Motoring Discussion > Dodge Challenger - Finally a decent hire car Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Statistical Outlier Replies: 3

Dodge Challenger - Finally a decent hire car - Statistical Outlier
I just handed back my 'midsize' hire car. Sadly they had run out of Hyundais so I got a Dodge Challenger. Was, I think, a 2010 R/T, which I think means it was a 6.2 V8 Hemi and 376 hp.

Whatever, made a proper good noise and went like stink, although to be honest it wasn't as quick from about 60 as I would have expected. Went and stopped better than anything I've driven short of a Ferrari, although the steering wheel could have been from a boat and the handling was safe rather than sublime.

Astonishingly easy to swing the back round by mistake in the wet, and on purpose in the dry. And judging from the twin black lines that could be left from a standstill, I'm guessing it had a limited slip diff.

Good times.
 Dodge Challenger - Finally a decent hire car - Skoda
Sounds good fun, still fancy a shot of a properly sorted modern muscle car remake.

What was the auto box like? Not sure whether to expect something that clunks like a meaty brut or whether they're all flowers and kittens and change too soon, for economy.
 Dodge Challenger - Finally a decent hire car - -
Nice, glad you enjoyed it, me? jealous?...chah!.

''flowers and kittens and change too soon, for economy.''

With that engine and my experiences of owning old school US V8's, change point doesn't really make much difference such is the torque available, happy days indeed.
 Dodge Challenger - Finally a decent hire car - Statistical Outlier
The autobox was fine, and for such a large capacity car, I was surprised that top gear wasn't longer. 70 mph saw about 2200 rpm, much higher than many US autos I've driven. Was fairly happy to kick down, and flooring it sent the revs soaring to the redline.

The only real concession to economy was the throttle mapping. The pedal needed a long push before things went ballistic. Having driven the car in the wet, I can see why. Just pulling out of a junction (and not messing around or giving it the beans at all) I needed half a turn of opposite lock to pull the back end back into shape. Good fun, but would be a handful if the mapping was more 'enthusiastic'.
Latest Forum Posts