Motoring Discussion > The 10 'unluckiest' cars Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mike Hannon Replies: 105

The 10 'unluckiest' cars - Mike Hannon
www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/8560451/The-10-unluckiest-cars.html

Aside from the fact that it might be the drivers, rather than the cars, who are unlucky, does anyone have any comments?
I couldn't help noticing many of them are wider or bigger than average, and some are the sort that might well be driven by, shall we say, the more mature.
 The 10 'unluckiest' cars - Zero
Almost exclusively urban school run cars.

The 10 'unluckiest' cars - Old Navy
My daughter runs an FRV as their family bus, she hasn't wrecked it yet, unlike her OH and his S2000, (twice), good job the kids walk to school.
 The 10 'unluckiest' cars - Skoda
Yeah, i'd label those as mostly ditzy mum cars and (really) old folks cars. Maybe unfairly, but if you're going to be inconvenienced needlessly on the roads, those models are the common culprits.

How come there's not more boy racer cars on there? Boys are supposed to be in more accidents than yummy (or not so) mummy's.

Is it just yummy mummy's have more small bumps and boys only have one, an extravagant fireball?
Last edited by: Skoda on Tue 7 Jun 11 at 11:27
>> Yeah, i'd label those as mostly ditzy mum cars and (really) old folks cars.>>

Both my girls drive their cars like rocket propelled broomsticks, don't know where they picked that up from. :-)
 The 10 'unluckiest' cars - Alanovich
4x4s in "involved in more accidents than other types of vehicle" shocker.
'least they were safe AV...

:-)
 The 10 'unluckiest' cars - Duncan
Many moons ago, I read somewhere that driving test examiners are required to 'adjust' the female pass rate so that it is similar to that of men.

Probably cause an uproar if this were widely known - or confirmed.
 The 10 'unluckiest' cars - CGNorwich
"Probably cause an uproar if this were widely known - or confirmed."

Common sense tells you that it is not true. Do you not think that one of the thousands of examiners including quite a few woman would have spoke out if it were?
 The 10 'unluckiest' cars - Duncan
>> >> Common sense tells you that it is not true.
>>

It is not immediately obvious to me, I must confess. I didn't say in which direction the adjustment would have to be made.

Why shouldn't men and women have differing assets and skills?
 The 10 'unluckiest' cars - CGNorwich
"Why shouldn't men and women have differing assets and skills?"

No reason at all. What I was saying is the supposition that examiners adjust the pass rate according to the sex of the driver can hardly be true. It is highly unlikely, given the thousands of examiners who would have to be complicit in the arrangement that at least one of them would not have told the press, given then contentious, even explosive nature. of such a regulation.
Duncan, you don't say which way the "adjustment" needs to be made.
>> 'least they were safe AV...

Being involved in proprtionatley more accidents is hardly a statisitc the marketing men will be using if trying to promote the "safety" of travelling in an agriculturally derived vehicle on tarmac roads.
 The 10 'unluckiest' cars - Bigtee
Most of them are what old folks drive especially the Jazz so im not surprised they had a few bumps.

No Focus or vauxhalls and there must be more of these on our roads.
I'm assuming the numbers are proporionate to the numbers of each model on the road, rather than absolute.
 The 10 'unluckiest' cars - Boxsterboy
My S-Max is extremely lucky (touch wood). In 6 months I've only had 1 parking ticket, despite deserving many more.
 The 10 'unluckiest' cars - Dave_
Interesting picture of the Honda CRV in there.

It's of a CRZ. Only one letter, but a world of difference.

EDIT: Definitely a CRZ, the clue's in the numberplate - UK10 CRZ :)
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Tue 7 Jun 11 at 17:45
 The 10 'unluckiest' cars - Manatee
>> 4x4s in "involved in more accidents than other types of vehicle" shocker.
>>

Not that old tripe again. Do you know any other tunes?

