apr 11 at 16:39
 tesco - CGNorwich
'Unfortunately we cannot offer test drives before purchase. However, every car is taken on a thorough road test by the RAC. A video of this test drive will be provided to you as part of your RAC report.'

Actually I think I would be happy with that. Not sure that I have the expertise to discover anything on a test drive although I guess a lot of people would find it an issue.
 tesco - mikeyb
Can return for a refund in 7 days anyway.

Guess the no test drives is to keep overheads low
 tesco - CGNorwich
Seems a reasonable deal. Might not like Tesco a lot but think they might be more straightforward to deal with that a lot of dealers. I suspect they will be a huge success
 tesco - Bellboy
so to summarise
the cars are all ex motobility
theres a one month warranty
no dealing on price
7 days to return and you can take car there
a description by andrew on youtube type downloads
delivered to your door sign here guv can you give me a lift into town
oh and you get club points

they cant lose (roll eyes)
 tesco - Stuartli
>>the cars are all ex motobility >>

Yes, usually good. But it might end up as a lot of hassle if you have to reject the car despite all the descriptions, RAC feedback (are all of them by one person, Andrew?) and a modest one month warranty (Motability cars deserve more than that judging by my experience when checking out used cars for family and friends).

Add no test drives to that scenario, what appear to be above average prices from a dealership and it begins to look like something best avoided if at all possible.

But I'm sure that Tesco has thoroughly researched the project...:-)
 tesco - Iffy
...and a modest one month warranty...

Not long for a newish car costing thousands, and I see quite a lot of the vehicles are 2008, so will just be coming out of factory/dealer warranty.

It says on the site you can extend the one month RAC Platinum warranty for £299, which might be wise.

Add that to the £99 'handling fee' and £149 delivery charge, and the price you pay will be £550 more than the sticker price.

tesco - Perky Penguin
What extension of the warranty does one get for £299? Is it a flat fee? Might be good value for a top end car with loads of complicated extras, expensive for a small hatchback. I think Warranty Direct might be better value as, SFAIK, they tailor rheir quotes to the make and model of the car being covered.
 tesco - CGNorwich
where is the statement that all the cars are ex motability coming from?
 tesco - Focusless
>> where is the statement that all the cars are ex motability coming from?

Dunno - but the website says:

"Cars are offered to you directly from the original owners who are banks, lease and fleet companies."

www.tescocars.com/why-tesco-cars/
 tesco - Zero
These will invariably be RBoS owned leasing companies then. It makes sense as a business model, buy the new cars cheap, lease them for three years, then maximise return on sale by selling at retail+ prices. Will kill the auction houses.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 5 Apr 11 at 09:20
 tesco - Iffy
...These will invariably be RBoS owned leasing companies then...

"Invariably" owned by RBS might be putting it a bit strongly because Hitachi Capital is mentioned on the site's home page:

"Cars are supplied by major Fleet suppliers such as Hitachi Capital and subject to a £99 Handling Fee"

www.tescocars.com/
 tesco - Zero
It was an assumption based on the fact that RBoS is Tesco's banking and insurance partner, and RBoS runs several large leasing companies.

Edit - Yes I know Tesco now has bank registration and is moving away from RBoS.

Last edited by: Zero on Tue 5 Apr 11 at 09:34
 tesco - Iffy
...It was an assumption...

As editors are fond of saying to reporters who have messed up: "Don't assume anything.

"You will make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'."

tesco - Fenlander
>>>"You will make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'."

Any company that still delivers that phrase in training is one I don't want to work for!
 tesco - bathtub tom
>>However, every car is taken on a thorough road test by the RAC. A video of this test drive will be provided to you as part of your RAC report.'

On each individual car, or a 'typical' test drive?

tesco - CGNorwich
well it says "a video of this drive" so i guess it is the test on the specific car
 tesco - Lygonos
Anyone who believes a company who puts their name to crap like this:-

www.tesco.com/Momentum99/files/Tesco-Momentum-99-Fuel-Report.pdf

Deserves everything they get when buying a car from them.

