Motoring Discussion > Peugeot 1007 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: corax Replies: 14

Peugeot 1007 - corax
I had to take the Avensis back to the dealers to repair the air con a few days ago, which was all sorted under warranty and I picked the car up today. They gave me a Peugeot 1007 as a courtesy car.

Well, what a strange experience to start with anyway. The guy gave me the remote and pointed out the buttons, the usual lock/unlock and the other two button that open the - electric sliding doors! They make a big whirring sound accompanied by pinging noises from within, and you just slide into the seat. Very comfortable driving position. The engine was gutless though - looking at some reviews I guess mine was a 1.4 petrol. It's very safe, but the downside is it's heavy, and you really have to row the thing along from a standing start. It would make much more sense with something like a 2.0l diesel. You sit high and don't feel intimidated by people tailgating, even though this is classed as a city car. The ride was a bit jiggly and there was plenty of road noise, but the handling was good - no roll. This is the first time I've driven something where you sit high and upright in a commanding position, I can see why people like small van like vehicles, especially if they have a gutsy engine.

It was thirsty with this engine, and I wondered how long it would be before the electric doors gave up or needed repairs. On the plus side, you would have no worries about parking close to someone in a car park. The boot was small, but the seats could all be flipped up to increase the load area.

Has anyone else driven one of these?
 Peugeot 1007 - Perky Penguin
I haven'e seen many around, they were £1000 more than a Honda Jazz which had 5 seats. Most of them are dealer's demonstrators and courtesy cars SFAIK and it is no longer made.
 Peugeot 1007 - Boxsterboy
Bit of a flop, the 1007. They didn't sell, even in France. Over-weight, under-powered and a bit big/ugly for a city car seems to be the main problem with them.

But I wouldn't worry about the electric doors. Our C8 has them too, and apart from sensors occassionally being over-sensitive they have given no trouble in 8 years. They can be opened manually if they do.
 Peugeot 1007 - corax
>> Most of them are dealer's demonstrators and courtesy cars SFAIK and it is
>> no longer made.

It was a Peugeot dealer that I bought my Toyota from.

The other thing is that you can drive with the doors open - I didn't try this but was sorely tempted. I don't know how legal this is now. I remember my Grandad driving the Royal Mail van with the sliding doors open, then they used to slam shut when he stopped sharpish at traffic lights.

I read an owner review and he was having problems with the doors opening and closing randomly, coming back from shopping excursions to find one open. Really not want you want.
 Peugeot 1007 - RattleandSmoke
Peugeot completely mis judged tastes and what consumers want with this car. One of the motorings most recent flops.

I've seen a few but they are rare cars.
 Peugeot 1007 - Perky Penguin
0 -60 in over 12 seconds and only 42mpg and that was with the 1.6 engine! The 1.4 must have been truly dire!
 Peugeot 1007 - -
Dreadful thing, i hated even putting them on the truck, especially with the automated manual.
You have to remember to close the windows before opening the doors as all the connections get made with the doors closed.
Seen them with interiors fully stripped out in Pug workshops with wiring probs.

The handling isn't up to much, i had a particularly aggressive 1007 driver tailgaiter pushing me home from work one wet evening, took a long sweeping bend in the old MB, he made it, just, but followed at a discreet distance after.

Don't you find the driving position claustrophopic with those great lumps jutting out of the top front windscreen corners Corax?
 Peugeot 1007 - Stuu
When looking for my current car I seriously considered a diesel 1007 but very consistant build issues put me off, despite my desire to own one.
Its not for everyone thats for sure, but I think with some better design it would be a reasonable car for those who just want a practical small car - how they made it as heavy as it is god alone only knows.
I see a fair few about in Northampton area, they seem to have sold well round here, nearly always elderly owners.

The great plus point is that due to poor reputation they are extremely cheap compared to other Pug models.
 Peugeot 1007 - corax
>> Don't you find the driving position claustrophopic with those great lumps jutting out of the
>> top front windscreen corners Corax?

I only found it a problem around sharp bends, but it's the same with all cars with thick front windscreen pillars - they create a blind spot. Other than that I wasn't really concious of them. I found the handling surprisingly good - all the weight is low down and it didn't roll, but you can feel the weight, it's not nimble, your aggressive 1007 tailgater probably lost his nerve (and he certainly wouldn't have had the power to overtake you). I tend to drive something new fairly hard, just to find the limits, and I found myself wishing it had a powerful diesel engine, the chassis could certainly handle it. The Seat Ibiza I drove recently was great fun with the 100PD engine. The 75bhp 1.4 engine in this was pretty pathetic to be honest, a wheezing, whistling lump.

>>Seen them with interiors fully stripped out in Pug workshops with wiring probs.

This is what puts me off cars like this, on the one hand Peugeot have made some damn good cars (205, 306), but the build quality is a bit hit and miss. I guess they suit the sort of person that doesn't mind the odd glitch, because the good points outweigh the bad points.

Peugeot 1007 - Skoda
I'd have thought they would sell pretty well, i quite like it. I'd happily use that for parking in the city.
 Peugeot 1007 - spamcan61
List price for a 1.6 SE on a '57 was nearly 13K which seems a lot of money for a little car.
 Peugeot 1007 - Stuu
A low miles diesel one is now less than £6k at 3 years old, petrols even less. 6 year old ones are starting at £2.5k.
 Peugeot 1007 - madf
Went for a test drive in one when launched.

An acquired taste: but good for a town car if you don't corner fast..
What put me off was the prospect of running the battery flat... the dealer had one which had just done that...

Friend has one: she drives only in town like a granny should: ideally suited to her style...

Like all new cars, I decided to wait until it was properly tested by the public before I bought one: secondhand of course..

Don't feel the need of one so never went back.
 Peugeot 1007 - Ted

I thought they'd stopped importing them due to problems with the doors. I think VOSA didn't like them !

I recall a thread on HJ from a lady who had bought one ( or had one on Motability ) specifically for her child with special needs. She was asking for advice as the door/s had opened on the move, I think.

I think this brought posts from folk who'd had similar probs.

Ted
 Peugeot 1007 - Ted

Here 'tis

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=76438

Ted
Latest Forum Posts