Motoring Discussion > One-handed motorcyclist Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 16

One-handed motorcyclist - Iffy
I've just seen a motorcyclist riding with one arm in a sling.

Wouldn't have thought it was possible, but he seemed to be making an easy job of it.

He was riding a Honda CBR and was properly dressed in all the kit.

His left forearm arm was in the sling, which was more like a moulded cup.

It was securely fastened with webbing over the shoulder and around the waist.

With no left hand on the handlebars, what couldn't he do in terms of bike control?

One-handed motorcyclist - Robin O'Reliant
Unless he could reach the clutch starting and stopping would be a bit of a problem. And I wouldn't fancy his chances in even the most minor emergency manouvre.
...Unless he could reach the clutch starting and stopping would be a bit of a problem...

The 'sling' looked well-used, so his left arm may be permanently out of action.

Perhaps the bike was an auto, or adapted in some way.

One-handed motorcyclist - VxFan
>> Unless he could reach the clutch starting and stopping would be a bit of a problem.

Not on a motorbike. Get it free wheeling by pushing off with your feet then select 1st gear. Once a bike is moving you can change gear quite easily without using the clutch. When you want to slow down and stop, just match the revs with changing down, then select neutral. On most Japanese bikes, the gear configuration is 1 down, and the rest of the gears you click up, with neutral being between 1st and 2nd gear.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 11 Apr 11 at 01:21
 One-handed motorcyclist - ....
>> With no left hand on the handlebars, what couldn't he do in terms of bike
>> control?
>>
Clutch and horn are done with the left hand. Left hand corner counter steering would be interesting trying to pull with right hand while controlling the throttle.
 One-handed motorcyclist - Ted

The NABD help with all sorts of modifications for riders with various disabilities so it's not as rare as you might think.

They're based in Trafford Park and can help with anything from a secvure holder for your blue badge to funding a double amputee to keep riding.

They have a website....National Assn for bikers with disabilities.

Ted
 One-handed motorcyclist - L'escargot
I've seen cyclists not using either hand!
 One-handed motorcyclist - MD
And I've seen plenty of car drivers who clearly use both...................often.
 One-handed motorcyclist - IJWS14
Once saw a one legged cyclist, crutches clipped lengthwise to the frame.
 One-handed motorcyclist - zookeeper
staying on the theme, we have a local window cleaner who only has one arm...he is accompanied by his apprentice ( someone has to wring the cloths out) ...
Always worth a watch:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=z61e1Hv6gIQ

"I've got nothing against your right leg, trouble is neither have you."

One-handed motorcyclist - Perky Penguin
My Partner's son-in-law lost his right arm, at the elbow, many years ago and still rides a very large Kawasaki, adapted with all hand controls on the left handlebar/grip. As a 2 armed ex-motorcyclist I can't say I would find riding one handed easy or enjoyable!
 One-handed motorcyclist - helicopter
Father in law used to work for BBC and told me the ( possibly apocryphal ) story of one of the BBC commissionaires who had only one arm opening the door for Eric Morecambe.

He then asked Eric if there was any chance of a ticket for him to the recording of the Morecambe and Wise show that week.

Eric looked at him and said 'No chance sunshine .... you can't clap'....
 One-handed motorcyclist - VxFan
Off at a slight tangent, this bloke has a funny/weird (delete as appropriate) sense of humour.

www.thedailyweird.com/tattoos/shark-stump-tattoo/

I've just been shooting the breeze with a motorcycling police contact of mine.

His one-armed biker story revolved around an accident involving a rider with a false arm.

He told me: "We arrived to see the bike on its side with the arm still attached to the hand grip.

"At first we thought the rider was badly injured, but we soon realised his arm had come off when he did."

My contact reckoned the rider clamped the hand of the false arm of the handlebar to aid control, knowing it would safely detach if he fell off.

One-handed motorcyclist - BiggerBadderDave
"an accident involving a rider with a false arm."

I wouldn't be surprised if Richard Kimble had something to do with it.
 One-handed motorcyclist - swiss tony
Here's a one armed biker.....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyKQjiTOXRg

He has some bottle!
Latest Forum Posts