25% fuel economy improvement from a 1.6 Focus.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOOOOLLLLOOLLOL

etc.

Look at the MAHOOSIVE flaws in methodology - start from a single vehicle per class, then go through the use of 3 tanks of 95 followed by 3 of 99 (increased 'running-in' period - if you think 1500 miles is enough to fully run in an engine...), not to mention there's probably several weeks difference between the start and end of the tests - who knows what weather/traffic conditions were different from start to finish.

Show this study to a first year Uni stats class and they'd tear it a new one.

<3 TESCO.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Tue 5 Apr 11 at 00:40
 tesco - Perky Penguin
As a regular consumer of Magners cider, must get my 5 a Day, I follow the price closely. Tesco moves the prices up and down within a VERY wide range. At Christmas a box of 12 x 440 ml cans came at 3 for £20; they are now on sale at £12.08 each which is near enough double. I used mysupermarket.com to check prices and I have found some baranded alcohol cheaper here than in Calais where Sainsburys and Tesco have closed their outlets BTW!
 tesco - CGNorwich
Exactly what relationship has a report on Tesco fuel efficiency to do with the effectiveness of Tesco's car business? I think your first year Uni stats class could point out the flaw in your argument.
 tesco - Fenlander
In the recent thread about Autoquake going into administration I said...

***Who wants to pay £100 deposit before they will let you see a car... and at the time of that first deposit taking enquiry get hassled to buy a warranty, finance, gap insurance etc.... when you added their £150 admin fee, warranty purchase and possibly £150 delivery charge the prices started to look expensive compared with a main dealer***

Same applies to this Tesco effort which is no more than their branding on the existing Carsite operation.

A Tesco example from today...

2010 Citroen C3 1.1i 5dr 12,000mls - £7034 plus £99 handling, £149 delivery & £249 warranty (with several exclusions) so actually £7531.

Citroen approved used car network...

2010 Citroen C3 1.1i 5dr 4,400mls - £7290 with 12mths quibble free Citroen warranty.

So why would you go to Tesco??

As said by others this could dent the Tesco reputation a little.

Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 5 Apr 11 at 09:31
 tesco - mikeyb
When I became aware that Tescos were planning this a few weeks back I really hoped that they would shake up the used car market, but having had a little more time to look at their offering I think it looks no better than average. The one month warranty is tight to say the least. It appears to be the supermarket philosophy, but not with the reduction in price you would expect
 tesco - commerdriver
Can they make the 1 month warranty stick?
If I had paid, say, 7 or 8k for a 3 year old car which shed a gearbox 2 months later I can't see how they cold get away with not fixing that. Might have to go to court but I would guess they would end up paying.
 tesco - mikeyb
SOGA would give you some further coverage I guess?
 tesco - Mark
Tesco are well known for trying to dodge just about everything, Tax, VAT, Corporate responsibility and so the press and internet is full of it so I make this claim without fear of recourse.

Extensive Googling paints an even blacker picture where Tesco have acted against customers who have complained about the service they have received from Tesco in public forums by closing clubcard accounts belonging to those customers again several stories on Google if you look.

Just put Tesco, Dodging and any of the 3 words I have mentioned into a search engine and see what comes back;

Why then do you think if Tesco see the matters I mention as items they can overlook then they will not perhaps try to dodge other responsibilities relating to warranties that may accrue through what is looking like a "bucket shop" car sales operation?

As always

Mark
Last edited by: Mark on Tue 5 Apr 11 at 20:21
 Tesco - Perky Penguin
I do think that Tesco wield a bit too much power in the market but what they are doing re taxation is that they are legally avoiding it, as opposed to illegally evading it. I'd rather have the VAT in my pocket than given to Governent to squander on Consultants, Focus Groups and Duck Houses! I need the money more than they do!
 Tesco - Mark
PP

I can only agree about how all governments and public bodies (including their servants) squander, waste, lie and cheat; however in theory they can be removed via the ballot box.

