Motoring Discussion > MoT to be every two years? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 8

MoT to be every two years? - Robin O'Reliant
According to this report it is being considered by the government -

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8441028/MoTs-every-two-years-under-proposed-changes-to-system.html
 MoT to be every two years? - Old Navy
If it happens I will make the motor trade squeal about loosing their gravy train, If they had a better reputation it would be less likely to happen.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 10 Apr 11 at 15:54
 MoT to be every two years? - Bill Payer
2yrs would fit in nicely with the service interval of my Merc!

I guess garages will squeal about it, and a fair number of cars won't get looked at by anybody other than the Police or AA inbetween MOTs, but whether it saves money for motorists or not depends on whether the test fee stays about the same and whether things left unrepaired for 2yrs don't end up costing more to fix than if they'd been caught earlier.
 MoT to be every two years? - L'escargot
I'm happy with the current system of an MOT every year after 3 years old. A lot can happen to a car in 12 months. Even the current system doesn't seem to be able to eliminate badly adjusted headlamps. In fact I suspect that some drivers set one of their dipped headlamps high on purpose in between MOTs. Saving the motorist money shouldn't be a reason for relaxing the rules.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sun 10 Apr 11 at 16:11
 MoT to be every two years? - jc2
In Germany,the TUeV test(their equivalent of our MoT test)is less frequent if the vehicle is serviced at a TUeV-approved garage.
 MoT to be every two years? - Old Navy
>> In Germany,the TUeV test(their equivalent of our MoT test)is less frequent if the vehicle is
>> serviced at a TUeV-approved garage.
>>

That is far too sensible for the UK.
 MoT to be every two years? - Tigger
>> In Germany,the TUeV test(their equivalent of our MoT test)is less frequent if the vehicle is
>>
That's a good compromise.
 MoT to be every two years? - ....
>>
Not strictly true. You can ring your main dealer and they will arrange for a TÜV/DEKRA or, I forget the third body, inspector to visit and test the vehicle. It is carried out by an independant body but not always at their facility(ies).

If there were stricter enforcement of the vehicle being serviced according to the manufacturer's guidelines then the MOT would be irrelevant. The MOT only really catches out the vehicles which are not serviced.
If you look after your car then you have a pretty good idea of what work is required.
 MoT to be every two years? - Zero

>> seem to be able to eliminate badly adjusted headlamps. In fact I suspect that some
>> drivers set one of their dipped headlamps high on purpose in between MOTs.

Of course they dont, why would anyone wind one headlamp up and down every 12 months
Latest Forum Posts