There 's no mention of severity or cost of claims, mileage, age of vehicle, postcode, demography, anything really, and the mix seems almost random. Even supposing the "facts" as stated are accurate, and the signs aren't good with the CRV caption accompanying a picture of a CRX, the information value is nil It certainly doesn't appear to reflect insurance groups.

Correction, CRZ. Thanks.
That wasn't aimed at you Manatee - I posted after leaving the page idle for 10 minutes (cooking dinner) so although my post went up a few minutes after yours I hadn't seen yours first :(
 The 10 'unluckiest' cars - NortonES2
How would "Confused" know the true rate of incidents? They aren't insurers. The numbers involved are quite small, and they include no fault as well as other incidents. www.confused.com/press/releases/confused-com-reveals-the-unluckiest-make-of-car
Hadn't seen the original source. It appears to be based on what proposers have said when asking for a quote - in which case you might equally be looking at a list of cars driven by the most honest owners, rather than the most accident prone.

Not that I think any conclusion is safe based on this story, and the numbers defy credence. Looking at the other end of the list, a Nissan Skyline and Focus RS supposedly have 1% claims in 5 years - so they will cost next to nothing to insure then?
 The 10 'unluckiest' cars - IJWS14
>> Not that I think any conclusion is safe based on this story, and the numbers
>> defy credence. Looking at the other end of the list, a Nissan Skyline and Focus
>> RS supposedly have 1% claims in 5 years - so they will cost next to
>> nothing to insure then?
>>

Of course not, most of them arn't insured as the drivers can't afford the car and the insurance.
 The 10 'unluckiest' cars - WillDeBeest
Is it just yummy mummies have more small bumps...?

Is that how you recognize them? Maybe it's different in Scotland.
};---)

>> Is that how you recognize them? Maybe it's different in Scotland.
>> };---)

That was real mind in the gutter talk for someone like you WDB! Nothing more embarrassing than realising you're laughing out loud at a PC screen in a full office...
>> Not that old tripe again. Do you know any other tunes?

No.

4x4 supporters in "don't even want to contemplate that there might be a problem with using these vehicles in urban areas" shocker.
 The 10 'unluckiest' cars - teabelly
I find it hard to believe there aren't any bmws in the list considering the way they are usually driven!
 The 10 'unluckiest' cars - WillDeBeest
Company cars, TB. Confused won't see those - another factor that makes this a pretty meaningless survey. How big do you suppose was their sample of Skylines and Focus RSs?
 The 10 'unluckiest' cars - commerdriver
>> I find it hard to believe there aren't any bmws in the list considering the
>> way they are usually driven!
>>
An outdated stereotype which no longer applies, today's BMW drivers are courteous, careful drivers who spend most of their motorway time in the inside lane and are kind to old ladies and animals as well.
Yeah those latest rose tinted Ray Bans look good on you CD, quite cheap too considering all the optical correction they achieve.
 The 10 'unluckiest' cars - madf
Lets see. Confused advertise heavily.

People with accidents get higher insurance quotes.
Bigger cars tend to be more costly to insure.
4x4s and bigger cars are more vulnerable to in city bumps due to size.
Bigger cars tend to be owned by middle class people cos they cost more to buy and run but give status .
Middle class incomes are being squeezed.

So lots of drivers with bigger cars go to Confused.com.

Am I right in thinking the above just might skew the statistics?

(Most BMs tend to be company cars when new so no Confused entries)
Last edited by: madf on Wed 8 Jun 11 at 11:48
>> 4x4s and bigger cars are more vulnerable to in city bumps due to size.

Careful, the deniers (see above) will be all over you.
>> >> 4x4s and bigger cars are more vulnerable to in city bumps due to size.
>>
>> Careful, the deniers (see above) will be all over you.
>>

My next door neighbour has a CRV... two accidents in three years. Kind of reinforces my comments..

The deniers can say what they like. I'm not a wuss..

(runsawayandhides)
 The 10 'unluckiest' cars - Pat
A driver who can't negotiate a 4x4 around town really shouldn't hold a driving licence at all.