Although these days all policticans would seem by all measures to fail to meet the standards or prove to be capable of even working the nightshift at McDonalds.

However that is different from a retailer that sets its self up as the consumers friend and then goes back on its word. or is it....

I think I need to go and lie down the thought that corporations, governments and public servants might lie and cheat, steal deceive et all has made me feel a little unwell....

As always

Mark

Last edited by: Mark on Tue 5 Apr 11 at 20:55
 Tesco - Perky Penguin
What "word" is it that Tesco have gone back on? If they said they'd stop shipping fron Jersey they probably have but they have moved their operation to Switzerland, I think. In these difficult times I'd rather keep as much of my money under my control than give it to Government to spend on futile wars, for one thing that tops a list of 100+ ill-advised projects. The VAT they aren't getting from DVD and other sales isn't going to save the country!
 Tesco - Lygonos
>>The VAT they aren't getting from DVD and other sales isn't going to save the country!

No, but it makes it damn near impossible for smaller UK companies to compete as they're automatically 20% down from being unable to avoid VAT without having a non-UK operation.

If you are selling a 10 quid DVD with a gross profit margin of 2 quid you can't compete, as TESCO can sell it for 8 quid anyway.

Monopoly in its most cynical form.
 Tesco - Perky Penguin
Lygonos - I see your point of view. I live on a fixed income in 5% inflation. There is no way I am going to go anywhere to buy anything that I can get at a good price and order on line with free delivery. BTW - I only use Tesco for my household shopping, for one, and only when they are the nearest shop! Tesco are not alone in avoiding VAT but they are probably the biggest!
 Tesco - Clk Sec
>> I live on a fixed income in 5% inflation.

You were born too early, PP. Looks like you'll be on the wrong tier of Iain D-S's £155 per week state pension come 2015, or thereabouts.

Oh dear; so will I!
 Tesco - captain chaos
>> >> I live on a fixed income in 5% inflation.
>>
I would have thought Perky Penguin would be better off going to Iceland...
... I'll get me coat
 Tesco - Perky Penguin
Captain Chaos - no penguins in Iceland and inflation there is 5.5% plus a horrendous cost of living! I will stay here in my igloo and watch VAT free DVDs!
 Tesco - captain chaos
I meant Iceland rather than Tesco PP! You can watch your VAT free DVDs and eat for just one pound :)
 tesco - commerdriver
Don't doubt what you say, Mark but I think the law on cars and presumption of pre existing faults is fairly clear so although i don't doubt that they would probably argue and try to get out of it I think they would end up paying.
Even the car supermarkets who are a fairly hard nosed bunch paid up when my son had a gearbox failure 4 months after buying a 4 year old Astra supposedly after the 3 month warranty had expired.
 tesco - Bellboy
>> SOGA would give you some further coverage I guess?
>>
>>>>> you sign the agreement 1 month warranty
its a legal agreementfor both sides
so dont sign if you dont want to be legally binding
you are over 18 or i need a parent or guardian to sign on your behalf
next................... :-)
 tesco - spamcan61
>> >> SOGA would give you some further coverage I guess?
>> >>
>> >>>>> you sign the agreement 1 month warranty
>> its a legal agreementfor both sides
>> so dont sign if you dont want to be legally binding
>> you are over 18 or i need a parent or guardian to sign on your
>> behalf
>> next................... :-)
>>
IANAL but I don't think the agreement could overrule a customer's statutory rights under SOGA, no matter how Tesco phrase it.
 tesco - Lygonos
>> I don't think the agreement could overrule a customer's statutory rights under SOGA, no matter how Tesco phrase it.

