Motoring Discussion > Biking weather ... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 23

Biking weather ... - Hard Cheese
The trusty ZRX1100 has not been used for over a year, in fact it was last started about eight or nine months ago hence when I started to fettle it yesterday I expected to be stripping and cleaning the carbs, dumping stale fuel etc.

However after changing the battery (which hadn't been great and now wouldn't hold any charge) I turned it over manually a few times, I then turned it over on the starter a few times to build up oil pressure.

I then gave it some choke and it started first time sweet as a nut, all running smoothly.

After listening for strange noises and looking for leaks I let it run up to just under 100 deg C on the temp gauge and the fan cut in on cue, lovely.

I have changed the oil and filter this morning, an MOT is booked for Wed, it just needs a good polish.

EDIT: Should be in motoring - mods, please move, thanks!

Last edited by: Cheddar on Sat 9 Apr 11 at 13:08
 Biking weather ... - devonite
Three firsts for me today! - lets hope it makes four with the National!
1) passed by a "gaggle" of bikers on way to town this morning.
2)got stuck behind a caravan for two miles on way home.]
3) My Swallows have returned! ;-) 22nd april year before last, 17th last year, and 9th this year!

4) i`ve taken V-neck in the national, it`s always been a good jumper!
 Biking weather ... - Fenlander
Despite being somewhat out in the wilds we are on a B-road popular with bikers... several manic 80mph+ Jap machines and a few relaxed Harleys as I've been working outside today.

Best day of the year here weatherwise so far this year.
 Biking weather ... - Dave_
>> it started first time sweet as a nut

Our mechanic at work is having his mid-life crisis and passed his CBT last Saturday with a view to fast-tracking on to the big bikes. He's placed an order for a brand new 600cc something-or-other to be delivered on passing his Part 2 test.

I was reading one of his bike magazines last night, the advice given there is to get your bike started for the spring without replacing the fuel OR oil, as most of them are resilient enough to run regardless of fuel degradation over the winter etc.

Good luck with the ZXR Cheddar, I can see the merits in biking but having lost friends to bike crashes at a young age you'd never catch me on two wheels - personal preference I'm afraid. I might change my mind once the kids are all grown up though :)
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi {P} on Sat 9 Apr 11 at 16:37
 Biking weather ... - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> Good luck with the ZXR Cheddar, I can see the merits in biking but having
>> lost friends to bike crashes at a young age you'd never catch me on two
>> wheels - personal preference I'm afraid. I might change my mind once the kids are
>> all grown up though :)
>>
No one ever says, "Ive lost friends in car accidents so you'd never catch me in one".
 Biking weather ... - ....
Older bikers tend to think along the lines of another day, another line.
When you're young you're invincible, doesn't matter if it's a bike, a car or whatever.

As you get older you experience life and set your own limits.

Jealous of the ZRX though. Our CBR needs a new set of front pads and the front tread is too close to the limit now. Needs some work (read some beer tokens thrown at it) before I'll be out again :-(
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 9 Apr 11 at 19:25
 Biking weather ... - swiss tony
>> Older bikers tend to think along the lines of another day, another line.
>> When you're young you're invincible, doesn't matter if it's a bike, a car or whatever.
>>
>> As you get older you experience life and set your own limits.
>>
Im back on a bike (VFR750FL) after many years off bikes.
When I was young I took many risks, but was lucky. (only 2 off's only 1 bad one.)
The VFR is the biggest bike I have ever owned, but age has taught me to hold the risks.

I too lost a few friends in bike accidents (one a who was much the same age as myself only a few years ago) but I have also lost friends too car accidents, as well as a relative to a fishbone.
life is not without risk. it is up to the individual to decide on how high the risk is......
 Biking weather ... - NortonES2
I'd need a refresher with a frank but sympathetic tutor before I returned to biking. My last machine was a 500 single - rather slow compared with some bikes of its day. I fear the greater numbers of inept drivers of today. There were plenty of apparently blind drivers when I was a mere lad, but they are now legion!
 Biking weather ... - R.P.
I was itching ti go today - but due to playing catch up after working (yes working) for the last two days and moving house issues - sadly no time.

Norton,

I've done a basic Bikesafe course and a "First Rider on Scene" weekend - very, very good.
 Biking weather ... - Bromptonaut
Great weather for pushbiking as well.

Rode with the Folding Society's Origami Ride from Princes Risboro' to Thame and back. Out along a sustrans former rail line, pub lunch and back by the B roads. Good ride, excellent company, interesting bikes and some fabulous views of the Red Kites.

Oh and one Audi driver who starts blindly to overtake a group of 20 cyclists 50yds before he needs to turn left. We made sure he waited!!
 Biking weather ... - Harleyman
>> My last machine was a 500 single - rather slow compared with some bikes of
>> its day. I fear the greater numbers of inept drivers of today. There were plenty
>> of apparently blind drivers when I was a mere lad, but they are now legion!
>>
>>

The biggest problem isn't necessarily the cars; it's also due to the fact that today's 500cc road bikes are far, far quicker than even a Grand Prix race machine of thirty years ago.

The bike is better than the rider. That kills more bikers than accidents which are 100% the fault of cars.

There are also far more distractions; signs, speed limits, cameras, etc which divert attention for all road users.

