Motoring Discussion > Running red lights... Legal Questions
Thread Author: Fursty Ferret Replies: 17

Running red lights... - Fursty Ferret
Is now being taken to a new extreme in South Manchester, where the new trick is to rock up at the red light, check for police cars and oncoming traffic, and then proceed through on red to either go straight on or make a right turn.

Surprised, because in 8 years of driving I've never seen anyone blatantly run a red light and then saw it twice in one day. To be fair, it was Rusholme and the drivers were Asian.

Mods - If previous comment is likely to see me booted off for racism, please feel free to exercise your edit button.
 Running red lights... - Armel Coussine
Mentioning the ethnic or cultural origin of someone isn't racist. It may just be relevant information.

Drawing implicit or explicit general moral conclusions from that, by reference to a (usually disparaging) stereotype-image, is racist.

It's perfectly possible that these Asians have just arrived from a more sensible country where a left-filter on red, at the driver's discretion, is legal. The right-filter version is legal in parts of the US. Can't understand why it isn't here. Perhaps we British are just too thick to cope with options of that sort without getting into stupid lying squabbles all the time.
 Running red lights... - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> It's perfectly possible that these Asians have just arrived from a more sensible country where a left-filter on red, at the driver's discretion, is legal.
>>
But much more likely that they are just ignorant chavs who think the law doesn't apply to them.
 Running red lights... - Fursty Ferret
Can't imagine a situation where a right turn on a red light could plausibly be described as filtering.

Having said that, I came very, VERY close to doing a left-turn on a red light the first day back from six months in the USA so your point does have merit.
 Running red lights... - John H
>> Surprised, because in 8 years of driving I've never seen anyone blatantly run a red
>> light and then saw it twice in one day. To be fair, it was Rusholme
>> and the drivers were Asian.
>>

So after 8 years you see something happen twice in one day, and you add "To be fair, it was Rusholme and the drivers were Asian". 100% accurate reporting, except it is not clear what you mean to imply by "to be fair"..

>> Mods - If previous comment is likely to see me booted off for racism, please
>> feel free to exercise your edit button.
>>

It is racism if that is what you intended. Look up the definition of racism.
 Running red lights... - nyx2k
give the racism card a rest now. pathetic just looking for an argument.

Running red lights... - John H
>> give the racism card a rest now. pathetic just looking for an argument.
>>

Is that aimed at the OP or at me?

He raised the subject, not me, 8< snip. Please act in a respectful and courteous manner, not throw personal insults at people.

Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 12 May 11 at 18:26
 Running red lights... - WillDeBeest
In the west London suburb where I work, casual traffic violations are frequent and invariably committed by Asian- or African-looking drivers. In the affluent market town where I live, there are plenty of similar incidents but equally invariably the perpetrators are white and well heeled. Does this tell us anything (a) about these ethnic groups' driving ability (b) about their respect for the law and their fellow road users, or (c) about where they live?
 Running red lights... - Iffy
...please act in a respectful and courteous manner, not throw personal insults at people...

That should apply to EVERYBODY on here.

Running red lights... - RattleandSmoke
I know exactly what the OP meant.

Saw it last week, a car went through red in Fallowfield (junction of Yew Tree Road and Wilbraham Road) I looked on as disbelief, the next thing is this Focus Panda car did a u-turn out of no where and pulled him :).

Made my night seeing that :).

Been on several buses (86 route) which often skip the lights in the Hulme are as there is no traffic on those roads.
 Running red lights... - CGNorwich
Please don't shout.
 Running red lights... - Iffy
...Please don't shout...

Thanks for that positive, insightful and worthwhile contribution.

I'm sure all will be well now.

Running red lights... - Clk Sec
Shout, shout, let it all out...
 Running red lights... - RattleandSmoke
There will be no Tears for Fears on this thread :).
No, our Ratts is strictly a Spandau Ballet man.

Damn, that one will backfire on me. Damn, damn, damn! Puff, the Magic Dragon, anyone?
 Running red lights... - CGNorwich
"Thanks for that positive, insightful and worthwhile contribution."

That's perfectly OK. Every thread should have such a contribution, don't you think?

Shouting is unattractive, CG, but so is prissiness when all he was doing was using capitals sparingly for emphasis. Bold or italic might have been more elegant, but not everyone is a 20-year veteran of the IT nerdosphere like, ahem, me.

Incidentally, all you have to do is use a b or i between a < and a > before the text you want to change, then a similarly bracketed /b or /i to switch it off at the end of your emphasised passage.
 Running red lights... - Zero
Hauling us back to the red light question, at least they are stopping and looking before they proceed.
Latest Forum Posts