Motoring Discussion > Traffic lights in questionable positions? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 5

Traffic lights in questionable positions? - sherlock47
The recent thread on legality of road signs on private property has prompted me to post pictures of some local traffic lights.

A word of explanation is probably worth while to explain what can be seen from streetView.

The bend that runs past the pub is narrow to the point of dangerous - although in the 20 years that I had used it on a regular basis I had never seen anything actually hit, but had witnessed a number of near misses. The cleversolution was was to put in SALT traffic lights, but they then realised that the pub car park and a private driveway actually would enter into the controlled section. This accounts for the 4 extra sets of lights.

tinyurl.com/5rt6jo4

One set of lights is placed with the pillar in the middle of the pavement -preventing safe push chair access on the pavement!

The sets of lights controlling the pub car park exit does not have any stop line.

The set of lines controlling the garage access driveway has a line on private property?

I just wonder how 'legal' this set up is?
Last edited by: pmh on Wed 13 Apr 11 at 17:54
 Traffic lights in questionable positions? - RattleandSmoke
I really don't understand why they are, is the road extremely busy or something? It certainly the most unusual light setup I have ever seen.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Wed 13 Apr 11 at 17:58
 Traffic lights in questionable positions? - Old Navy
No idea how legal it is. Some level of user common sense must be assumed, if not in the councils traffic management outfit.

We have a set of lights at a T junction with a private house drive entering making it a cross roads. The private drive has a buried sensor in the pavement which turns all the lights red. Good job they don't park on it.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 13 Apr 11 at 18:09
 Traffic lights in questionable positions? - Ted
Seems a bit odd.
I would think anyone coming out of the pub car park could be in danger from somone speeding round the bend but perhaps a set of light controlling the bend would have done the job..like the set on a hump back bridge.

There's an interesting set in the City centre here. A T junction with a box. There is a clear bit of road, say 2 cars worth after the lights and before the box. The other vehicles come in from the left.
So if the road ahead is blocked, you stop at the box. But, you've passed the lights and you've no idea if you can go when the traffic ahead clears. OK, you could edge forward carefully...but, the vehicle coming at you from the left is a 52 ton tram bursting out of a tunnel about ten feet from the kerb !
Unfortunately Streetview couldn't get near due to road works.
 Traffic lights in questionable positions? - Dwight Van Driver
Narrow road - single line traffic over long distance - too long to expectr drivers to give wat without control?
dvd
No2av
 Traffic lights in questionable positions? - Old Navy
>> There's an interesting set in the City centre here. A T junction with a box.
>> There is a clear bit of road, say 2 cars worth after the lights and
>> before the box. The other vehicles come in from the left.
>> So if the road ahead is blocked, you stop at the box. But, you've passed
>> the lights and you've no idea if you can go when the traffic ahead clears.
>>

The T junction I mentioned above has that feature, without the trams!
Latest Forum Posts