Pat
That's right Pat, and it's plain to see that many can't.

Which is why there should be a special licencing category for using SUVs in urban areas, and there should be compulsory training and an examination to get this category added to your licence.

Also, there should be a requirement to prove the need to own such vehicles, namely off road a towing use.
What a ridiculous attempt to try and twist my statement Alanovic.

On the contrary any car driver shouldn't be granted a licence until they are capable of driving the largest vehicle in the category they are applying for.
If that was the case, the average family car would be easy for even the worst driver to drive and might teach them something about width and length.

If you work on the basis that you can never be over qualified, this would work well.

>>Also, there should be a requirement to prove the need to own such vehicles, namely off road a towing use.<<

I presume you can prove a need for yourself and your family members to own a car?...there is no difference.

Other than the fact you dislike them as is already well documented, but that is simply your personal choice.

Or can you tell me why you disapprove of their day to day usage?

Do I take up any more length, width or space than you in a car?

Of course not, I simply choose to drive a car that's easy to get in and out of due to it's extra height, why is that so wrong?

Pat

>> What a ridiculous attempt to try and twist my statement Alanovic.

I wasn't attempting to do anything of the sort. If that's how you took it, then that's your problem.

>> On the contrary any car driver shouldn't be granted a licence until they are capable
>> of driving the largest vehicle in the category they are applying for.

This is simply not practical, and is the reason categories exist. A category for SUVs is not unreasonable given their different size, handling and road holding characterisitcs.

>> I presume you can prove a need for yourself and your family members to own
>> a car?...there is no difference.

There's a huge difference between owning a Golf and a Land Cruiser. A vehicle is almost entirely necessary in modern family life, a tractor is not.

>> Other than the fact you dislike them as is already well documented, but that is
>> simply your personal choice.

It's not an example of personal choice, it's an opinion.

>> Or can you tell me why you disapprove of their day to day usage?
>>
>> Do I take up any more length, width or space than you in a car?

No, but your SUV (if you have one, I wasn't aware until now that is the case), poses a greater hazard on the roads to other traffic than is necessary.

>> Of course not, I simply choose to drive a car that's easy to get in
>> and out of due to it's extra height, why is that so wrong?

There are plenty of high riding ROAD vehicles available which fulfil these needs and don't pose the level of risk to other road users as an SUV.

The ridiculousness in this argument falls directly on the side of those who buy SUVs for any other purpose than towing and off road uses.
 The 10 'unluckiest' cars - Bromptonaut
Pat,

Alanovich can answer for himself (edit - and has) but I suspect the SUV's he mentions are rather larger than your (IIRC) Honda CRV. There's a world of difference between those and the Range Rover/Land Cruiser Amazon or pick up derive dbeasties that might slot into a new licencing category.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 8 Jun 11 at 14:08
Well I'd include CRVs to be frank. Just about the only SUV I can think of which might fall out of the category I've got in mind is the Skoda Yeti.
Pat forgot to mention that she (they) tow a caravan.
I think that's a reasonable use for an SUV - also taking in to consideration that caravanning involves driving off road.

Also, in Pat's case, holding an HGV licence could be used as an automatic way of upgrading a car licence to include any SUV category.

Don't know why Pat sounds so cross at me, again. It's just an opinion, and hardly likely to become government policy.
Although if we sold the caravan tomorrow we would still have another CRV when it's time to renew the present one.

I don't feel that I should have to justify my choice of vehicle to anyone, to be honest.

Pat
As it stands, you don't have to.

But "come the revolution", you would. It's all just theoretical breeze-shooting, Pat. No need to take it to heart, unless there's some niggling guilt there making you all defensive. ;-)
 The 10 'unluckiest' cars - John H
>> I don't feel that I should have to justify my choice of vehicle to anyone,
>> to be honest.
>>

If you want liberal policies on transport, vote for the Liberal party? I think not, because they will probably support Alanovic, and become the EU Dictator party and dictate that you can't drive 4x4s in urban areas to start with, and eventually stop you from driving anywhere unless you can prove that your need justifies the means of transport, even if it is a G-wiz. Even Lord Sugar will be banned from being driven around in his Rolls Royce for scenes on The Apprentice unless the BBC can prove that it was justified.

