Motoring Discussion > Audi A5 Sportback - Goodbye BMW, Hello Audi.
Thread Author: Londoner Replies: 28

Audi A5 Sportback - Goodbye BMW, Hello Audi. - Londoner
First impressions, after a week-and-a-bit (and 700 miles) of Audi ownership. (And apologies in advance for rambling on.)

As some of you will know, I was running a BMW 320d Touring which I didn't like very much. I bought it new 4.5 years ago, and had done 77,500 miles. I planned to keep it and get my wear out of it. Unfortunately the turbo failed (a common fault), and there were other repairs and maintenance needed in the next 12-18 month. After a discount of thousands for"goodwill", this still left me facing being at least 7k (!!!!) out of pocket.

I had had enough of the wretched thing, and management authorised funds for a replacement. I won't go into details of the car hunt. Suffice to say that I worked out a deal on a new unregistered car with the local Audi dealer. It's a 2 litre diesel A5 Sportback in black, with automatic transmission (the dreaded "multichronic"), and a few other nice goodies.

The change has been dramatic. I actually like driving again for the first time in years, and have instantly "bonded" with the car.

The tradition on Car4Play is that members give a write up of their new cars, so I'll give it a go. I'm going to try and be a bit different, though. I'm following the categories that "What Car?" use in their reports, and comparing it to its closest rival BMW (a 320d Coupe) at the same time. (I think that the Audi is better looking - but that's a matter of taste) :-)

I welcome all constructive feedback and questions.

*** Performance (Audi 3 stars, BMW 5 stars)
More than adequate for me, I take it very steady. The BMW is clearly superior in this department, however.
The auto box is super-smooth, even straight out of the box. I just leave it in Drive. I've not even had a play with the flappy-paddles yet!

*** Ride & Handling (Audi 4, BMW 4)
The handling is tidy enough and the Audi flows satisfyingly though bends, but the BMW is noticeably sharper. I've not noticed any of the tramlining on the Audi that is much remarked on by BMW owners.

The ride in the Audi is far more comfortable. I've done a fair bit of mileage already in town, on country lanes and on motorways, and it has the BMW beat there. You still notice the imperfections in the road, but the suspension is more supple and giving.

*** Refinement (Audi 5, BMW 4)
The Audi is quieter, and smoother. The engine is very quiet. The BM sounds more "dieselly".
The quieter environment shows off the media player to great advantage as well.

*** Buying & Owning (Audi 4, BMW 3)
The Audi was comfortably cheaper to buy than a comparable BMW Coupe, and cheaper to service & insure. The BMW's fuel economy is better on paper, but the MPG that I have been getting so far is nearly as good as my last car - and this will only improve as the engine loosens up. The Audi holds its value better as well - however I don't intend to sell it after three years! When I buy new I try to keep the car for a long time.

*** Quality & Reliability (Audi 4, BMW 2)
I'll have to see how the new car gets on, but the BMW had far too many faults in its life for my liking. The final straw was when it became an economic write-off at 77.5k miles!

*** Safety & Security (Audi 4, BMW 4)
Both Audi & BMW have the full alphabet soup of safety acronyms (ABS, ESP, etc). I do feel happier in FWD than RWD, though. I had some scary moments in the BM that I've never encountered in FWD cars. I want to give Audi higher marks here, but I appreciate that some people prefer RWD, so I'll diplomatically call it a tie.

*** Behind The Wheel (Audi 5, BMW 3)
Audi cabins are generally well regarded, and now I can see why. They feel far more upmarket than the minimalist BMW style. The controls are easy to use and feel like they'll last for ever. I love the white illumination of the dials, instead of BMW Orange!

The seat adjustment is very simple on the Audi, even with the basic manual controls supplied. The BMW seat controls are very fiddly - if you've ever tried to get comfy in one that doesn't have electric seats you'll know what I mean. Last, but no means least, I have *real* indicator stalks again. I hated the self-centering BMW ones - they were an absolute pig to cancel.

*** Space & Practicality (Audi 5, BMW 3)
Both cars are perfectly OK for carrying adults in the rear seats, but the Audi has a bigger boot AND a hatchback, plus two extra doors for the rear passengers. Audi superior - no discussion.

*** Equipment (Audi 4, BMW 3)
BMW's are better equipped than they used to be, but the Audi is better. The standard radio/media is superb, for example, and you get a spare wheel (albeit a space-saver) instead of those pesky run flat tyres! The storage space in the cabin is much better as well, and multiple 12v charging points are provided for phones, cool-boxes etc. The Audi also allows you to make changes to the car's set up for such things as the parking sensor operation, "coming home" lights, Traffic Reports setting, and even a valet parking mode!

*** Verdict
If you value performance over all other factors, of course you will go for the BMW, and I wouldn't blame you. However I value the Audi as a great all rounder. If we leave aside "Quality & Reliability" (because maybe I was just unlucky with my beemer), then Audi still wins five categories, and only loses in one.

