Motoring Discussion > Mobility Scooters Car Hoist Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 8

Mobility Scooters Car Hoist - BobbyG
A friend has a mobility scooter and is looking for a new car, currently has a Passat.

One pre requisite is that it must be able to take her scooter into the back of the car without it being folded in any way. She has suggested that she likes the look of the new Touran so obviously looking about a £20k budget. Manual diesel as well (for some reason).

Now the obvious car to me would be something like Berlingo, Multipla etc but her suggestion of Touran would look that she is wanting something less van like and more luxurious.

I will try and get more info on her requirements to then get your advices on cars but in the meantime, has anyone any experience of scooter hoists?

One example I have found by googling is this
www.help-my-mobility.co.uk/articles/mobility-scooter-hoists.htm just to give you an idea what I am talking about (I didn't know these existed!)

Mobility Scooters Car Hoist - oilburner
Has she considered the C5 Tourer in Exclusive trim? (So it gets the proper Citroen suspension). These seem popular with people that use scooter hoists for two reasons: 1) the rear suspension can be lowered/raised from the boot, making it easier to load the scooter and 2) the self levelling aspect of the suspension is very good news for having such a heavy thing right at the back of the car.

My old C5 Estate had previously been owned by someone using a scooter hoist, you could tell because of the holes in the boot!
 Mobility Scooters Car Hoist - TJ
Relative of mine with MS has just got a Skoda Yeti with a hoist for her electric wheelchair. The Yeti has a big, squareish hatch so the compact chair fits quite easily in on the hoist & goes in the boot without needing to fold down the back seats.
TJ, that is one of the cars I recommended to her. And I know Skoda has hinted at this in various posts he has made, but on looking at Yetis they really do hold their value and some of them carry huge price tags - a good specced top of the range is in the very high £20k's, and that is a used car!

She can get car on Motability and is now looking at various cars I have suggested from Doblo types (for usuable space and shape), to Yetis as well as the Touran and Tiguan as she likes VW.
 Mobility Scooters Car Hoist - TJ
This is a Motability car & is well specced - auto (obviously), mostly leather trim. Didnt check the trim level as such. She still has to come to terms with the hand controls - push/pull on the right for brake/accelerator & then the knob on the steering wheel has an attachment that works everything else - indicators, lights etc. Nightmare to relearn. She was pleased with the help & support she got from West End Garage in Broxburn.
 Mobility Scooters Car Hoist - Skoda
>> West End Garage in Broxburn

Wish i'd found those guys first time around. They've looked after me well with this car.

I'll know in future, always seek out family run franchises.
Yeah when I was getting my Fabia they were excellent with me even though , at the end of the day, they did not have a suitable car in the colour I wanted.
Is that your old Octavia they are advertising?
 Mobility Scooters Car Hoist - Skoda
Aye, feels strange seeing it up for sale. Good car, if it were cost effective to convert that to DSG auto i'd have happily done it, but worked out far cheaper to buy a new one with DSG.

www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=601314846#
Latest Forum Posts