Motoring Discussion > Think Bike Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 16

Think Bike - L'escargot
Over the last couple of weeks there has been a lot of Think Bike signs erected in our area. I've nothing whatsoever against this, but having witnessed the antics of some bikers I really think there should be an equal number of Think Car signs for the attention of the bikers.
 Think Bike - -
Have to agree.

What's the deal with bikers going between two overtaking trucks on dual carriageways.

My lad who was a biker, and as fast as any but without the death wish, phoned me a little while ago to report he was alongside (don't remember who was overtaking) another truck on the A14 and a bike went between the two of them, probably doing around a ton...car transporter one of 'em...not long for this world.
 Think Bike and get off the phone!! - henry k
Some photos of the vehicles in a multiple fatality. You have been warned.

"This graphic demonstration was placed at the Motorcycle Fair by the Police and Road Safety Department..
Pass this on to car drivers or soon to be new drivers, or new motorcycle owners
AND ESPECIALLY EVERYONE YOU KNOW WHO HAS A MOBILE PHONE!!!!!

www.rogatevillage.co.uk/index_files/Page396.htm

Think Bike and get off the phone!! - BiggerBadderDave
"AND ESPECIALLY EVERYONE YOU KNOW WHO HAS A MOBILE PHONE!!!!!"

or as I see it

ESPECIALLY BIKERS WHO RIDE AT 85MPH ON ROADS THAT HAVE SIDE STREETS!!!!
 Think Bike and get off the phone!! - mikeyb
We have recently had a few put up here. There is a moderate, fast, low risk A road that leads out of our town to the M5.

A biker got killed on it a couple of years back, so we had to have the local papers full of his family campaigning for the signs to be erected.

No sooner had the signs gone up than they campaigned again that they were not big enough, so under pressure the council bowed to presure and replaced them with larger signs.

I do feel for the family whatever the cause of the fatality, but I dont need more signs stating the obvious
 Think Bike and get off the phone!! - Dave_
>> ESPECIALLY BIKERS WHO RIDE AT 85MPH ON ROADS THAT HAVE SIDE STREETS

Like this guy (all of it, but particularly from 10m10sec onwards):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZhrH92CJtY

The Total garage is at the start of a 30mph limit.
 Think Bike and get off the phone!! - bathtub tom
When I did my RAC/ACU motorbike training course back in 19erm, we were shown pictures and films similar to that, but taken at the scene before they were 'tidied up'.

Some fainted, others vomited, a few refused to come and several walked out. I steeled myself to sit through it and survived until today.

I think shock tactics should be a part of every new rider/driver's training.
 Think Bike and get off the phone!! - swiss tony
>> >> ESPECIALLY BIKERS WHO RIDE AT 85MPH ON ROADS THAT HAVE SIDE STREETS
>>
>> Like this guy (all of it, but particularly from 10m10sec onwards):
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZhrH92CJtY
>>
Idiot with a death wish.....
 Think Bike and get off the phone!! - swiss tony
>> Some photos of the vehicles in a multiple fatality. You have been warned.
>>
>> "This graphic demonstration was placed at the Motorcycle Fair by the Police and Road Safety
>> Department..
>> Pass this on to car drivers or soon to be new drivers, or new motorcycle
>> owners
>> AND ESPECIALLY EVERYONE YOU KNOW WHO HAS A MOBILE PHONE!!!!!
>>
>> www.rogatevillage.co.uk/index_files/Page396.htm

Thats strange..... when I 1st saw those pictures, in 2007, the story was the bike was doing 150mph.
''A picture is worth a thousand words.

The Honda rider was traveling at such a high speed, his reaction time was not sufficient enough to avoid this accident. Swedish Police estimate a speed of ~250 KM/h (155mph) before the bike hit the slow moving car side-on at an intersection. At that speed, they predicted that the rider's reaction time (once the vehicle came into view) wasn't sufficient enough for him to even apply the brakes. The car had two passengers and the bike rider was found INSIDE the car with them. The Volkswagen actually flipped over from the force of impact and landed 10 feet from where the collision took place.
All three involved (two in car and rider) were killed instantly. This graphic demonstration was placed at the Stockholm Motorcycle Fair by the Swedish Police and Road Safety Department. The sign above the display also noted that the rider had only recently obtained his license.

At 250 KM (155 mph) the operator is traveling at 227 feet per second. With normal reaction time to SEE-DECIDE-REACT of 1.6 seconds the above operator would have traveled over 363 feet while making a decision on what actions to take. In this incident the Swedish police indicate that no actions were taken. ''

Think Bike - L'escargot
My point is ......... there should be "Think Car" signs as well as "Think Bike".
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 28 Apr 11 at 10:13
 Think Bike - Mapmaker
And think pedestrian. I was nearly pushed under the wheels of the bus by a cyclist yesterday morning after he came out of a side road through a red light. Fortunately he was even more nearly pushed under said wheels - and best of all I managed to swear at him.
 Think Bike - R.P.
I was taught to ride as if you're an ambassador for the hobby, someone somewhere will say, "look how well that bike is ridden" - This hypothetical witness sits on my shoulder most of the time...horns do come out occasionally. Old saying "live to ride, ride to live"
 Think Bike - Londoner
>> I was taught to ride as if you're an ambassador for the hobby...

Pretty tough to do 100% of the time, but a terrific attitude that can be applied to many things in life.
 Think Bike - Ted

Me too, Puggers. I was also taught to ride very defensively by the police driving school.

This meant riding on the far right of the lane, well away from parked cars and junctions to the left. coming in towards the kerb if there's a car waiting to turn right across your bows, just in case he does. It's all about getting the maximum available time to react and having the maximum available road space to do it in. I still ride to the old police standards......you don't forget.

I have the odd hooligan moment but I make sure it's somewhere safe. The Northwich by-pass is good !

Rebel without a brain !

Ted
 Think Bike - R.P.
This meant riding on the far right of the lane, well away from parked cars and junctions to the left

I was pondering this yesterday whilst doing the "rounds" - I saw a motorcyclist doing his "Module 2" test, the examiner was following behind. The L plated bike's positioning was pretty good, if not spot on, the examiner on the couple of occasions I saw them was riding almost in the gutter.....not a good position from a number of reasons....must have been method in his apparent madness.
 Think Bike - L'escargot
>> This meant riding on the far right of the lane, .........

I find it annoying trying to overtake a motorcyclist that is on the far right of the lane. If someone wants to overtake me I go as far to the left of the lane as I can until they're past.
 Think Bike - L'escargot
>> >> This meant riding on the far right of the lane, .........
>>
>> I find it annoying trying to overtake a motorcyclist that is on the far right
>> of the lane. If someone wants to overtake me I go as far to the
>> left of the lane as I can until they're past.
>>

I should have said "I find it tedious ......... ". I try not to get annoyed at anything when I'm driving.
Latest Forum Posts