Motoring Discussion > Early Retired - fancy some part-time work ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dulwich Estate Replies: 16

Early Retired - fancy some part-time work ? - Dulwich Estate
For those with a few hours to spare this Summer:

www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C223710
 Early Retired - fancy some part-time work ? - RattleandSmoke
I remember when I was a kid those Bedfords were the defacto ice cream than, I think our local one was a 72 K reg.
 Early Retired - fancy some part-time work ? - Fullchat
Would I need a CRB check? :-)
 Early Retired - fancy some part-time work ? - rtj70
We get an ice cream van come around our way most days. And in our last house.

In temp accommodation (step son) we got one come around 4+ times per night. I suspect he was selling other things. But I did see him selling ice cream as well.
Not sure it it was from you, but I've heard that rumour several times. He has to sell ice cream otherwise the game would be instantly up.

Early Retired - fancy some part-time work ? - rtj70
I did mention him before and suspect he sells more than just 99s with a flake. But I know this and you do what are the police doing.

I also suspect his repeated returns are to deliver the ordered 'goods' as he won't be carrying anything apart from Mr Whippy and similar.
They do get caught trust me :). Some will escape through the net but I believe more get caught than don't. I can't say much more than though.

Early Retired - fancy some part-time work ? - Avant
Anyone else old enough to remember the days (1950s) when Walls' ice-cream vans were Trojans? I think they had twin-cylinder diesel engines: the noise wasn't as memorable as the famous Commer lorry of the same era, but you certainly knew they were coming and they hardly needed a chime.
 Early Retired - fancy some part-time work ? - AnotherJohnH
I wonder if Z would rise to it?

AFAIR Bannatyne (he of dragon fame) started his trip up the business ladder with an ice cream van or three.

On one occasion saw him wax lyrical about carpigiani machines as being the best money maker (selling the most air, probably) when some dragon fodder pretended it had a business plan with icecream (but didn't know the basics).
 Early Retired - fancy some part-time work ? - Zero
That van is missing the Carpigiani soft serve machine.

Edit, beaten to it by two minutes
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 28 Apr 11 at 09:03
 Early Retired - fancy some part-time work ? - Clk Sec
>> Anyone else old enough to remember the days (1950s) when Walls' ice-cream vans were Trojans?

Yes, I am. I can also remember giving them and their briquettes a miss and hoping that Mr Whippy would be around the next corner, as he frequently was from the late 50's.
They really miss a trick round my way. School throwing out time, and there is no strategically parked up ice cream van on these hot days.

Early Retired - fancy some part-time work ? - Iffy
...and there is no strategically parked up ice cream van on these hot days...

You could put a few choc ices in a cool box and park up outside school in the dog kennel.

"Hello little boy, would like to sit inside for a minute and have a lick of this?"

Sure to get you some local publicity.

yeah, right.

is that from the BBD book of chat-up lines?
 Early Retired - fancy some part-time work ? - helicopter
We have an ice cream company over the road from the office .

Very frustrating trying to talk to an Arab customer with the strains of 'Teddy Bears Picnic' chiming at full belt in the background......
 Early Retired - fancy some part-time work ? - AnotherJohnH
>> They really miss a trick round my way. School throwing out time, and there is
>> no strategically parked up ice cream van on these hot days.
>>
>>
>>

It's a bit outside my field, so to speak, but ISTR that locations and presumably times these things can ply their trade are council (or some similar source of red tape) regulated.

That's before you get into "turf wars" with competitors, assuming that kind of nastiness still happens.
Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Thu 28 Apr 11 at 10:50
 Early Retired - fancy some part-time work ? - Fenlander
>>>get into "turf wars" with competitors, assuming that kind of nastiness still happens.

Sure does... the guy that *runs* the vans in our area is a right thug.
Latest Forum Posts