Motoring Discussion > First bike run. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 26

First bike run. - Ted
Went out on the Silverwing for the first run of the year today. Applied a bit of Mr Sheen yesterday, put some air in the back tyre and petrol in the tank in anticipation.
It was for the Wirral Egg Run, did anyone else here go ?
Enjoyed my day out but not the Egg Run itself. Again, too many bikes, about 10,000, someone local said. Dragged feet along the tarmac for most of the run, arms aching trying to balance at 1 mph and serious bumache due to not being able to get legs up on the pegs.

Didn't go the whole way, had enough, so kept on the A41 into Chester and then the A56 to Frodsham, avoiding the Motorway. Came across country from there , through the Forest of Delamere, stopping at the Railway station for a sandwich and a filter coffee, enjoyed outside in the Sun with walkers, trippers and other bikers.

Fuelled up at Sandiway then home via the Northwich by-pass and the M56. Kept to the speed limits but gave her a taste of the whip away from traffic lights, etc. Certainly seems to have freed her up after winter's lack of use.

Next run is on the 11th to Prees Heath for the Big Breakfast Meet.....then on to the Ponderosa.....more to my liking.

How was your first day of British Summer time ?

Ted

Edit Why doesn't the swear filter like F r o d sham ??
Last edited by: Pugugly on Sun 28 Mar 10 at 17:44
 First bike run. - R.P.
I've changed it now - its down to a deliberate misspelling of Ford to make it sound like a criminal Offence....quirk of the swear filter.
 First bike run. - R.P.
Confused by the missing hour - tired when I got up with the dogs at 8 or was it 9 ? Didn't take the bike out today but saw a few on my afternoon walk. Went out to a friend's house yesterday (just over fifty miles) twisites there and dual cabbageway back - then a 22 mile run on the CB650 before dropping it off at its new owner's house - looked longingly at the bike when I took the mower out of the garage...Apart from January been out at least once a month since last November...despite the weather, now that will change soon ! :-)
 First bike run. - Runfer D'Hills
We had our first reasonably serious mountain bike outing of the season last Sunday coincidentally at Delamere Ted. We were going today but decided to watch the F1 instead. Total excercise factor was lifting mugs of tea.........
 First bike run. - Ted

Fave place of mine, Humpers. First outing away from Mummy's apron strings was to cycle to Delamere with me best mate. About 50 yrs ago.
Stayed a night in the Youth Hostel which used to be there and then came home. I remember one of us had a puncture at Lostock Gralem, No by-pass then. Elderley couple told us to come in their garden and fix it, off the road. Brought us tea and scones out, what chances now ?
Used to love the Forest cafe at Hatchmere. Old, traditional cyclist/walker type place now swept away on the altar of more building block, brick clad flats !

Biker pal and his Dragon coming for dinner tonight so will be lifting a few bottles of Old Grumoy Ted's finest bitter and exchanging thoughts of the day!