Correct.
 tesco - Bellboy
Correct
>>>
>>>..... just words
you sign the agreement that as its a s/h car and you are happy to accept a one month warranty
the detail is in the paperwork
please do not sign this legally binding agreement if you do not want to be bound by it
an extended warranty was offered at pos at favourable terms but customer has refused this

signed.......................Litigiousk learners
 tesco - captain chaos
Give us X thousand pounds
We've so much confidence in what we sell we give a one month warranty
Aye reet
 tesco - Lygonos
BB you're well aware that you cannot sign away statutory rights as a private buyer buying from a dealer.

A warranty of any kind (basically an insurance policy) is in addition to these rights, not instead of.
 tesco - Fenlander
Not sure about Tesco but some others operating a similar business model claimed they were sales agents (like ebay) so they had no liability unless you bought the warranty. Not sure how that would stand up in court?
 tesco - Fenlander
Just too late to edit but seen this on Wiki and, if correct, seems to confirm my thoughts...

Carsite as 'a new online-only method for disposing of fleet vehicles that's targeted directly at retail buyers. The website makes it quite clear that it's not a car dealer to avoid confusion... Site is currently undergoing maintenance and has been taken over by Tesco Cars, continuing the business model.
 tesco - CGNorwich
You are correct. Tesco site says:

Cars are offered to you directly from the original owners who are banks, lease and fleet companies. By allowing you to buy direct from banks, lease and fleet companies we reduce the costs of disposal for these sellers and being online remove the costs of running a dealership.

That makes the whole deal a lot less attractive. Seems to me that you would have no recourse against Tesco if things go wrong.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Wed 6 Apr 11 at 23:51
 tesco - Fenlander
Yep CGN and further from the Tesco T&Cs...

>>>If you buy a car on Tescocars.com you will have a contract with the Seller (and not Tesco Cars) for the purchase of the car. In some instances, the Seller will be Carsite (trading as Tesco Cars). If this is the case, we will notify you, in the normal way, that Carsite is the Seller. There is no difference to your contract with the Seller if it is Carsite or one of the other Sellers.

>>>List of all Sellers... The cars are offered to you directly from the original owners, the sellers, who are banks, lease and fleet companies. Our sellers include Hitachi Capital Vehicle, Days Contract Hire, Fleet Hire, Avis, Fiat, EuropCar, Alphabet, Zenith Provecta, and Tesco Cars.

So they make it quite clear you have no contract regarding the actual car with Tesco... your contract with them is just for the administration of the transfer to you.

Last edited by: Fenlander on Wed 6 Apr 11 at 23:55
 tesco - rtj70
I suppose this is not unexpected from Tesco. There was/is so much they could have been liable for if classed as dealer. But I'd not buy from them.

You might be better going to auction... but maybe more ex-lease car will now go via Tesco.
 tesco - Lygonos
>>Exactly what relationship has a report on Tesco fuel efficiency to do with the effectiveness of Tesco's car business?<<

Just in case anyone reading the start of this thread thought TESCO were a morally-guided company incapable of making errors or portraying cack.

Bargepole, touch, wouldn't, with a.

Pretty sure this will fizzle and probably take on a new "trading name" within a couple of years - didn't TESCO and ASDA try this before about a decade ago ?

I'll start a new thread for it to be laughed at maybe.
 tesco - captain chaos
Hmm, Tesco eh?
I see they're also in the tyre business, in conjunction with black circle. The same tyres are a tenner cheaper on black circles site than Tescos.
Every little helps...
 tesco - Alanovich
RAC members benefit from a discount on blackcircles tyres prices. I've been using that recently to good effect.
 tesco - Bromptonaut
This reads to me as if Tesco are competing with 'The Car Shop' and similar outfits. Like somebody upthread we looked at TCS & compared prices with the franchise dealer. In this case we were looking for a Picasso. Couldn't work out why anybody would go with TCS - except perhaps for a buyer looking at weekly cost rather than cost to change.

In the end we bought a Berlingo instead.
Latest Forum Posts