Motoring Discussion > What difference does the number of owners .... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 35

What difference does the number of owners .... - Hard Cheese

... make to the value of a car?

I am looking at a Sep '08 BMW 1 Series at a BMW dealer, mint, low mileage, full history, three owners:

Owner 1/ BMW - demonstrator
Owner 2/ Jan '09 to Feb '11
Owner 3/ Feb '11 to Apr '11 - apparently his circumstances chganged and he needed a larger car.

How much less is this worth compared to a one owner car everything else being equal?

Thanks.

What difference does the number of owners .... - Zero
>> Owner 3/ Feb '11 to Apr '11 - apparently his circumstances chganged and he needed
>> a larger car.

Yeah, circumstances don't change that quickly, make sure you have a cast iron warranty.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 26 Apr 11 at 10:40
 What difference does the number of owners .... - oilburner
I used to think that the number of previous owners mattered little, until I recently bought an Avensis with 4 previous "caring" owners in as many years... The last owner only had the car a month or so...

And yes, it did have several annoying faults that were impossible to pin down, and even the Toyota approved warranty wasn't much use if the dealer cannot find the source of a problem...

It now sits awaiting another buyer on the same Toyota forecourt that I bought it from, only now it has 5 previous owners... Incredibly, the dealer is advertising it at nearly £1k *more* than it was priced at when I bought it from them last year!
 What difference does the number of owners .... - bathtub tom
Have you heard this yourself from owner number 3, or is it what the salesman told you?
 What difference does the number of owners .... - rtj70
Do you want an ex-demo car - could have been trashed at times. And I'd be dubious about the reason for the car going back by the third owner.
 What difference does the number of owners .... - Runfer D'Hills
You've probably thought this through but I'd be wary of running two small cars when you have a young family. I know you like the 1 series you already have but I'd be looking to source a larger more practical car too. I'd suspect the "circumstances" which changed for the previous owner of being as simple as discovering it was too small. I miss the practicality of my Mondeo estate at some point most weeks and the Qashqai isn't bad at swallowing people and kit. I'm sure I'd get very frustrated by anything smaller.

If you're fancying a BMW have you looked at 3 series tourings? They seem to be available at most price / spec ranges.

>> You've probably thought this through but I'd be wary of running two small cars when
>> you have a young family.>>

The oldest two aren't often with us these days though five of us went away in the 120i for Easter with no probs. In fact the rear legroom is not bad for a small car, it is the transmission tunnel that is the main issue.

>> Have you heard this yourself from owner number 3, or is it what the salesman
>> told you?
>>
The salesman, sounds very genuine, they sold it, the guys job changed meaning that he needed more space and traded it for a 3 Series Touring.

>> he needed more space and traded it for a 3 Series Touring.

Oh, I see...

:-)
>> The salesman, sounds very genuine,

Yes they do. Its part of the job.

In answer to your original question

1/ You have two guys on here who dont trust it. Thats enough fopr us to walk away, so surely it effects the desireability.

2/ You have your doubts too, or you wouldnt ask.
 What difference does the number of owners .... - Boxsterboy
>> 1/ You have two guys on here who dont trust it. >>

Make that 3. Only an idiot would buy a car of that value and sell after 1-2 months, when they realised it wasn't big enough. Oh, hang on, it's a BMW buyer we're talking about ...

I reckon it's a lemon.
 What difference does the number of owners .... - Londoner
>> Incredibly, the dealer is advertising it at
>> nearly £1k *more* than it was priced at when I bought it from them last
>> year!
>>
Sales ploy - That is just so that they can offer the next buyer a *Great* discount.
 What difference does the number of owners .... - Bellboy
im not sure how many owners because the paperwork hasnt arrived yet but im sure it wont be a problem
now how about a test drive?

I think I have ruled this one out.

What difference does the number of owners .... - Dulwich Estate
Would you marry her if she'd had 3 previous husbands ?
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate on Tue 26 Apr 11 at 12:54
 What difference does the number of owners .... - smokie
Not without a rebore first :-)
 What difference does the number of owners .... - henry k
>> Not without a rebore first :-)
>>

...now there is an expression that seems to be almost lost in history .
 What difference does the number of owners .... - Roger.
>> Not without a rebore first :-) >>
A re-sleeve more likely!
 What difference does the number of owners .... - Focusless
>> Would you marry her if she'd had 3 previous husbands ?

I did :)

(15 years and counting BTW...)
Its ok as long as the previous ones did not die in mysterious circumstances.
 What difference does the number of owners .... - L'escargot
>> Incredibly, the dealer is advertising it at
>> nearly £1k *more* than it was priced at when I bought it from them last
>> year!
>>

When you have inflation (which we have) , the price of used/secondhand goods may well go up.
 What difference does the number of owners .... - Stuu
The number of owners as such doesnt matter so much as how many per year its had.

I once had a Hyundai Sonata that had a new owner every year since new ( 7 years old when I bought it ) and it was spot on, drove like a dream ( as dream like as a Sonata gets anyhow ).
dreams normalyy turn into nightmares and looking at the front end of a sonato could give you them
maybe all previous 7 owners had every component changed prior to your purchase?>
i had a very near miss with an i10 today stupid old man swapped lanes as he put his indicator on,i dont know how i failed to ram him to be honest,proper ex lada owners these new i10 owners
My Sonata was a '98 one 2.0 auto, they were quite bland unlike the bug-eyed one that followed, solid big cars and very good value, 15k of hassle-free ownership in the days when petrol was somewhere around reasonable...
 What difference does the number of owners .... - sooty123
My car is 8 years old and I'm the sixth owner and it's been reliable just service items and a bit of niff naff items. Can you use it as leverage to get some cash off?
>> .....15k of hassle-free ownership in
>> the days when petrol was somewhere around reasonable...
>>
I didn't realise that the Sonata had been around that long!
reasonable wasnt that long ago.
I don't think that they have been reasonable ever since Ken Clarke was Chancellor (if not further back).

Just out of interest, when do you think that fuel prices were "reasonable" then? And what would a reasonable price for a litre of petrol be right now, in your opinion?

(Genuine question - not trying to be funny - I'd like your opinion)
Reasonable is about the 98p litre mark

That wasnt that long ago. That was the cost in Gibraltar last month.
This is quite an eye-opener...

www.speedlimit.org.uk/petrolprices.html
Fair shout - it's all opinion after all. There isn't a scientific formula for this.

My finger-in-the-air guess for reasonable petrol prices would be whatever they were in 1993. This was before the Fuel Price Escalator was introduced to persistently raise fuel duty ahead of inflation every year.
 What difference does the number of owners .... - Alanovich
>> Reasonable is about the 98p litre mark

If petrol were 98p per litre today, there would be screams of protest that we're nearing the £1 a litre mark. Something must be done, RIP OFF BRITAIN they would scream from the front pages.
>>I didn't realise that the Sonata had been around that long!<<

First ones came out around '89-'90 after the Stellar was discontinued.
 What difference does the number of owners .... - movilogo
Usually people think

too many owners = problematic car

So, it may reduce the resale value quite a bit.

many owners= peoples opinion that its been clocked
unfortunately usually the opposite is true
 What difference does the number of owners .... - Snakey
I've changed cars in a short space of time previously.

Once was a Focus that I sold due to the fact it gave me backache. Nothing wrong with the car at all - I just couldn't adopt to Focus seats.

Another was getting rid of a Jag X Type to get an estate - yes, change of job meant a saloon was no use at all!

So it could be a genuine story I suppose.
Latest Forum Posts