Last edited by: John H on Wed 8 Jun 11 at 14:33
I was correct in thinking Alanovic was including CRV's but to be fair I was including any 4x4, and I think the irrational fear he shows of the 'dangers' caused by them on the road, rather speaks for itself.

Perhaps you should come up with some facts to back up the claims you make Alanovic.

Pat
Perhaps you should accept that we're just having a jolly old chat and it's just an opinion. As it goes, we're discussing a published article listing some 4x4s as being more likely to be involved in insurance claims than other vehicles, something I've long suspected to be the case.

Were we all just supposed to respond to the thread with "what a load of rubbish, and here are the substantiated government statistics to prove it"?

Sheesh.

>>Perhaps you should accept that we're just having a jolly old chat and it's just an opinion<<

Perhaps you should accept that I'm doing just the same but my opinion is different from yours.

In earlier posts the validity of the statistics has also been discussed, but not proven.

Chill out Alanovic and accept some of us love our overall 4x4 experience, and will defend our right to enjoy it in the same way you defend yours to discredit them.

Pat
>> Chill out Alanovic and accept some of us love our overall 4x4 experience, and will
>> defend our right to enjoy it in the same way you defend yours to discredit
>> them.
>>

Pat, I am nothing but chilled and don't seek advice on that matter from someone who started on me by misunderstanding my words and brandishing the "ridiculous" epithet.

You may love your 4x4 experience, but there's plenty of us out here who object to the things.

At no stage, anywhere, have I indicated that I don't think your opinion is valid and I fail to see why you keep accusing me of doing so.
I'm assumng the CRV is 4wd but in terms of size/weight its about the same as the current Berlingo.

Would this and the other similar van derived cars need special tests after the revolution A?
Nope. A Berlingo doesn't have the blunt, heightened front end of an SUV, nor the capacity for dragging people under it, and as such does not pose the same impact risk to pedestrians nor would it do the same, higher level of damage to other vehicles in collision.
>> Nope. A Berlingo doesn't have the blunt, heightened front end of an SUV, nor the
>> capacity for dragging people under it, and as such does not pose the same impact
>> risk to pedestrians nor would it do the same, higher level of damage to other
>> vehicles in collision.

I'm no fan of the big 4*4 and agree that the more obese examples really do pose safety and handling issues. But the adminstrator in me tries to put your proposal into effect and fails.

There are straight cars with AWD (Subaru for example) and then a progression through things like the Forester and the Honda CRV that are similar to an estate or a van derived car but with 4WD. The Renault Kangoo has a 4WD variant as does the Scenic.

I just cannot see how you'd draw a sensible regulation unless you only set out to capture the real beasts.
I wouldn't include standard cars with 4 wheel drive. The drive system is not my objection, it's the size and shape (in combination) of SUVs which I take issue with.

I'd love a Volvo XC70. But not an XC60 or XC90.
Last edited by: Alanović on Wed 8 Jun 11 at 15:21
>> Nope. A Berlingo doesn't have the blunt, heightened front end of an SUV, nor the
>> capacity for dragging people under it, and as such does not pose the same impact
>> risk to pedestrians nor would it do the same, higher level of damage to other
>> vehicles in collision.
>>

Good job you don't live in a more tolerant part of the world.

www.bullbarsaustralia.com.au/roo_bars.aspx

And they use them in town.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 8 Jun 11 at 15:47
 The 10 'unluckiest' cars - Focusless
>> Good job you don't live in a more tolerant part of the world.
>>
>> www.bullbarsaustralia.com.au/roo_bars.aspx

Corolla with a bull bar :)
>> Corolla with a bull bar :)
>>

This is why, (scroll down). You just hope they are not at full bounce and at windsreen height.

tinyurl.com/24aujwk
>> I'm assumng the CRV is 4wd but in terms of size/weight its about the same
>> as the current Berlingo.