I am happy with my car at last and the peace of mind is priceless.
 Audi A5 Sportback - Goodbye BMW, Hello Audi. - Skoda
You've been kinder to the BMW than i thought you'd be :-) Ahhh there's no joy in not getting on with your daily driver.

I thought it was an A4 you were getting, even had some jibes prepared. Never realised it was the A5, very nice!

There's no envy on this side of t'internet. Honestly none at all :-)
 Audi A5 Sportback - Goodbye BMW, Hello Audi. - DP
Sounds good, Londoner. Really do like the A5. A colleague has one which has done 80,000 largely problem free miles and he loves it. Great looking car, too.

As to whether you were unlucky with the BMW, let's just say yours is not the first tale of woe I've heard from a 320d owner. My brother in law's was throwing expensive tantrums at 3 years old and less than 40,000 miles. And I know of several others. Such a shame, as mechanical integrity was always pretty much guaranteed from a well maintained BMW, regardless of how hard it was driven.
 Audi A5 Sportback - Goodbye BMW, Hello Audi. - rtj70
Nice car Londoner. I'd have liked one but I'd have got a bottom of the range one and had to pay up quite a bit to get it. How do you find the pedals? Some report they are offset a bit in the RHD cars.

I think Midlifecrisis has one of these too... but you probably know that:

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=1733&m=32257&v=e

So it's taken nearly a year for you to get over the envy and buy one ;-)
 Audi A5 Sportback - Goodbye BMW, Hello Audi. - Zero
Its good to be able to report Car v Car. It makes valid comparisons.
 Audi A5 Sportback - Goodbye BMW, Hello Audi. - John H
>> Its good to be able to report Car v Car.
agreed

>> It makes valid comparisons.
but not if you compare like with unlike - i.e. a brand new car vs a 5 year old car.

Given the build quality and longevity of cars, I think its a valid comparison. One is however going to be swayed by a 4.5 year old car going terminally bang!
 Audi A5 Sportback - Goodbye BMW, Hello Audi. - John H
Having re-read the post, I am not sure if the OP is in fact comparing the Audi with a 2011 BMW coupe. It may well be the case, in which case I withdraw my earlier comments.

Many thanks for all your replies. Just to clear up a few points:
- The pedals.
I don't notice anything unusual about them on my car, but it is an automatic. I've read reviews that complain that the pedals are offset to the right on cars with manual gearboxes, however.
- BMW Comparison.
I was comparing the A5 against a (post-facelift) courtesy 320d SE Coupe that I had whilst my car was being repaired last autumn. Nice car. If I had been staying with BMW that would have been the one that I'd have gone for.
 Audi A5 Sportback - Goodbye BMW, Hello Audi. - midlifecrisis
Had my own A5 for over a year now. Not put a foot wrong. Huge boot, excellent mile muncher and all-round great family car. Mine is the 2.0d and I get 45mpg around town and 54mpgish on runs. Best I've achieved is a 200 mile trip in the early hours when I got 59mpg (all on the trip computer). For such a big car, it gets better mpg than a Pious.

Mine was an ex-demo and has £8000 worth of extras (I was sad enought to go online and look all the codes up and price them). Best is the leather sports seats. I use both the sd card slot and the AMI in the glovebox for a usb/Ipod. It lets me put just about every album I've got on the system.

Costs so far (other than fuel). £110 for a years tax and I'll need two front tyres in another 1000 miles or so (16000m total). Quite expensive at £180 each-ish for a premium brand. Haven't regretted buying it one iota and intend to keep it for a long time.
Yeah, but don't you miss the gorgeous looking Pug, just a little bit?
 Audi A5 Sportback - Goodbye BMW, Hello Audi. - Avant
What a truly excellent report - this is the sort of thing that motoring forums do best. Many thanks Londoner: you've been very fair, giving credit to the BMW for what it does best.

What magazine road testers - mostly young males in their 20s or 30s - never understand in that there are a lot of us who need a car with more of the all-round attributes where your A5 clearly has the BMW beaten. If you have to live with a car every day, and don't spend your time testing the car to its limits on B-roads, a car like an A5, or indeed my Octavia vRS, will give you more satisfaction 90 % of the time.

PS Agreed, Zero - the 406 coupe did look gorgeous - but would you say the same about its successor the 407?
Last edited by: Avant on Sat 7 May 11 at 11:29
 Audi A5 Sportback - Goodbye BMW, Hello Audi. - DP
>> but would you say
>> the same about its successor the 407?

That car, and it's saloon counterpart come to think of it, could have been a real looker, were it not for that ludicrous front overhang. What were they thinking? We have a fleet of 407 saloons at work, and they always look to me like someone has hit something immovable with the front wheels and shoved them a foot rearwards in the chassis.

