Motoring Discussion > Mitsubishi Outlander II - DPF Regeneration Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 32

Mitsubishi Outlander II - DPF Regeneration - Manatee
Bit of a follow up on the new Outlander.

On about 1200 miles now, and until this morning I hadn't been aware of any 'regenerating'.

My commute is 17 miles, rural but for 3 miles or so. The mpg info resets itself after 4 hours switched off, so I get a discrete average for each journey to work, and each one home. I can scrape a claimed 50mpg or a bit more with a light foot.

This morning all was usual until it had warmed up, maybe 4 miles in to the journey. Then the mpg seemed to be going down. No consumption on the overrun, as usual, but the slightest touch of accelerator pushed the instantaneous mpg down to 30 or less, even on the level - more like 10-15 up a gentle incline. I arrived at work on 38mpg indicated.

Not very scientific but I estimate I used an extra half litre of fuel on a 17 mile trip, assuming 10% exaggeration of the mpg. Any doubts that I had just observed a regen were erased when I got out of the car. Very 'hot' smell, and the tailpipe far too hot to touch.

Journey home was normal - 48mpg shown despite a hillier route. So it seems to have succeeded.

I'm slightly frustrated that it doesn't indicate what it's doing. I'd be interested to know how often it does this, aside from anything else, and how different fuels affect that if at all.

Does anybody know? Once every 500 miles or so would mean it adds c. 1% to the fuel consumption, and uses an extra 10 litres of fuel between services. I hope not too much of that ends up in the sump!

It doesn't have the ring of an elegant solution, does it? No wonder manufacturers are a bit vague about how their DPFs work.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - DPF Regeneration - Zero
Well at least you know the fuel got burned if the pipe was hot. I would check the dipstick.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - DPF Regeneration - Runfer D'Hills
My Nissan has done 70k miles now and has a DPF. I suppose it must do what it does but I've never noticed it doing it. Something ( special oil maybe ? ) had to be changed at one of the services I was told. Must be about due for that again I think.
Your Renault engine you mean?
It's not is it?

:-(((((
If its the diesel, oh yes.

You never knew?
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 9 May 11 at 22:13
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - DPF Regeneration - -
>> Your Renault engine you mean?
>>

Same design as the Espace is it? ;)
I feel sick.....
>> >> Your Renault engine you mean?
>> >>
>>
>> Same design as the Espace is it? ;)

If he had the Dci, yes its the same engine. Small world init.
"Damian" had the 2.2 diesel engine.
and the tank is?
2.0 diesel
Then its not the same unit, still a Renault tho.
Where's me little plastic fag?

:-(
>> If he had the Dci, yes its the same engine. Small world init.
>>

Strange sounds like some demented alien in pain emanating from Cheshire.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - DPF Regeneration - Dave_
>> Something ( special oil maybe ? ) had to be changed at one of the services

Eolys fluid needed replenishing. The Focus 1.6TDCi we looked at needed a topup (c.£70) every 37.5k miles and the DPF replacing (c.£1000) every 75k...

70k already Humph, I'm surprised you get the time to post here!
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Mon 9 May 11 at 22:16
That's the stuff I think. £1000? Crickey... Good job it's a company car.

Edit - Yeah, me too. Been to London and back today as it happens. 370 miles or so. Scary O'clock start.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Mon 9 May 11 at 22:20
>>The Focus 1.6TDCi we looked at needed a topup (c.£70) every 37.5k miles and the DPF replacing (c.£1000) every 75k...

Good grief... no Eolys in this one. I hope I'm not going to cop for a £1000 DPF? I'd better look at the service schedule again.

GB, I think the computer is flattering the car. Time will tell, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's overstating by 10%. The brim-to-brims have been 40-41 so far, though that includes some local pottering and no little time pulled over with the engine running trying to fathom the 'music server', bluetooth connection (now mastered), voice controlled hands free (now trained).

If I can get a consistent 45 when it settles down I'll be very happy. 42 might be more realistic. I've yet to find out what it will do at 70 on a motorway (the CRV did 40).
I've yet to find out what it will do at
>> 70 on a motorway (the CRV did 40).
>>

70 does seem to be the cut off point unless the car is very sleek.

Kept to 70 or below with a few trips as well as local the C2 will do over 60 mpg, run it at 80 or more and that drops very sharply, with mid to late 40's, must be that dumpy shape.

Be interesting to see your brim to brims in due course.
>> Good grief... no Eolys in this one. I hope I'm not going to cop for a £1000 DPF?

I can't see how DPF-equipped cars are going to keep going in a few years when they reach banger territory. Worn-out DPF = engine light on = limp-home mode = MoT failure. There are quite a few high mileage 06-07 Focuses turning up for sale now without history, which makes them a bit of a gamble to say the least.