Just for interest:

The mark 2 (which I presume Pat drives for some reason) is 20cm longer, 1.5cm narrower and 100kg heavier than the current Berlingo.

The mark 3 is 20cm longer than, the same width as, and 150kg heavier than a current Berlingo.
>> The mark 3 is 20cm longer than, the same width as, and 150kg heavier than
>> a current Berlingo.

Those were the numbers I used. About 4% weight difference at max auw.
And interestingly, the CRV2 gets 3 stars for pedestrian squashing, sorry safety, whereas the Berlingo (both models) gets only 2.
 The 10 'unluckiest' cars - Dog
Perhaps us proletariat should all be restricted to the Trabant, Alanović, and leave the Limos to the wealthy (like Lud)
>> Perhaps us proletariat should all be restricted to the Trabant, Alanović, and leave the Limos
>> to the wealthy (like Lud)
>>

Ultimate sin. Trabant, proletariat, communism, dictatorships, East Germany, War. As Basil Fawlty said, don't mention it.
Last edited by: John H on Wed 8 Jun 11 at 14:42
>>Ultimate sin. Trabant, proletariat, communism, dictatorships, East Germany, War<<

Shhhh John H - War is good ... for our GDP, we'd be skint without all those luvly Wars!
>> Perhaps us proletariat should all be restricted to the Trabant

So long as I can have an estate.
>>So long as I can have an estate<<

Oh, here you are then ~ en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:TrabantStretchLimo.jpg
 The 10 'unluckiest' cars - Armel Coussine
>> the wealthy (like Lud)

Chance would be a fine thing Perro.

It may be thought that I have the views, tastes and mannerisms of a rich person, although that would not be strictly correct in quite a lot of ways. As for the essential characteristic of a rich person - money - I don't have it. I say this without pride. Most people who weren't half-witted would have managed to get hold of some by my age.
>> I say this without pride. Most people who weren't half-witted would have managed to get
>> hold of some by my age.
>>

Don't you mean:
"Even people who are half-witted would have managed to get hold of some by my age."
>>Chance would be a fine thing Perro<<

I suppose we could have an in depth discussion on what being wealthy actually means A/C,

I'm wealthy, compared to my parents who had less than nothing,

But I dare say I'll be selling this Cottage before long - that's how I have bumbled along these last 15 years,

I reckon you could write an half decent book, from what little I know of your full and varied life,

Like my friend Laurie, the leather craftsman up on The Moor - he lived 3 lifetimes in his 69 years, maybe I'll put pen to paper up here one day, the setting is certainly conducive to writing (or going mad)

Look out for his/my book entitled The Night Soil Man.

>> discussion on what being wealthy actually means

Point taken. In fact no one here can be remotely poor by world standards. And it would be hypocritical of me to deny that owing to a succession of miracles or fortunate accidents, I have lived a life both interesting and privileged by most standards, and have only the barest inkling of what true deprivation might be like, although I have witnessed it often enough.

I am well aware though that none of this is through my own effort. If it had all been left to me I would have died in the gutter long ago.

Wealth gaps have a hallucinatory side. When I was freelancing as a hack in Africa I was often short of spending money. It was always touch and go whether I would make a loss on a trip or come out ahead. Yet I was obviously far better off than most of the people I met day to day.

Grumbling anxiously once as a couple of deadbeat musicians hustled me for another drink in the back room of a seedy night club somewhere in Francophone black Africa, I was touched when one of my companions put in a word for me. 'They have debts,' he explained to his friends. So I had to buy another round I couldn't afford.
>> Perhaps you should accept that we're just having a jolly old chat
>>

We are all trolls, aren't we? (looking for any excuse to turn a thread in to a 4x4 rant.)
Last edited by: John H on Wed 8 Jun 11 at 14:36
Speak for yourself, JH.

