Motoring Discussion > Would you buy a new TomTom now? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 12

Would you buy a new TomTom now? - zippy
tinyurl.com/42t7zff

Looks like they have been giving traffic data to the Dutch Rozzers!
 Would you buy a new TomTom now? - Londoner
I don't have a problem with anonymous statistical data being given to the police for the purpose of improving road safety.

I'm likely to switch to another brand from TomTom after years of using the company, however, due to being singularly unimpressed with the performance of my latest model.
 Would you buy a new TomTom now? - zippy
I think the point is, it probably isn't clear to many users that the device logs data.

Also, how long will it be before our Rozzers confiscate them when pulling you over for alleged speeding and use the contents of the device to help prove their case?
>> I think the point is, it probably isn't clear to many users that the device
>> logs data.
>>
Agreed.
>> Also, how long will it be before our Rozzers confiscate them when pulling you over
>> for alleged speeding and use the contents of the device to help prove their case?
>>
Ah! But you are being too pessimistic. What you should be asking is: How long before a clever lawyer uses the contents of the device to get their client OFF a charge of speeding.
 Would you buy a new TomTom now? - lancara
"How long before a clever lawyer uses the contents of the device to get their client OFF a charge of speeding."

Given the information on most devices is very easily alterable with a spreadsheet program, I think they would struggle.
 Would you buy a new TomTom now? - Skoda
>> Also, how long will it be before our Rozzers confiscate them

Not sure of the legalities but maybe that'd go against your right not to self incriminate (not sure the exact wording in law but i'm sure there's something of that sentiment in there - right to remain silent?)

I wouldn't worry about your TomTom, your car is a bigger grass. Many cars are fitted with "black boxes", and have been for some time. I understand the police have no access to these currently and that they're closely guarded by at least Toyota and Volkswagen.
 Would you buy a new TomTom now? - Iffy
...your car is a bigger grass. Many cars are fitted with "black boxes", and have been for some time...

Good point.

Surprising what info can be uncovered if you are involved in something serious such as a fatal accident.

Would you buy a new TomTom now? - Perky Penguin
SFAIK all one's ANPR records are kept for a long time and any given number plate can have its travel plucked from the depths of the computer. Your foreign travel is logged if you fly or take your car thru the tunnel plus your passport use in and out of UK. I am sure you can be tracked by the use of credit and debit cards; TomTom get traffic info by tracking some Vodaphone mobiles, your mobile tells your operator where it is so I think what a sat nav knows and tells is small beer in the big picture of life and travel
 Would you buy a new TomTom now? - Perky Penguin
May we know which model you are not liking? I have a 720 GO which must be 4 years old and it still does me very well!
 Would you buy a new TomTom now? - Zero
I have a 720 as well. Done me proud, a great product
 Would you buy a new TomTom now? - MrTee43
I have a Go 730 which I use in the car and on my bike as I can use its bluetooth stereo A2DP output to listen to instructions and its mp3 player in my helmet

It also has an FM transmitter which works quite well in conjunction with the car audio. I bought it as a reconditioned item from TomTom for about £140.

Considering that it works really well in both car and bike, a Garmin Zumo 660 looks very expensive.
 Would you buy a new TomTom now? - R.P.
I have a factory fit Zumo 660 on the RT - works well enough but overpriced.
>> May we know which model you are not liking?
>> I have a 720 GO which must be 4 years old and it still does me very well!
I have a Tom Tom 910 GO. The two previous Tom Toms that I had were good, but this one is a huge leap backwards. It seems more concerned with extra fripperies like showing pictures, and playing MP3 files, than its core navigation function.

Some of its foibles.
- It picks some very strange routes to places that I know sometimes (i.e down country lanes that are both slower and more tiresome to drive on, and most definitely neither the fastest or cheapest rout!).
- It fails to warn me about some junctions - I suddenly find that the road that the Tom Tom thinks is a main road is in fact a side road. Potentially dangerous.
- The maps are extremely out of date.
- The only way to get computer announcement of street names is to pick the annoying default voice. The ladies voice on the previous Tom Tom was much better.

Also, is it just me, or is Tom Tom's marketing of its products quite aggressive?
Latest Forum Posts