Motoring Discussion > Car rental for older people Miscellaneous
Thread Author: tyro Replies: 10

Car rental for older people - tyro
My parents, born in 1933 and 1935, tell me that they cannot rent cars now because of their age. They admit that they can still rent cars in one or two places - the USA and Majorca, for example - but they tell me that in most places, car rental is impossible for them.

Are they exaggerating? Are there agencies in, say, the UK and France where they could rent a car? How might they find "senior-friendly" car rental companies?
 Car rental for older people - henry k
Thought I had seen some useful info. It was on my car hire docs last year.
I have found a ref to it as I cannot put my hand on my last form

www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2005/jun/11/budgetingforyourholiday1
Prime timeIt's the limit being refused a hire carBe warned, many companies won't rent to over-70s
"One major car rental company that doesn't impose age limits is Avis-Rent-A-Car, "

another site says ( for the UK but may also apply abroad )
We understand that the following large national car hire companies have no upper age limit:
AVIS, tel: +44 (0)990 900500 +44 (0)990 900500
BUDGET, tel: +44 (0)541 565656 +44 (0)541 565656
HERTZ, tel: +44 (0)990 6699 +44 (0)990 6699

news.carrentals.co.uk/new-car-hire-insurance-for-older-drivers-3421388.html
 Car rental for older people - henry k
More info
www.smartertravel.com/travel-advice/What-rental-limit-seniors.html?id=12004

some details by country in the above
"You can find out the rules for other Auto Europe destinations by visiting the Auto Europe website and clicking on a country name."
 Car rental for older people - lilyallen2012
Having never hired a car before I scoured the internet, and local car hire companies in my local area for the best deal. My partner has hired cars and vans previously, but this time it was up to me to find the vehicle that we needed.

We needed to hire a 7-seater car that we could use to take me, my partner, my mum, two brothers and nephew to Central London and North West London for a weekend away. Thanks to (free advert removed) for their complete service package and made our trip enjoyable.
Last edited by: Webmaster on Thu 21 Jun 12 at 09:30
 Car rental for older people - Duncan
>> Thanks to (free advert removed) for their complete service package and made our trip enjoyable.

Curious post from a first - timer?

Would you care to expand, Lily?

Last edited by: Webmaster on Thu 21 Jun 12 at 09:30
 Car rental for older people - L'escargot
>> Would you care to expand, Lily?
>>

Are you trying to entice her to overeat?

Welcome, lilyallen2012. We're not all so uncouth!
>> Welcome, lilyallen2012. We're not all so uncouth!
>>

The point I was making was that in one sentence she said the company provided service, in the next she said they were appalling!

A little contradictory, don't you think, Les?
 Car rental for older people - L'escargot
It must be a similar situation to car insurance where some insurers limit the age at which they'll take on new clients.
 Car rental for older people - Meldrew
I recently had a week in Austria (BA flights for 2 and hire of a Golf, upgraded free to a Yeti, for £530) I just looked at the same package and BA's only requirement for the car rental was that the driver must be over 23. They use Avis. I have just tried an Avis car rental direct on the Avis site and all they want to know if the driver is between 19 and 25 years old. I appears that Avis have no upper limit. I also checked a Florida booking and over 25 was all they wanted
Link to Grauniad

tinyurl.com/cby634p
 Car rental for older people - Meldrew
Thanks Duncan. Seems to confirm what I think about Avis but the local variations and limitations by franchisees are really confusing! I just did a booking search with Holiday Autos quoting age 85 and got offered a rental! The answer seems to be careful research, as ever!
Latest Forum Posts