Talking about 4x4s is entirely on topic here. I think you'll find that your accusation here is not born out by the statistics of my postings.
>> Speak for yourself, JH.
>>
>> Talking about 4x4s is entirely on topic here. I think you'll find that your accusation
>> here is not born out by the statistics of my postings.
>>

Calm down dear, it is only t'internet. No need for road rage here.

No need to tell me, J.
The sun's out and the garden is a much more pleasant place to be than trying to counter accusations of 'starting on' a bloke:)

I do humbly apologise for stating an opposing opinion.

I shall go and chat to Hissing Sid, I'm sure he'll listen to me!

See you later, when calm has prevailed once again.

Pat (TIC)

>> I do humbly apologise for stating an opposing opinion.

Maybe if you'd done it in a less confrontational manner you wouldn't need to.

Enjoy the garden, it's sissing down with rain here. Which I imagine my garden is thoroughly enjoying - it's been as dry as anything round here for months.
Hmm.. all rather precious in my view..

I KNOW all 4x4 drivers are wonderful drivers.. which is why I make way for them on one track roads...and tuck in to the passing place as far offroad as possible..

4x4s don't do off road.
 The 10 'unluckiest' cars - Iffy
When you've done a million miles in a 40-ton artic - as Pat has - it's likely to influence your view a little bit.

A 4X4 of any size will hold no fears for her.

But it would be easier for her to forget how us car-only drivers can find them intimidating, especially when they are looming large in the rear view mirror.

It's not the vehicle's fault, of course, it's pilot error.

>> Just about the only SUV I can think
>> of which might fall out of the category I've got in mind is the Skoda
>> Yeti.

Damn.

In the baldy guy from little britains voice: I dont want one now...
Skoda, surely you enjoy driving far too much to want any kind of SUV!
Well itd be for M, just looking at it pragmatically, the golf isnt a good match really. she has limited spacial awareness, and doesn't really 'get' gears. Attempts at Parking the Golf mostly fall into the 'close enough' category but a few attempts still make it into the abandoned category.

I think the elevated seating position will make it easier for her, stands to reason really. The auto gearbox in the likes of an x5 would really help too. And of course, if it doesn't, then at least she'll have a better chance of coming off ok.

... :-)

* just for the record (she sometimes reads what I post here!) this is all Tongue in cheek, she's even been driving the vrs to get used to an automatic in daily life. And she knocked back the x5 idea on the seat not going high enough for her to feel able to drive one safely.
There's nothing wrong with SUVs if you want one, can afford it and can drive. This last is most likely to be the problem. But with so many people managing to get fussily in the way in the smallest classes of cars - I don't know how they do it, it's a form of genius perhaps - I don't really understand what it is Alanovic and others have against them. Some are very capable. I'd love a Cayenne if I could support it. The problem is drivers, not cars.

I followed a biggish boxy non-premium Marque Japanese or Korean SUV down a few miles of road yesterday. Although I was suspicious of it at first it was very well driven and I was content to follow it.

Zapped up to London and back yesterday to get my pacemaker MoTeed, sailed through, no advisories. Came back late afternoon, early evening commuter rush hour. Got out of London ahead of the real carp and all the way here was in quite thick traffic. But it hardly mimsed at all!

Of course I have known for years that home counties regular commuters are the best drivers in the country probably. But it only takes a couple of flies to really muck up the ointment. There weren't any yesterday. Alhamdulillah!
Its the sheer waste of local space and global resources to ship little imogen 5 miles to school in an Audi Q7 that gets on my tits. It not required and its anti social during a period when roads are chocka.

the "my kids are safer" routine is cobblers under these circumstances and it makes everyone elses kids just that little bit unsafer.

...Its the sheer waste of local space and global resources to ship little imogen 5 miles to school in an Audi Q7 that gets on my tits...

Agreed.

We have the same problem in Durham City with the school run mums tramping all over the world heritage site to get Tarquin to the Chorister School.

To be fair to the coppers, they got together with the local authority and the school to suggest to the selfish plutocrats their car use may not be very responsible.