Ted
 First bike run. - biker bones
pugugly , first bike i had when i passed my test was a cb650 , totally original , lovely looking bike .
 First bike run. - R.P.
This was pretty original as well apart from a 4 into 1 exhaust which improved the sound of the original which was a tad clattery and raspy (I owned an x plater as my first big bike)
yeah im pretty sure mine was a v reg , didnt suzuki do an almost identical bike as a gs650 ?
 First bike run. - R.P.
Yes a better bike - the CB was a uncharacteristic "not so good bike" from Honda - mind you I enjoyed mine - I was stopped by Lancs Police at a three figure speed on the M6.....they were very nice about it.
i must admit hondas always been my favourite , since i was 16 its been honda mbx 50 , 125 , then the cb 650 , then a lapse to suzuki a old gsx550ef , then a 600 bandit ( first brand new bike p reg ) part exed after 18 months for r reg titanium coloured blackbird which i still have and dont think i will ever get rid of .
 First bike run. - R.P.
I have had a CB100 (first bike) then a 250N, the CB650, a Z250, z750GT, CBR1000, CB125, another CB650 Nighthawk (the one I sold) BMW R1200GS, VFR800, BMW1200RT - so basically I am probably a Honda man - this last one had the characteristic Honda gear change they all had and the geary sound they all do.....
my first love is the cb but you had the next, the kwacka z , memories of polishing my dads z1000st , would hate to think how many tubes of autosol i got thru lol
 First bike run. - R.P.
That's why I bought the 650 to polish it ! Some bedtime reading the other night was a test on the CB650N - somewhat attractive......no no no don't need three bikes.
 First bike run. - R.P.
Read a test on Honda CBF600N - had a ride of one last year.....no, no, no.
 First bike run. - bathtub tom
Mr U will be in your dreams. ;>)
 First bike run. - ....
>> 600 bandit ( first brand new bike p reg ) part exed after
>> 18 months for r reg titanium coloured blackbird which i still have and dont think
>> i will ever get rid of .
>>
Bikes from around that era will last for ever if properly maintained.
The first bike I rode after my direct access was my wifes CBR600FV which we still have. Nice introduction to fast bikes without being mental. I then bought a ZX636R which I really enjoyed but we didn't need two bikes and SWMBO's 7 year old Honda looked like it would last better than my two year old Kwaka.

Now BMW have branched out from two wheeled tractors and made the R1000SS I'm torn. Suzi 750 or Beemer ???
 First bike run. - R.P.
gmac, the new twins are huge leap forward especially the gear-change !
 First bike run. - ....
Just kidding.

That new BMW is seriously impressive.
If the finish is good then I would pay the extra.
Last summer a group of us went to the 'Ring, then down to France. The most impressive bike of the bunch (VTR SP2, couple of Fireblades, couple of CBR600's (one carb, one Fi) and an R1) was the R1. The fuel consumption of that thing was unbelievable for a litre bike. On one run, the SP2 was looking for a fuel station at 100 miles, the R1 used under 7.5 litres.

I would love a twin, but in my real world I couldn't live with the constant hunt for fuel.
 First bike run. - R.P.
Both Beemers returning upper fifties - 250m is a realistic range in the RT (it seems).
 First bike run. - ....
They don't have 17 litre tanks do they ?
 First bike run. - R.P.
20 litres on the GS and nearly 30 litres on the RT
 First bike run. - ....
>> nearly 30 litres on the RT
>>
Crikey ! You would not want to pick that up with a full tank.
 First bike run. - hawkeye
I've been using the V-Strom for pootling about since Feb. I sometimes get a call to cover swim teaching in Ripon which means a docile amble down the A1 at 50 then I gas it a bit along the long sweepers into Ripon. Good sight lines and plenty of space to pass the mimsers.
I religiously try and get back to Richmond without using the A1 or a map at the end of the session; sometimes takes an hour to cover the 20 odd miles. More to do with haphazard navigation than slow pace. That's my story anyway.
 First bike run. - AlastiarM
There's nothing quite like taking the scenic route whilst out on the bike. Used to do it in the car but not any more.
Did nearly 12 miles on a 1.5 mile trip to our local pub quiz night last evening!
 First bike run. - R.P.
Re-read this. I hung on to my 2011 GS for a couple of months after buying the Tiger in May....used it for the odd run upon which it still provided much pleasure as I sampled a tiny piece of this bike's amazing road-going capability, 10 times better in almost every way than the Tiger in everything from fuel range to handling and comfort and in particular ride quality. It was time for it to go though. £7k's worth of bike generally unused was a waste so I e-bayed it two weeks ago and now it's gone to its new owner....garage is now very empty....R80GS whose future is under consideration, the StreetTriple and the Tiger...still....
Last edited by: R.P. on Sun 21 Aug 16 at 12:31
 First bike run. - Runfer D'Hills
You are going to buy another one. No question. The Triumph's days are numbered. Matter of time. You know it, we know it.

;-)
 First bike run. - VxFan
cdn.meme.am/instances/43920861.jpg
Latest Forum Posts