You suggestion of a refresher is a wise one, which I'd heartily recommend to anyone seeking to return to two wheels after a long absence; in fact returning to four wheels as well!
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sat 9 Apr 11 at 22:01
>> The biggest problem isn't necessarily the cars; it's also due to the fact that today's
>> 500cc road bikes are far, far quicker than even a Grand Prix race machine of
>> thirty years ago.
>>
>> The bike is better than the rider. That kills more bikers than accidents which are
>> 100% the fault of cars.

So true HM... my 20year old VFR750 is mental fast - look up the specs!
I don't think I've opened the throttle more than halfway, and its still bleeding quick!
Also not taken her ANYWHERE near the 11000 redline.... 6000 i think so far.
Last edited by: swiss tony on Sat 9 Apr 11 at 22:06
>> So true HM... my 20year old VFR750 is mental fast - look up the specs!
>> I don't think I've opened the throttle more than halfway, and its still bleeding quick!
>> Also not taken her ANYWHERE near the 11000 redline.... 6000 i think so far.
>>
Look at the specs of the new bikes ! GSX-R750 has 150bhp, 1000cc bikes are pushing towards 200bhp now. First bike I bought after passing my test was a 636 with just under 120bhp.

I must admit the CBR feels a bit under powered at 95bhp but it is 14 years old. More of a commuter scooter these days...
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 9 Apr 11 at 22:47
>> Look at the specs of the new bikes ! GSX-R750 has 150bhp, 1000cc bikes are
>> pushing towards 200bhp now. First bike I bought after passing my test was a 636
>> with just under 120bhp.
>>
>> I must admit the CBR feels a bit under powered at 95bhp but it is
>> 14 years old. More of a commuter scooter these days...
>>
95bhp UNDERPOWERED!!!!!!
I know the new machines are pushing 200bhp, but Im finding the VFR more than enough..... at the moment! ;-)
Don't get me wrong, I'm not litre bike quick neither are a lot of the people who have them.
Problem for me is I look like I ate Rossi for my breakfast so most of the new 600's are too small for me. Gixxer 750 may be at the lower end of size for me but I reckon I could handle one whereas a litre bike I would have to buy some brown leathers. :-)
lol @ brown leathers...

A mate at work has a KTM (998?)
He says its a powerful engine with 2 wheels attached....

All I know is its beautifully made!
 Biking weather ... - Pat
>>Problem for me is I look like I ate Rossi for my breakfast <<

Mr pda has that stature too:)

He would recommend Bertha, our GSX1400.

He uses it for 10 months of the year for commuting and we use it for pleasure but after a long succession of GSXR's, Fazers and other various sports bike, he contends that it combines the two perfectly.

Pat

Biking weather ... - DP
My ZZR600's engine (100 bhp) had two modes. Sub 8,000 RPM it was tractable, docile and not remotely intimidating. At 8,000 RPM and beyond, the engine note hardened, the induction system began to sing, and it took off like a scalded cat, right the way to 14,000 RPM.
This too was a good starter after a long layup. I had an Optimate charger which I would plug in for a few weeks at a time throughout the winter period, and before laying up, would switch off the fuel tap and run the engine until it stopped to drain the carbs down. To restart, it would take 20 seconds of cranking to fill the float bowls up, and would burst into life, albeit a little lumpily. A gentle ride would see normal running restored within a few minutes.
Japanese motorcycles are wonderful.
 Biking weather ... - NortonES2
The bike I'd choose if I were to take the plunge would be of a dignified and stately character as befits moi:) Say a BMW twin or Kawasaki W650/800. I have no intention of being unable to open the throttle fully for fear of the consequences! To the other side of the equation, it seems beyond doubt that younger age group motorcyclists are more involved in single vehicle acccidents, but there are far more "right of way violations" caused by the innattentive/bloody minded et al Reference tinyurl.com/3mf8y4
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 12 Apr 11 at 00:50
 Biking weather ... - nyx2k
i was sked to get a friends 1999 vfr800 running yesterday.
it's been in his garage never started for at least 3yrs so i ran it on the starter and put in new fuel and it started in less than 5 seconds. we let it run up for 10 mins and i drove it to the mot station. all fine except front brake leak that was fixed for £90.

>> i was sked to get a friends 1999 vfr800 running yesterday. it's been in his garage never started for at least 3yrs so i ran it on the starter and put in new fuel and it started in less than 5 seconds. >>

Nice bike, the best VFR according to many.

>> He would recommend Bertha, our GSX1400.
>>
>> He uses it for 10 months of the year for commuting and we use it
>> for pleasure but after a long succession of GSXR's, Fazers and other various sports bike,
>> he contends that it combines the two perfectly.
>>

The GSX1400 is very torquey in the same vein as the CBR1300 however while the ZRX11/1200 are the same genre they rev higher and still offer that sports bike rush at the top end, particulary so when subtly fettled as mine has been with an Akrapovic etc etc, in my mind a better compromise.

That being said the latest FZ1 Fazer, Z1000 etc offer comfort and practicality along with 95% of the ability and performance of a superbike.

Biking weather ... - MD
>> That being said the latest FZ1 Fazer, Z1000 etc offer comfort and practicality along with
>> 95% of the ability and performance of a superbike.
>>

1974. Aged 16! Rode a mates Z1 several times. Massive torque all through the range and pulled like a train from 35mph in 5th. 0-60 in 3.2 then AND shod with cross ply's iirc. Most bikes are too powerful, but I don't condone limiting them at all because one day I wish to 'go there' again.

Stay safe.........MD

MOT passed today ... and it's raining!!

Latest Forum Posts