That curbed it a little, although it's a public road so there's nothing that can be done as regards enforcement.

Last edited by: Iffy on Wed 8 Jun 11 at 19:54
>> Its the sheer waste of local space and global resources to ship little imogen 5 miles to school in an Audi Q7 that gets on my tits. It not required and its anti social during a period when roads are chocka.

Would you feel the same about someone with the bread and style who took their nipper to school in a blatting Ferrari, or a 40s Cadillac?

I agree that a person who had the choice wouldn't use an unwieldy chariot in London, or any congested place, if they had any sense. Something nippier is winwinwin all the way.

But I wonder really if citing these politcally-acknowledged socio-ecological concerns really behoves a car enthusiast. Wanting to have a dig at rich'ores and southern poofs can lead a decent car buff into throwing out the baby with the bathwater, Zeddo old fruit...

Cars as I know and love them may be on the way out, but I don't have to be happy about it and I don't mean to talk them into the ground before their time, knowImean?
>> >> Its the sheer waste of local space and global resources to ship little imogen
>> 5 miles to school in an Audi Q7 that gets on my tits. It not
>> required and its anti social during a period when roads are chocka.
>>
>> Would you feel the same about someone with the bread and style who took their
>> nipper to school in a blatting Ferrari, or a 40s Cadillac?

yes i would, but here is the rub, they wouldnt do it would they. The Ferrari wont go over the speed humps, and it might get scratched. Same with the 40s cadilac.

Either way its indefensible ona small island like ours with limited road space. And of course if they carry on doing it it will get banned by the Urban Apparachik sooner or later,

I cant see why little imogen cant cycle to school, or at worse get their with three of her mates in a 56 reg skoda taxi.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 8 Jun 11 at 20:21
Dear oh dear.

(shakes head sadly)
oh come on AC. You cant possibly want to see a thorobread Ferarri sitting in a Q getting all hot and bothered, being scratched by bike handles, just so imogen can get carted to school?

Honestly iof you see the choas outside some urban schools, you would change your mind about the big stuff being there.

Sorry i forgot, school time is a bit early for you, not up yet old chap! ;-P
>> school time is a bit early for you, not up yet old chap! ;-P

Done plenty of it in my time I can tell you. Naturally I agree with most of what you say. But I don't feel morally down on anomalous or inappropriate vehicles provided they are wielded with competence and panache. Indeed they cheer me up.

I agree the fragrant mumscrum in black Range Rovers sounds a bit, er, dumb. But I've never really seen it quite like that.
>> You cant possibly want to see a thorobread Ferarri sitting in a Q getting all hot and bothered,
>> being scratched by bike handles, just so imogen can get carted to school?

I read an interview with Jay Leno a few weeks back. One of the stories he told was of a piece of fan mail he received from a 12-year-old boy asking for his help. The boy had apparently told all his schoolfriends that he was Leno's nephew and that when his uncle was in town he'd give him a lift to school in a Lamborghini. The boy was writing to ask Leno if there was anything he could do to help him save some face.

Jay Leno consequently spoke to the boy's parents and subsequently arrived one morning to drop him off at school, in full view of all his friends, in a Countach. Priceless.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Wed 8 Jun 11 at 20:40
Except that now all his mates think he is a saddo gwonk kid who pleaded with him to get him out of the hole he dug.
>> But I wonder really if citing these politcally-acknowledged socio-ecological concerns really behoves a car enthusiast.

Whilst I don't share the ecological concerns many people posit when decrying SUVs, the point is that SUVs are not cars (in my ever so horribly humble). A car is a road vehicle. An SUV is an off-road vehicle.

I see no reason to be enthusiastic about them from a car enthusiast's point of view, although I have no objection to them in their rightful place, doing the job they were designed for. I'm just not interested in them in the same way that I don't give a monkey's about tractors.
...I don't give a monkey's about tractors...

I like tractors.

I'd have one if I could afford a couple of fields to drive it around in.

