Motoring Discussion > Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo sun roof Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 41

Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo sun roof - smokie
Blooming car is costing me at the moment.

Last week a bulge on a tyre. Then a battery low condition which has resulted in me buying a new battery (thankfully Costco had 'em cheaper than the other bandits) and now...the sun roof.)

I meant to turn on the interior light but got the sun roof button instead. I don't often used the sun roof. It moved a tad then a bit of a clunk then it stopped. I can hear the motor whirring but the window isn't going anywhere, in either direction.

There is a learning mode for when the battery has been disconnected, tried that a few times to no avail.

This evening I managed to half remove the interior light fitting but not enough to have a poke around in there. Might have more success at the weekend, but does anyone know how these things work> 'm wondering if it's jumped off it's runners, or the cable or whatever. Either way, I expect it'll be a vastly expensive trip to the Ford dealer - I can't just do without as it is slightly open and will allow water in.

EDIT and there appears to be no manual override like some cars have...
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 9 Jun 11 at 21:47
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo sun roof - Zero
There should be a nut or hex socket visible in the gearbox of the motor to manually wind the sunroof. Might be behind a stopper or cover.
The Omega had something like that. Problem is, without forcing it (which I don't want to do in case of breakage) I can't get the lighting binnacle (is that the right word?) off. Don't want to break it, but it seems a bit of brute force may be needed.
Well its not screwed in, (he says fingers crossed) it needs to be warm tho, those fixing lugs break if brittle with cold.

DO it when the sun has been on the car for an hour or two.
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo sun roof - Dave_
Have you tried the greasemonkey's ignore-the-manual technique of holding the "close" button for a good 60 seconds? Or tried operating the remote key global open/close function? This is another one for bellboy and no mistake.

I know you've said "I can hear the motor whirring" but does that mean it's turning freely or pushing against some immoveable blockage? I'd be surprised if there's a mechanical failure or working-loose of something on a MkIV.

If the overhead binnacle doesn't want to come down easily then go and find a back-street bodyshop and chuck them a drink to do it for you. They'll have trim-removal tools especially designed for the job, and will have a "feel" for the force and direction needed to unclip it safely.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Thu 9 Jun 11 at 22:10
"holding the "close" button for a good 60 seconds" - this, but for 30 seconds, is the relearn technique in the manual. Will try it again but not hopeful (it's a rocker switch and I'm not sure which way I pressed it so not sure which way would be to close it)

I am pretty sure there is no blockage. I think it would move one way if there was.

Good idea re the bodyshop. Once I've had another tinker I will see if I can find one.
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo sun roof - Iffy
There's talk elsewhere on 'net of 'unscrewing the cowling', which gives access to the motor, which in turn can be removed, giving access to a nylon gear, which can be turned to close or open the sunroof.

>> There's talk elsewhere on 'net

I had a search but found nothing - got any links please Iffy?
...got any links...

Found a couple, both said much the same - 'unscrew' cowl and remove motor to access gear which you can turn, I'm guessing with pliers.

www.talkford.com/topic/75632-electric-sunroof-stuck-open/
>> not sure which way would be to close it

In my experience the button is aligned with the "slide" function - i.e. push to the rear to slide open, push to the front to slide closed... push to the front again to tilt up, push to the rear lower the tilted 'roof.

My experience of electric sunroofs is confined to older, non-CANBUS cars though. It's worth trying again later with yours though, as it could quite possibly reset its error status after a period of time has elapsed since the last button press. Good luck.

>> There's talk on t'net

I've had a good rummage and I can't find any info specific to the MkIV.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Thu 9 Jun 11 at 22:29
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo sun roof - bathtub tom
Have you tried it with the engine running? The alternator spinning could up the voltage just enough to give the motor an extra little oomph.
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo sun roof - Hard Cheese

On my MkIII with elec sunroof the learning mode was needed once after the battery was disconnected, also the sunroof operated with the windows globally when you held the remote open or close button down for 5 secs or so.

Tried it with engine running, although interestingly I have been wondering if I have an alternator problem after the "battery low" message last week. There is occasionally a funny squeal which I only hear at speed on the motorway with driver window open and something for it to reflect off (e.g. concrete central reservation).

It's actually tricky to do with "ignition on and no engine" as it's got keyless ignition, so push the button while depressing the clutch and it starts, with the fob still in my pocket. I have no way of just turning the key to the first (or second) position as such.

Didn't try the global locking, will do but I doubt it'll work as the motor appears to be working but nothing moving.

I would have looked in my Haynes manual though I sold it on eBay this week (6 months after the car) and only posted it yesterday.

I've found a pdf of the vehicle handbook:
bit.ly/lUteZa (Note: 33.32MB, will take a long time to download)

Page 118 contains the electric sunroof instructions - it appears that the MkIV has one-touch opening and closing in the same way as many cars' electric windows, hence the "learning" process to teach it where the limits are. No extra information of any help in smokie's case, unfortunately.

