Motoring Discussion > Tom Tom Map Corrections Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 22

Tom Tom Map Corrections - BobbyG
I guess this could go into Motoring or Computer......

I updated my TT710 with new maps and now has Mapshare so I can highlight any map issues I come across. The function of this seems relatively easy, I have tried one tonight on a roundabout that has been there for at least 2 years but still shows as a T junction on the newly bought map (how up to date are these really????)

Anyway my TT device says when I next connect to the computer and TT Home, it will automatically upload this. I have connected and there is absolutely no evidence that it has uploaded, it may well have but no message to say it has.

Has anyone else made any use of this service? Did you get a message? Do you allow updates from only TT or from "trusted sources"?

How often do TT then update these maps?

Any feedback appreciated.
 Tom Tom Map Corrections - SteelSpark
>> How often do TT then update these maps?

I don't know but the maps in my GO 970 can be laughable at times. I haven't really used it that much, but I have already lost count of the number of times it thought that junctions were roundabouts.

Maybe that is forgiveable out in the burbs, but the maps seem to have absolutely no idea which roads are one-way in central London. How on earth they consider it acceptable for the maps to be oblivious to almost every single one-way system in the centre of one of the world's major cities I do not know.

Once I get near the centre of London, I have to rely upon my local knowledge, or just navigate via signs, and use the TomTom to check roughly where I am, and roughly which direction I need to be heading in.
Fyi, here is the response I received from TomTom:

Thanks for contacting TomTom regarding the maps in your area.

The reference number for your query is 100331-xxxxxxx.

Thank you for your feedback regarding incorrect map data. TomTom maps are made by our map data provider TeleAtlas. TeleAtlas compile map data by viewing satellite images and using a fleet of Road mapping vehicles. Each year, on average, 5% - 10% of the European Road network changes at any one time. Due to the extent of the European road network, it is highly likely that you will find changes to the map, or parts of the map data may be out of date.

As you can appreciate, due to the logistical undertaking and complexity of digital map making, there will be some roads that are not quite 100% correct or are ultimately missing from the map. However, TeleAtlas do provide the best digital map data available for GPS devices. TeleAtlas rely on local organizations and governments to notify them of any road changes so that they can be investigated and added to the most up to date maps. Due to our partnership with our map provider, we are now able to provide a service where users of TomTom devices can easily report changes to the map an report any map errors. This service is known 'MapShare'.

The TomTom MapShare is a free service; you can find out how to use MapShare by clicking on the following link:
www.tomtom.com/1834

Other Map Share users can upload their own changes and you can download them via TomTom Home. If you have found a map data error, it is likely that TeleAtlas and ourselves do not know about it yet, and therefore we request that you let us know about it by submitting a MapShare correction.

Once you have made your Mapshare correction, please connect your TomTom GO 710 to the computer so that the changes can be uploaded. Please note that MapShare is only available for map versions 6.75 or higher. If you do not have the latest map installed on your device, TomTom releases regular map updates for purchase via our website:
www.tomtom.com/maps

For further details on how MapShare works, please visit:
www.tomtom.com/page/mapshare

I can confirm that when you connect to TomTom Home, your updates will be uploaded automatically but unfortunately there is no notification to advise that this has taken place.

I hope this answers your questions but if you have any more questions, please let me know and I willl be more than happy to help you further.

The links didn't work properly with the full stops right at the end so corrected them
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 7 Apr 10 at 12:47
 Tom Tom Map Corrections - Zero
so bobby, have you uploaded a corrction to the error you have noticed?
This is the thing - I have noticed various errors and have uploaded them to TT. Some will update straight away on your own machine eg. if a street name is wrong. However where there is a missing road for instance, that does not update on your system.

Interestingly one road that is not on the map is the road from a main roundabout, into a new Tesco. Been there for over 8 months. And when you go onto Tesco website to download their stores as POIs (for fuel) , that store is not listed either!

When receiving updates, you have the option (along the lines of) accept TT updates, accept validated users updates and accept all updates. I have only selected TT updates at this stage as I am not sure what consitutes a validated user.
updates need to be verified, either by TeleAtlas, or many users updating the same information. you can set the sat nav to accept less verified (ie more risky) updates.
Yeah but then that does make it a bit risky???
it does! But on the other hand you could end up down south and find your life has improved.

Bring some scotch pies down with you.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 7 Apr 10 at 12:21
 Tom Tom Map Corrections - Old Navy
>> Bring some scotch pies down with you.
>>

Yuc! Mutton flavoured ashtrays.
Actually heading to Manchester in a few weeks but managing to get back out the next day!!
Not want some square sausage? Or Tattie Scones?
 Tom Tom Map Corrections - Runfer D'Hills
Oh yes please Bobby, a well fired roll with two slices of square sausage, butter and a wee dod of brown sauce.......

Edit - ....followed by a fruit scone with strawberry jam and butter.....
:-)
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Wed 7 Apr 10 at 13:04
Humph, next time you are in Glasgow give me a shout - the cook in our place makes the most wonderful home made scones, normal, treacle etc!

If you are looking for good tattie scones go to Grants just off Duke St - they make them on the premises, 6 for £1.20 and they are huge! None of this Greggs pre-fabricated nonsense!
Oh that's just not fair, I'm desperately trying to think of a reason for a trip now !

Best roll and square sausage I think I ever had was on the the Gourock to Dunoon ferry. It gave me the squits though which is not good in Dunoon when it's shut.
 Tom Tom Map Corrections - Skoda
>> Best roll and square sausage I think I ever had was on the the Gourock to Dunoon ferry.

It's called a roll and slice down there! West coasters... :-/

EDIT: the best i've ever tasted is from over that way -- Troon, Thomsons Lorne Sausage. It's a retired butcher and his wife, and they sell them at a few farmers markets, including the one in Hamilton town centre.
Last edited by: CraigP on Wed 7 Apr 10 at 13:34
Hmmm interesting, Hamilton's easy enough, just a wee wiggle to the left on the way up to Glasgow. Only stumbling block would be finding a way of cooking it in the Milngavie Premier Inn......

tinyurl.com/ych9pl2

:)
Genius !
 Tom Tom Map Corrections - Pat
Premier Inn! How the other half lives:)

I have to doss in a lorry cab on Hamilton Services when I'm up there, or if I'm feeling really brave I'll go over to Bothwell:)

Pat
You are both snobs !! :)

Bothwell or Milngavie????

What about Easterhouse, Ferguslie Park etc etc ???
Long before TomToms I once took a wrong turning late at night and found myself in a dead end street in Foxbar. That was....interesting. My car was fairly quickly surrounded by a bunch of friendly local youths who I imagine just wanted to be helpful to a passing visitor..... I rather churlishly decided not to stop and chat. I think it may have been my valid tax disc which gave me away as a stranger.

Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Wed 7 Apr 10 at 18:03
Ha ha
 Tom Tom Map Corrections - Pat
When a 6 yr old says 'Give us a quid to look after your lorry', you know you've made it big time:)

And you DO give them a quid!

Pat
Which reminds me of the joke....

Guy parks outside Rangers FC football ground in his Range Rover. Wee boy runs up to the man and says "pound to watch your car mister".
The driver scoffs at the boy, points to the Rottweiler in the back and says "I don't need my car watched"

To which the wee boy replies, "Aye, right, but is it any good at putting oot fires" !
Latest Forum Posts