Motoring Discussion > PDA Training Day Sat July 30th 2011 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 24

PDA Training Day Sat July 30th 2011 - Pat
PDA Training & Awareness Day
Saturday 30th July 2011 10am
Brett’s Transport Ltd Guyhirn Cambs PE13 4AG

Once again, the Professional Drivers Association will be holding their annual Training & Awareness day from 10 am on Saturday July 30th 2011

You will get the opportunity to practice reversing in an artic, to try a variation of auto, semi auto and manual gearboxes, to drive Scania, Volvo and Mercedes lorries within the confines of the yard.

A vintage Bedford will be available for those who fancy trying a crash box at the end of the afternoon!

There will be roping and sheeting going on, and tuition on how to do all the old knots, with many tips and tricks available.

You can practise hooking up & dropping off trailers and find how to open and close a wide variation of taut liners.

There will be ‘old hands’ available to answer your questions and remember, we’re happy to do so, however trivial they may seem to you.

Advice will be available on tachograph & WTD regulations on the day.

This year, you will have the opportunity to mee Harry Hi-Viz we have also decided to open this up again to any adult who would like to ‘sit’ in a lorry to experience the blind spots and the danger areas. We may even allow you to drive it up the yard!

High Viz jackets, safety boots and gloves should be brought with you, and we cannot allow children to be in the yard during the day.

This event is in support of the Professional Drivers Foundation and although there is no charge whatsoever, a donation to the PDF would be appreciated

It is essential however, to email me at pat.nicholson@tiscali.co.uk if you would like to attend, so I have some idea of how many to cater for

A few of you turned up last year and had a good day and a few more said they would have liked to have attended but wasn't aware of it.

Mods: Sorry I didn't email for permission to post this but feel free to remove it if you wish.

Pat
 PDA Training Day Sat July 30th 2011 - Iffy
I'll come if I can rope and sheet midlifecrisis.

I think you're both having a Mid Life Crisis at the moment...and Zero!

Get the three of you sat behind the wheel of a fully laden artic and ask you to drive it up the yard and turn it round, always sees a dramatic change in a persons confidence levels, which might do all three of you some good sometimes.

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Fri 13 May 11 at 07:04
 PDA Training Day Sat July 30th 2011 - Clk Sec
I'm sure we all know that Iffy posted with intended humour.
...I'm sure we all know that Iffy posted with intended humour...

Looks like the humourless nerk who downgraded the post didn't.

Now, it really would be some day if I could reverse over Zero with a 40-ton artic as well.

PDA Training Day Sat July 30th 2011 - VxFan
>> Looks like the humourless nerk who downgraded the post didn't.

Thing is iffy, given your recent disagreement and argument with mlc, how would you have reacted if he'd have posted the above comment? To me it just looks like more goading.

Only the other day you were making a point about personal remarks, etc, and today you go and do something similar to someone else.

If you don't want it happening to you, might I suggest you don't do it to others. Seems to me there is more to it than just a 'humourous' remark.

Whilst we're on the subject, it's been commented on by email that the tone of this forum has changed recently and people are starting to get more antagonistic towards other members.

Please remember, we would like all members to act in a respectful and courteous manner, not where you would earn a punch in the mouth if you said it in front of someone down the pub.

Vx.
....Please remember, we would like all members to act in a respectful and courteous manner, not where you would earn a punch in the mouth if you said it in front of someone down the pub...

VxFan,

In that thread, I called midlifecrisis no names whatsoever.

I didn't even mention the police, or an emergency service by name.

In return, he gave me dog's abuse, and was allowed to do it.

I want everyone to be treated exactly the same.

It is not happening.

The thread makes its own point:

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=5&t=6276

>> In that thread, I called midlifecrisis no names whatsoever.

But you're making a personal attack on him now, which isn't right either.

>> I want everyone to be treated exactly the same.

Hence my post above.

Vx.
...a personal attack on him now...

Do you honestly class my daft one liner above as a personal attack?

Good grief.

Anyway, I've made my point.

Anyone going to Pat's training day in the hope of seeing me indulge in bondage will be disappointed.

>> Do you honestly class my daft one liner above as a personal attack?

you're the one with all the answers. You work it out.

>> Anyway, I've made my point.

TG for that. Now can we get back on topic please.
To make it clear, so did I.

Neither was it me who downgraded Iffy's post.

Hiding behind secrecy is something I disagree with about the system this forum operates.

Pat
However, if the invitation above is only going to cause controversy, perhaps I can ask the Mods to remove it please?

Pat
 PDA Training Day Sat July 30th 2011 - Zero
>> However, if the invitation above is only going to cause controversy, perhaps I can ask
>> the Mods to remove it please?

No need to do that, just lock it so its there for reference.
wasnt me, I wasnt up that early.
No controversy and certainly no need to lock or remove it.

A post or two will keep the thread towards the top of the board, so Pat's invitation gets maximum exposure.

Oh good lord I got a red gong because I wasnt up early enough!
 PDA Training Day Sat July 30th 2011 - BiggerBadderDave
That was me. Lazy git.
...That was me. Lazy git...

What you've forgotten is it's only a quarter to eight over here.
 PDA Training Day Sat July 30th 2011 - Dave_
>> cannot allow children to be in the yard

I haven't sorted out who's where, when, over the summer holidays yet... If I'm by myself that day I'll definitely be attending.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Fri 13 May 11 at 09:47
It needs sorting quickly Dave.

Pat
 PDA Training Day Sat July 30th 2011 - Injection Doc
well done PDA, sounds like a great day out, that is one thing I would like to of attended, bring back a few memories, but summer holidays are in the way for me. I wish you well and have a great day.
 PDA Training Day Sat July 30th 2011 - FocalPoint
I would love to attend, but would appreciate a little more detail.

Do we just turn up (equipped as you say) at 10:00 and stay till the end of the day (whenever that is), or can we drop in as and when? Bring our own lunch? Any facilities available at the yard?

Any other practical things we should be aware of?
 PDA Training Day Sat July 30th 2011 - bathtub tom
>>Any facilities available at the yard?

Bring your own milk bottle? ;>)
for those who are interested pat, might be an idea to provide a cut off date.
Sorry I was working yesterday ( and again this morning).

You can turn up at 10am and stay all day which will be to around 4.30pm or you can pop in as you wish.

The road safety demonstrations will be what we start with in the morning and then everyone is paired up with an experienced driver and sent down the yard to select a vehicle to drive. This is when the fun starts and the space gets very tight as you can imagine with car/rigids drivers manoeuvring artics around each other both backwards and forwards.

There is coffee available at the yard in my Training room and of course, toilets.
For lunch there is a café just up the road next door to us and this year I'll warn them we're coming as they struggled to cope a bit.

After a quick lunch it's more driving if that's what you want to experience the different gear boxes ( manual/auto/semi auto) and there will be roping and sheeting going on for you to have a go at if you wish, where you will learn to do a Dolly, Pigs Ear and various other knots.

The day ends with the Mr Brett senior, or the Old Man as we lovingly call him, getting his pride and joy, the Bedford out with the crash box and everyone has the opportunity to drive that if they want to.

It's very lighthearted and relaxed, we don't laugh at anyone's efforts but mainly at ourselves and in eight years of doing this we have never had a bump or scrape yet and are allowed to use any of the vehicles even the brand new ones.

There are about six places left and will be filled on a first come ( via email to me) first served basis.

Hope this helps.

Pat
Latest Forum Posts