And a barn to keep it in, and some machinery to tow with it, and....

Could be a half-million pound hobby.

We've a tractor down at my Mum's place in the wilds, but I'm more interested in getting a go in the MGB roadster which lurks in the stables.

My step father runs a double cab pick up Nissan Thingy, I've had a go driving it on the roads and it's a hateful thing (even with the "van Aaken" tuning chip upping the power to far more than it needs). Can't imagine why anyone would enjoy piloting such a thing in town on a daily basis. Does a blasted good job ferrying horse feed around the fields and getting them out of the farm lane when the snow hits, mind you. Which is what it is meant for. Shopping/town trips and motorway work is done by the ageing but ever reliable FIAT Multipla.
...My step father runs a double cab pick up Nissan Thingy...hateful thing...

Might not be so unlike a tractor.

Some of those type of vehicles are still stuck in the 1950s underneath.

A mate had a newish one - don't think it was a Nissan - which had a push-and-pull rod to control the steering - the same design as many tractors.

He couldn't understand why it wandered on the motorway.

Not a bad design in itself, but almost dangerous to use it in a vehicle capable of 100mph+.

I always wanted a lawn big enough for a ride on tractor. With all the attachments.

Alas in the southern burbs, I never had the money for a garden that big.
>> I always wanted a lawn big enough for a ride on tractor. With all the
>> attachments.
>>
>> Alas in the southern burbs, I never had the money for a garden that big.
>>
>>

You won't when you are tired and its has rained and the grass HAS to be cut.. or you are getting eldely.

We have just over 1/4 acre of grass and sometimes it can be a pia if I am unwell/tired etc..

>>You won't when you are tired and its has rained and the grass HAS to be cut.. or you are getting eldely.
We have just over 1/4 acre of grass and sometimes it can be a pia if I am unwell/tired etc<<

Bin there, done that ~ and worn the T shirt = 2 acres of the blimming stuff:(

>> >>You won't when you are tired and its has rained and the grass HAS to
>> be cut.. or you are getting eldely.
>>

You have two choices, downsize or be wealthy enough to "get it done".

We downsized.
If you can afford two acres of garden round here, you can afford someone to get it done when you are too tired.

And us for downsizing to Scotland, I would call that hibernating.
>>If you can afford two acres of garden round here, you can afford someone to get it done when you are too tired<<

Shirley, anyone with a couple of acres 'around there' would be up the planning office ASAP!
Nope, local council is VERY anti building on gardens.

In fact the local council is very anti ANY new building. They would designate the weeds in the pavement as green belt.
>>They would designate the weeds in the pavement as green belt<<

- - - - > :-D
>>
>> And us for downsizing to Scotland, I would call that hibernating.
>>

We didn't downsize to, we downsized in. Lived in the London suburbs, I'll stay here thanks.
 The 10 'unluckiest' cars - Clk Sec
>> And us for downsizing to Scotland, I would call that hibernating.

Yes, but you'll have lower care home fees, and there's Alex Salmond.
I hear Salmond, when independent, wants the nuclear subs removed from Scottish waters, but insist the navy keep a base there.

>> I don't really
>> understand what it is Alanovic and others have against them.

I accept the problem is not with the vehicles themselves, but the choices people make to use them in inappropriate places and the inability of many of those who choose to buy them to drive them safely and courteously, with due consideration to the different characteristics and dangers their vehicles pose. I think I've been pretty clear on that.
 The 10 'unluckiest' cars - Hard Cheese

Well the only person I know with a FRV was shunted up the rear (oer er vicar) on the M5.

The 10 'unluckiest' cars - captain chaos
Perhaps the best solution would be for the government to ban all vehicles over a certain size and engine capacity, and those whose emissions are above, say, band B.
So, no SUVs, gas guzzlers or classic cars.
Just don't start bleating when the government bang fuel duty up to ninety percent of the cost of a litre and hike VED to £400 a year to claw back the lost revenue.
Because they will.
Latest Forum Posts