Motoring Discussion > Another spare tyre thread Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 1

Another spare tyre thread - BobbyG
Don't want to hijack Cheddars thread but it did make me think.

Ever since I learnt to drive in a Talbot Samba, my cars have always had spare tyres. And they always will. Even though I always had to go back to my mechanic and get the spare that he had forgotten to put back on top of the Samba's engine!

In late 70s we set off on a caravan holiday through Europe, my dad making sure he had all bases covered by buying a can of tyre sealing gunk in case of caravan puncture., That night we spent it in the caravan, in the layby of some busy A class road as trucks went blasting past shaking the caravan. Reason for this, we got a blow out that no can of stuff was going to solve!

After that, we always carried a spare wheel and tyre for the caravan.

Now we seem to be going full circle, back to cans of gunk? Why is this ? Is it cost, weight or ripping off from manufacturers?

My Altea has a space saver, thats fine, it will help me in emergency and its size means I get a bigger boot. I see that as a happy medium between being stranded with no spare, or being able to swap to full size and hit 70mph again. I have never had to use it.My missus Beetle has a full size spare, steel unlike the alloys on her car, but still has a brand new tyre on it - I may well swap the tyre for the next worn one that needs to be changed.

I can't remember the last time I had a puncture that needed changing at side of road (no doubt will get one tomorrow now!). Yes have had a few where I have spotted a nail or noticed pressure going down.

But I believe that some cars still have the spare wheel well but no wheel - well thats not going to give you more space is it?

What are people's experiences of punctures when relying on run flat or goo? Did they work for you or give you more problems?
 Another spare tyre thread - Ted

I had a Mk 1 Punto diesel from new which had a space saver. I used it once for a 50 mile run home and it didn't seem any different. The car didn't lean over on one corner as I thought it might. Luckily the boot wasn't jammed with luggage
I'm not sure what the Note has, it's a wheel, though. The Vitara has a steel one on the back door....alloys all round. The Jowett has a matching stove enamelled wheel in the boot....about 25 inches across, so rather big. It lives in there 'cos the undertray won't quite fit without fouling the aftermarket stainless exhaust.
I don't ever carry luggage, etc...so not a problem

Actually, the Jowett spare has a second function. I cut a circle of MDF about 20 inches diameter. Hoik the wheel out at shows, put the MDF on it and ,Voila...a stable picnic table !

I've used goo once, a front wheel puncture on a Belgian cart track...sorry, motorway. Front wheel of the BMW bike. It did the job and got me home...and around for several weeks. When I took the tyre off to sort it, I expected it to be full of grunge but it was as clean as a clean tyre ! No trace of goo. Checked for nails, stuck a tube in and alles ist gut !

The caravan has a spare in the front locker as standard...never used it. The wheels are fitted with Tyron bands so you tyre won't come off and damage the wheel arch.

Ted
Latest Forum Posts