Motoring Discussion > Picked up a new car today ... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 32

Picked up a new car today ... - Hard Cheese

... 2010 BMW 123d M-Sport 3dr, 6k miles with a number of nice options including 18" alloys, black boston leather, cruise control, comfort pack (adds front park sensors, auto wipers and lights etc), electric lumbar adjust (our 120i also has this, it works well) elec fold mirrors, heated seats, voice control, Prof radio and bluetooth (great system incuding phone charger and signal through car aerial).

The car had been owned by BMW and is absolutely, totally as good as new, only the tyres showing any sign of use. It smells like a new car, saved well over £10k on the new price of £30k ish inc the options and it came with a 3 year inclusive service pack.

Great to drive, no firmer than out 120i, perhaps even a bit more compliant though also perhaps a little more road noise due to the wider tyres, 214/45 and 245/35 compared to 205/50-17 all round on the 120i.

135 ish g/sqm CO2, 54 + mpg combined and £115 p/a RFL though over 200bhp and 400nm torque.

Stonking torque and great gearing, around 32.5mph/1000rpm meaning that it pulls strongly from below 50mph in top. The 120d (also 118d) has less close ratios and 39mph/1000rpm in aid of economy/CO2 though requires a change down to 5th at much under 60mph.

Pillarless doors, meaning that the windows retract a few mm as the doors are opened and close again as the door is shut, despite which there is no more wind noise than the 5dr 120i and the doors shut with a more satisfying clunk, the 120i doors are a little rattly when shut, the Focus ST felt more solid in that respect.

Averaged 47mpg on the way home (180 miles) a mix of A roads, dual carriage way and motorway with a lot of crawling in traffic and 77mph on cruise.

More to follow no doubt ...

Picked up a new car today ... - Londoner
Congratulations on your new car, Cheddar!

I hope that you enjoy many tens of thousands of miles of happy, trouble-free motoring.

There are few smells as nice "new car" smell!
 Picked up a new car today ... - BiggerBadderDave
"There are few smells as nice "new car" smell!"

My neighbour's wife's pantie drawer.
 Picked up a new car today ... - Ted
>
>>
>> My neighbour's wife's pantie drawer

Leather and walnut, Bigbad ?

Ted
>>
 Picked up a new car today ... - BiggerBadderDave
She's a High Court Judge Ted... Only the best.
 Picked up a new car today ... - Iffy
...She's a High Court Judge Ted... Only the best...

Polish High Court Judges are like Polish cars - not a patch on ours.

Thinking about it, are there any Polish cars?

Picked up a new car today ... - Falkirk Bairn
Polish cars

Fiat 500, Ford Ka are Polish assembly
 Picked up a new car today ... - Boxsterboy
And Fiat Panda (beat Rattle to it!)
 Picked up a new car today ... - Clk Sec
>>(beat Rattle to it!)
Not that difficult on a Saturday morning.

Enjoy your new car, Cheddar.
 Picked up a new car today ... - -
Nice car Cheddar.

Some serious rubber there, what will you do come winter if you don't mind me asking.
>> Nice car Cheddar.
>>
>> Some serious rubber there, what will you do come winter if you don't mind me
>> asking.
>>

Walk, not bother digging it out ...

... we will probably get a set of BMW wheels to put some winter tyres on though will probably fit them to the 120i.
...we will probably get a set of BMW wheels...

Last winter, BMW garages were offering a winter wheels and tyres changing scheme.

Not sure of the details, but I think they put four on and kept your old ones until it was time for those to go back on again.

Money had to change hands no doubt, but worth looking into when the time comes.

Thanks Iffy,

Looked into it last year for our other one, er, other 1.

Picked up a new car today ... - corax
>> There are few smells as nice "new car" smell!

Oh come on, I can think of rather nicer smells than a heap of plastic and metal.
 Picked up a new car today ... - Stuartli
>>Oh come on, I can think of rather nicer smells than a heap of plastic and metal.>>

Such as?

