Motoring Discussion > Honda Accord Tourer - Should I Replace My Rear Tyres Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Robbie34 Replies: 18

Honda Accord Tourer - Should I Replace My Rear Tyres - Robbie34
My Accord Tourer is now seven years old and the rear tyres are the originals with plenty of tread. The front pair were replaced two years ago, although they would have lasted at least another twelve months.

Caravan owners are recommended to replace tyres at five years due to UV degradation. Should this apply to cars, and do you think I should buy a new pair for the back?
 Honda Accord Tourer - Should I Replace My Rear Tyres - corax
Have a look at them closely. Are they showing signs of hairline cracks in the sides?
 Honda Accord Tourer - Should I Replace My Rear Tyres - NortonES2
Isn't the current mantra to fit new tyres to the rear, using the rears on the front? Gets around having brittle, hardened old tyres at the back:)
 Honda Accord Tourer - Should I Replace My Rear Tyres - Tigger
If there aren't any of the minute cracks in the sidewalls you could put them on the front for a year or so - and get some wear out of them.

As a caravanner, I tend to replace my tyres at 3-4 years. But they spend much of the year going nowhere, there's a lot of weight on them and they're inflated to 55 psi.

The fact that rear tyres seem to last forever on an FWD is one of the reasons I agree with putting the new tyres on the rear.
 Honda Accord Tourer - Should I Replace My Rear Tyres - FotheringtonTomas
Condition is everything. If they aren't badly cracked and perished, and the tread depth isn't greatly more than the front ones, I'd swap them for the front ones, and wear them out.
 Honda Accord Tourer - Should I Replace My Rear Tyres - Clk Sec
The rear tyres on my car are approaching their ninth year and are in good condition with plenty of tread remaining. I seem to recall a lengthy thread on the other forum a few years ago where some were saying that tyres could last up to ten years, as long as the vehicle was in regular use and the tyres were regularly checked.

I'm no expert, though.
 Honda Accord Tourer - Should I Replace My Rear Tyres - Mike H
The austrian motoring club ÖAMTC have just conducted a test looking at old tyres - in german I'm afraid but available at tinyurl.com/5roxvxr . If you click on the link "Ergebnisse des Tests" you can download a PDF with the results (you don't need to understand the german particularly, just that 5 stars is good, one star is bad). Their conclusion is that tyres have deteriorated badly after 6 years, and they recommend that they shouldn't be used after 4 years.
 Honda Accord Tourer - Should I Replace My Rear Tyres - Falkirk Bairn
Costco put new tyres as rears and put old ones on the front.

I used to get approx 25,000 on the last Civic on the front, thereafter the rears usually gave 20-23,000 when refitted on the front. Tyres therefore never over 2 - 2.5 years old
 Honda Accord Tourer - Should I Replace My Rear Tyres - Boxsterboy
The tyres on my 2CV must be 10 years old, but it is kept in a garage out of UV when not in use - I wonder if that will mean the tyres will last longer?

MOT coming on Tuesday - shall I mention it to my friendly tester? Nah, best keep quiet!
 Honda Accord Tourer - Should I Replace My Rear Tyres - Zero
The rears on the Lancer are 4 years old, as far as I can tell they have been in the sun for all of them. Copped an advisory at the last MOT - Cracking evident on rear tyres. They are looking a bit sun bleached and shabby.
 Honda Accord Tourer - Should I Replace My Rear Tyres - Runfer D'Hills
Aw bless!... and you with scruffy trainers and cargo pants on too. I know you're retired, but you know you should still try at least to have some standards. Are you keeping yourself washed and so on old chap? Wouldn't like to think of you going to seed so to speak.

:-)
I am good thanks, can still scrub up good enough to come and visit you in Mock Tudor Close.
Of course, you'd fit in a treat. Lots of the people round here have handymen and so on turning up regularly. No one would be mean to you. They might ask you for a price to mow their lawn though...

:-))
50 quid to you guvner, (raises a grubby finger to peak of flat cap)
See now that's the spirit! You could earn enough to replace those tyres in a jiffy...

>> retired, but you know you should still try at least to have some standards.

That reminds me, How are your early retirement plans coming along? 68 I think you said?
No such luck I'm afraid, 75 at best if I don't peg it first...
I'll save my worn old trainers and cargo pants for you then. Sounds like you might need them.
:-)
Latest Forum Posts