The Mondeo 2.0 luckily achieves Euro IV compliance without resorting to DPF technology. I couldn't give a stuff what comes out of the exhaust but I do care about not having a bill for a grand with no warning.

There's an opportunity for chip tuning companies to offer DPF removal there, after all the main purpose of the thing is to cut BIK tax ratings - it doesn't greatly improve emissions at the tailpipe in the short term.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Mon 9 May 11 at 22:40
>> There's an opportunity for chip tuning companies to offer DPF removal there,

Some do already, but if you recall we had discussions about forthcoming changes to the MOT where testers would be actively looking for illicit remaps and associated tinkering via proper emissions testing...though that seems to have quiet since.

Wouldn't be a sensible question to ask a converter either, bit like expecting a politician to spill the beans.

If you are a handy sort of DIYer it's apparently possible to remove the DPF and reverse steam clean it for a considerable time to remove the clag, a dealer wouldn't get involved in that possibly due to elfinsafety, but a more realistic indy might.
>> testers would be actively looking for illicit remaps and associated tinkering via proper emissions testing

Only way to tell is to try it and see I suppose - I think the modifiers claim there is no difference in MoT-testable emissions at the tailpipe with the DPF removed.

>> apparently possible to remove the DPF and reverse steam clean it for a considerable time to remove the clag

A very considerable time, if the conventional way to clear it is to heat it up to >400°C! I can see myself trying that at some point in the future though... Could be tricky to avoid destroying whatever kind of mesh or filtration material is inside it with the force of the washer.

I wonder what would happen if you took it off and poured truckwash down it? :)

EDIT: Thinking about it, there's not much to be lost by attempting a DIY Karcher purge - if you do knacker it you'll only be buying a new one anyway.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Mon 9 May 11 at 23:16
Isnt the contents of a clugged up DPF carcinogenic?
Probably, but I'm not going to eat it. Used engine oil is too, and truckwash stings a bit when you splash it in your eyes...
>> Probably, but I'm not going to eat it. Used engine oil is too, and truckwash
>> stings a bit when you splash it in your eyes...

I know, but I kinda figured moreso, being all the nasty stuff gathered in one place like.
Your fuel consumption is very good overall, well driven, thats quite a lump of car to get 50 mpg with.

With all the clever stuff that's going on, why didn't they program the onboard computer with an info menu so 'switched on' owners could view the state of regen during a trip...'puter says another 10 miles or equivalent till regen complete for example would be handy to know, and give those with nous some chance of not having failed regens....carry on till next junction and give it some welly sort of thing.

Those who haven't a clue, probably 75% of motorists needn't press the 'info' button if or when the management light comes on, a win win option imo.

Another reason for keeping the dipstick.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - DPF Regeneration - Perky Penguin
Interesting! I have a 307 which has a DPF and uses the noxious EOLYS. The only way I knew that regeneration had occurred was that, if I happened to stop the engine while one was in progress the engine cooling fan ran on for some minutes.

As you have seen there is a large temp rise involved. One would have thought that a sensor could be fitted to detect this rise and illuminate a "Regen in Progress" light on the dash.

Slight duplication of the content of the previous post By GB, caused by me taking so long to write this!
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Mon 9 May 11 at 22:20
>>As you have seen there is a large temp rise involved.

There sure is. So much I feared for the towbar wiring that passes quite near the back box. Seemed to be OK though.
Saw an Outlander today Manatee. Rather smart I thought. Looks roomy too.
>> Saw an Outlander today Manatee. Rather smart I thought. Looks roomy too.
>>

The new one with the great maw of a grille? I thought I must have the only one - I haven't seen another except at the dealer's since I got it nearly a month ago.

It is roomy. Especially considering the big boot. I wouldn't call it pretty, but it isn't as plug ugly as the Peugeot 4007 version. The C-Crosser was at the front of the queue when then handed the noses out.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - DPF Regeneration - Bigtee
The early DPF used to shake the cat and loose the carbon and blow it out the back similar system as used on industrial machines and noiser so better to use a little fuel and not be heard but i agree a warning light just to let you know it's working would be nice. :-)
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - DPF Regeneration - Iffy
The CC3 has the 2.0 diesel engine, so no fluid, but it does have a DPF.

I've never noticed a regeneration, which is how it should be in a properly engineered car.

Mitsubishi Outlander II - DPF Regeneration - mikeyb
Notice the regen in the C5 slightly - instant fuel consumption drops. Down hill on the overun it will normally read 999, but when regen is in progress wil not go above 256. Also the cooling fan is usually running when I pull up at home if its been "doing its thing"

Guess it happens about one every 1000 or so miles, but only lasts for a few minutes. Has the fluid stuff, but will be back with the lease co before that needs replacing hopefully
Latest Forum Posts