Motoring Discussion > Ill health - advice needed please Miscellaneous
Thread Author: captain chaos Replies: 23

Ill health - advice needed please - captain chaos
Had the misfortune to suffer a stroke recently and the doc has advised me not to drive for a month.
I assume I will need to inform the DVLA and my insurance company of my change in health?
Will it affect my premium? Any advice much appreciated, thanks
cc
 Ill health - advice needed please - RattleandSmoke
I have an idea of the answer but not certain so I will let them in the know reply, but just want to say I hope you're OK now :).
 Ill health - advice needed please - CGNorwich

Sorry to hear that Captain.

According to the DVLA website you do not need to advise them if you suffering no ill effects one month after the occurrence.

Insurance is more of a gray area. I would tell them to be on the safe side. It's up to them but I doubt they will increase your premium.

www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/MedicalRulesForDrivers/MedicalA-Z/DG_185787
 Ill health - advice needed please - Zero
Firstly, my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Its all clear here

www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/MedicalRulesForDrivers/MedicalA-Z/DG_185787

As for insurance, if you dont have to tell the DVLA, you dont have to tell the insurance company.
 Ill health - advice needed please - Cliff Pope
>>
>>
>> As for insurance, if you dont have to tell the DVLA, you dont have to
>> tell the insurance company.
>>

Are you sure? There are lots of things you don't have to tell the DVLA that would certainly interest the insurance company.
 Ill health - advice needed please - RattleandSmoke
I would expect you need to read the terms and conditions of your insurance premium :) It will probably vary from policy to policy. I think mine does state DVLA declared medical conditions. E.g if DVLA don't need to know, my insurance don't.
As far as medical goes, yes I am sure.

My policy application says "have you notified the DVLA about medical conditions"
Many thanks for the good advice and kind wishes
I'm extremely fortunate I got off lightly and recovering well (admitted to A & E with bp of 238/110 so by rights lucky to still be here :)
Certainly focuses ones' priorities for sure
Ironically, packed the ciggies in beginning of Feb.
Must have been the stress... :)
 Ill health - advice needed please - Hard Cheese

I agree with Zero.

And yes, best wishes.

Ill health - advice needed please - Clk Sec
>> And yes, best wishes.

From me, too.

Ill health - advice needed please - Old Navy
All the best, cc. Heres to a full and speedy recovery. I would tell the insurance company, don't give them any excuse!
 Ill health - advice needed please - WillDeBeest
Same from me, Captain - and I'd also recommend telling your insurer. Mrs Beest renewed last week and encountered some new questions, suggesting we may be entering a period of greater rigour in these matters. (There's another thread in that, which I'll start in a minute.)
 Ill health - advice needed please - Hard Cheese

No, no, as Zero said if you dont have to tell the DVLA, you dont have to tell the insurance company.

Insurance forms sayu something like "do you have a DVLA notifiable medical condition", if your condition is not notifiable then you dont need to tell your insurer.

Ill health - advice needed please - madf
All the best Cap'n..

Hope you don't need to tell anyone anything but have no clues.

Ill health - advice needed please - Cliff Pope
As an example, diabetes controlled by diet or tablets is not notifiable to DVLA, but is notifiable to insurance company. At least that's the advice on the Diabetic Association website.

But not relevant here of course.

Best of luck Cap'n.
 Ill health - advice needed please - Iffy
Sorry to hear the bad news captain, pleased you are now on the mend.

Seems pretty clear you don't have to inform the DVLA, so don't - once they get involved in the medical side of your driving, it can be a pig to get rid of them.

There have been cases where people have had their licences wrongly suspended for months while the DVLA sort themselves out.

The insurance looks a little trickier, because I don't suppose any of us can remember the exact wording of the questions on the proposal.

Rather than rattle their cage, how about doing a test online proposal with them?

Once you've got to the medical question, you can abort.

I reckon it's likely to be 'DVLA notifiable condition', so that means you don't have to tell them either.

Ill health - advice needed please - FocalPoint
Sorry to hear of your recent ill health and trust you are now progressing well, Cap'n.
 Ill health - advice needed please - Londoner
Get Well soon Captain.
From a Direct Line Policy

you must notify us of
any physical or mental impairment that must be notified to the Driver
and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) or the Driver and Vehicle
Agency Northern Ireland (DVANI).
Did a test online proposal as suggested and medical question didn't arise.
Will know better I suppose when assessed by doc after a few weeks if he thinks I'm fit to drive or not.
Need to drive really as I work 40 miles away and don't fancy cycling it much (unless someone comes up with an electric bike with a 90 mile range pdq!)
Many thanks to you all for the help and kind wishes
Regards, cc
 Ill health - advice needed please - MD
I do not wish this to sound harsh, but should you be involved in a serious accident/situation where perhaps deeper investigations were to take place then I am 100% sure that if it were discovered that you had omitted to inform your insurer of the change of circumstances (stroke) you WOULD be 'for the high jump'. You MAY still be covered for third party risks, but for sure YOU wouldn't be covered. I am not connected in any way with the insurance industry other than that a close friend is, at high level. He can be called to court as an expert witness. I would tread carefully Sir.

Hope you are on the mend.

Best wishes............MD
 Ill health - advice needed please - Slidingpillar
I asked almost exactly the same question of my broker. If the medical condition was not notifiable, my insurer did not care. Not saying all insurers are the same though.

However I played safe and notified DVLA and the insurer of both the reportable and the non reportable items as for me, they are linked.
 Ill health - advice needed please - Fullchat
My 10 penneth as regards notifying your insurance.

If; heaven forbid, you were to have a reoccurance of your condition whilst you were driving I am sure the insurance company would be interested.

Ask yourself the question, "Do you trust them to do the right thing?" If your answer is about as much as I do bankers and MP's expenses then its a bottom covering excercise.
 Ill health - advice needed please - Dutchie
Sorry to hear about your stroke captain chaos.

Not sure about any advice I can give you,I wish you all the best and a good recovery.
Latest Forum Posts