I would go so far as to suggest that the 406 Coupe is one of the prettiest mass produced cars of all time. A masterpiece of clean, elegant, fuss free design.
 Audi A5 Sportback - Goodbye BMW, Hello Audi. - Boxsterboy
>> *** Space & Practicality (Audi 5, BMW 3)
>> Both cars are perfectly OK for carrying adults in the rear seats, but the Audi
>> has a bigger boot AND a hatchback, plus two extra doors for the rear passengers.
>> Audi superior - no discussion.
>>

Eh? I thought you said you had a 3 Touring. Doesn't that have a hatchback and 4 doors?

Wife tried an A5 Cabriolet as a replacement for her CLK Cabrio, but couldn't get on with the terribly offset foot peddles (on the manual) and the high waist line which restricted visibility.

Glad you like yours, though, even with the CVT box.
I have a manual and in over twelve months have never had an issue with the pedals. It's not something I ever notice.

As for the 407 coupe. Yes, I still do miss it. Three years and not a single issue. Saw one in a carpark the other day that was exactly the same as mine and had a nostalgic thought or two. A very distinctive car and great to drive and own. If I hadn't had two growing kids, I'd have probably kept it.

The Audi is a replacement I'm very happy with.
 Audi A5 Sportback - Goodbye BMW, Hello Audi. - Runfer D'Hills
MLC - You mention the boot being large. Is it a hatchback arrangement and do the rear seats fold?
Do I detect a sniff of future buying patterns here?
Only a very slight whiffette. More or less negligible really.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sat 7 May 11 at 14:45
I understand. They are good looking those A5's are they not.
They are indeed. I'd be kidding myself though. An A6 Avant mind...
Humph. Big hatch and folding seats. I got half the contents of my attic in mine for a tip run. Also big enough for three of us to go camping for a long weekend (and I don't do camping unless accompanied by proper foldy beds, duvets, pillows and 'proper' chairs!)

If nothing else, it's just a 'nice' place to be. The 18" alloys fitted to mine are probably as big as I want to go and the SE suspension is a great compromise between handling and comfort. I have been in a friends S-Line with 20" wheels and that was acceptable, but not nearly as refined as mine. My car, being an ex-demo is silver. Given the choice it would have been in Misano red. Looks great in that colour. Still, it's not exactly a munter in silver.

A few gratuitous shots:

i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv171/midlifequietlife/23042010066.jpg

i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv171/midlifequietlife/audi.jpg

i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv171/midlifequietlife/23042010070.jpg
 Audi A5 Sportback - Goodbye BMW, Hello Audi. - Bagpuss
I think the A5 could be the Audi to change my mind about Audis - I love the styling. I'll maybe try one and see if they've got the ride/ handling sorted out which always one of my biggest gripes about Audis.

I notice from the extensive options list that the A5 can be ordered with the indicator and wiper stalks swapped around like on older RHD Japanese cars. Anyone in the UK gone for this option?
Hmm - They do seem nice. The only Audi I had any sort of long term experience of was an A4 Avant 2.5 diesel manual which I had as a loaner from a very generous friend while he was out of the country. It was at the time I had my Espace and it must have been during one of its periods of being unusable, so that could in fact have been more or less any time in the years of 2002/3.

That Audi was a very pleasing thing and would have been newish at the time, probably a 2001 model. Only criticism I had of it was how heavy the nose felt in the bends. I suppose there was quite a big six cylinder lump there which may have contributed to that but it always seemed to want to understeer very early for a car with mildly sporting pretensions.

In fairness it was a whole heap better than my Espace which was in fact just a whole heap really.

The A5 is very attractive I must say.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sat 7 May 11 at 17:49
Don't know if this will work, but I've posted a couple of pictures of my chariot to Photobucket.

s790.photobucket.com/albums/yy190/aott97/

Nice Londoner ( so's MLCs too )

Saw one in red the other day. Very swoopy. Ah well, back to reality...

:-)
One of the few cars that looks nice in white too.
Agreed, but one would always feel obliged if driving a white one, to have a pair of expensive sunglasses perched on top of one's head and an elbow casually draped out of the open window while playing something by U2 a little too loudly on the stereo.

Well I would anyway...
Your A5 looks very classy in silver, MLC, and it goes well with the black leather interior. I wouldn't worry too much about it not being Misano Red!
 Audi A5 Sportback - Goodbye BMW, Hello Audi. - IJWS14

>> Wife tried an A5 Cabriolet as a replacement for her CLK Cabrio, but couldn't get
>> on with the terribly offset foot peddles (on the manual) and the high waist line
>> which restricted visibility.

It is not the waist rail that is high, the whole car is low.

Son has a 2.0 170hp S-line Quatro with a few extras for six months (company car), apart from the lack of cruise control he loves it. Was up last week and it stands about 6" lower than my Octavia, lift the bonnet and look where the top of the struts are for an explanation!

Did about 300 miles in the back seat and it is very comfortable and I am 6' 2". Not sure what he is getting to the gallon yet but the trip computer is showing around 55mpg. Won't be run in when he gets the replacement.

What amuses him is the looks he gets in the supermarket car park when he gets out of it, he is 25 and looks 16!
Latest Forum Posts