Especially as a heap is an old banger..:-)
 Picked up a new car today ... - corax
>> Such as?

Look at non-motoring

>> Especially as a heap is an old banger..:-)

OK, an beautifully constructed assemblage of new bits of plastic and metal :)
 Picked up a new car today ... - legacylad
Shame on you Cheddar...swapping a petrol engined flyer for something that looks like a shoe with a diesel engine.
Bet you really wanted an M3.
A shoe?

www.specsavers.co.uk

I thought about a 130i though low 30's mpg at best swung me to the diesel. And despite the other thread on the respective merits of diesel and petrol a good diesel gives more go relative to mpg and comparable refinement.

Yes the small turbo/supercharged petrols are great though they are still thirstier than a diesel of comparable performance.

Picked up a new car today ... - Zero
So it lost a third of its value on first registration in year 1? phewwwwie - thats some depreciation!

>> - thats some depreciation!
>>

I was surprised too, though it was only £3k more than a 3 year old 25-30l mile two owner car indicating that I got a good deal rather than ongoing high depreciation.

probably because the list was pushed up by the extras, which have little monetary value on resale, but just desireable things to have.

Good point, list today would be about £26k and £30k with the extras, nice extra too, I forgot to mention the puddle lights in the door handles.

...thats some depreciation!...

M Sport not to everyone's taste by any means, so unless it has some rarity value like 5-series M Sports had at one time, it's going to depreciate quickly.

I dunno what the predicted residuals are, but at a guess, around 40 per cent of its retail price after three years.

A really desirable BMW might achieve 50 per cent or more.

>> M Sport not to everyone's taste by any means, so unless it has some rarity value
>>

To the contrary, 1-Series M-sports are in demand relative to SEs and base models.

3 year old 120/123d M-Sports with 25k ish miles are going for around £16k, that is around 62% of retail after three years.

As I say it seems that I got a good deal, I paid around £3k more than a 3 year old 25k mile for a 15 month old 6k miler.
...3 year old 120/123d M-Sports with 25k ish miles are going for around £16k, that is around 62% of retail after three years.

The residual value would be a trade/auction price, so you should knock £2K or so off the £16K.

That's still close to 50 per cent, which is pretty good for any car.

Last edited by: Iffy on Sun 15 May 11 at 14:35
 Picked up a new car today ... - Armel Coussine
A 1 series M variant hooted rudely in my ear having appeared out of nowhere going past me in a tight roundabout on the A24 a week or so back, something that seldom happens to me. Unlike many of those who do that sort of thing it then disappeared up the road at a more illegal speed than my own.

I wonder if it was Cheddar on an early test drive.

>> I wonder if it was Cheddar on an early test drive.>>

All aspects of the occasion ring true AC ... ... ... but for the fact that I have not been near the A24 in months ...

>> something that seldom happens to me. Unlike many of those who do that sort of
>> thing it then disappeared up the road at a more illegal speed than my own.

Pah - thats the Second time thats happened to you in two months. You'r loosing it AC.
 Picked up a new car today ... - Armel Coussine
>> Pah - thats the Second time thats happened to you in two months.

That's one of the problems with this twittering lark. You grass yourself up inadvertently.

>> You'r loosing it

I prefer to see it as acceding at last to the serenity that descends on the better sort of person when they are starting to verge on middle age. A long way from being undertaken and given the finger by little old ladies in Zimmer frames. But even that will probably come in time.
 Picked up a new car today ... - legacylad
only joking Cheddar,
I think the 3 door is nicer looking than the 5 door which several of my elderly neighbours own. All in 118d guise.
And if my next door neighbour continues to yank on the handbrake without depressing the ratchet mechanism I just might go round and have a word. It really irritates me!
My car handbook states the one should NOT depress the ratchet when applying the handbrake.
 Picked up a new car today ... - Boxsterboy
Handbrake ratchets? How very last century.
Latest Forum Posts