I didn't think there was a MkIV Haynes manual out yet?

My MkIII was one touch to open or tilt then one touch to close.

Dropped by the Ford dealer, service guy took a look and managed (by brute force) to get it more close than it was. However it sounded very expensive to fix. I asked how much to diagnose, was told £83, which isn't taken off the bill if I get the work done.

Back street bodyshop here I come...
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo sun roof - rtj70
You have put many off Mondeo IVs (I hope). First a failed engine and now a sunroof. What bad luck you have had with this car. Best of luck sorting this!
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo sun roof - Baz
I asked how much to diagnose, was told £83, which isn't taken off the bill if I get the work done............................................................

Sharp practice by Ford there. Can understand the upfront diagnostic charge IF you then have it done elsewhere, but a bit of a scam to not discount if you instruct them to do the job. Reminds me why I try at all costs to avoid main dealers!
Good luck with the fix by the way and hope it's not too costly.
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo sun roof - carmalade
Leave it closed and disconnected.Then get a black vinyl roof fitted ,a la Mk 3 Cortina.Sorted.!
...Sharp practice by Ford there...

Why should the garage work for free?

Diagnosing the problem is just as much a part of fixing the problem as the fix itself.

I think the dealer has not done too badly by taking a quick look at the roof and attempting to close it without charge.

That's what I would expect them to do, but I wouldn't expect them to do any more work for nothing.

Of course its not sharp practise. The time to take it apart and diagnose is there even if they do go on and fix it, it just becomes part of the total bill.
I didn't really think ti sharp practice in itself, as it would involve work which may not have a payback if I took the fix elsewhere. Plus they'd have to put it all together again then re-open it when they got the parts, so I sort of understand why they wouldn't knock it off the final bill. They are missing a trick, if they invisibly inflate the final bill by £83 then knocked it off again on the invoice I'd feel better about it.

It was more the fact that it was £83 which shook me, but I expect their labour rate (even in the depressed North East) is somewhere around that per hour.

My intent is to get it fully closed then never touch it again...
I dont rate sunroofs.

Make the car hot, leak, weight, noise, intrusion into the head height, go wrong.

Used to be a sunroof lover, when I first got a car with aircon and sunroof, I didnt use the sunroof for three years, never missed it since.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 11 Jun 11 at 10:51
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo sun roof - Manatee
>> Make the car hot, leak, weight, noise, intrusion into the head height, go wrong.

I'm beginning to agree with you, though I have one - I like the light sometimes. But the one in the Outlander does make the headroom poor - I knocked my specs off the top of my head the other day :-(

I've never had one leak. My bro. did when the drain bunged up on his Granada (a while back).
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo sun roof - Old Navy
>> I don't rate sunroofs.
>>
>>Make the car................................
>>

I agree with you Z. :-(

Sunroofs were made redundant by aircon.
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo sun roof - PeterS
>> I dont rate sunroofs.
>>
>> Make the car hot, leak, weight, noise, intrusion into the head height, go wrong.
>>
>> Used to be a sunroof lover, when I first got a car with aircon and
>> sunroof, I didnt use the sunroof for three years, never missed it since.
>>

I still quite like a sunfoof, not that either of our cars have them (mind you, one's a convertible...) Nice to be able to get a bit of fresh spring / autumn air without the draft from an open window. On the reliability front, our old E30 BMW had a factory fit electric steel sunroof that still functioned perfectly, and didn't leak, in the 2 ~ 3 years we had it. Not sure how often it went wrong in the first 19 years though!!

Peter
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo sun roof - henry k
I like the sun roof on my old Mondeo. I have never had any problems with it apart from moss collecting round the edges

It makes the cabin much lighter and is useful when carrying long lumps of timber.
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo sun roof - Manatee
>> My intent is to get it fully closed then never touch it again...

I have a roll of duct tape you may use. Black or silver?
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo sun roof - Robin O'Reliant
>> >> My intent is to get it fully closed then never touch it again...
>>
>> I have a roll of duct tape you may use. Black or silver?
>>
Mrs RR's sunroof is sealed with waterproof tape as the cheapest way of curing a leak. I hate the damn things, on the Mondeo I owned for 6. 1/2 years the sunroof was opened and shut once on the day I bought it and never touched again.
>> You have put many off Mondeo IVs (I hope). First a failed engine and now
>> a sunroof. What bad luck you have had with this car. Best of luck sorting
>> this!
>>

Hang on! With respect to the OP that is unfair to Ford, the engine was down to not being serviced properly as I recall.

Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo sun roof - Baz
Still think its measly ...... although i agree with Smokie that if it was hidden in the overall bill, it wouldn't feel as stingy! Mid you, i am biased, Ford wanted 25 quid to tell me what colour code my Focus was, 2 minutes work on their system.
>> Ford wanted 25 quid to tell me what colour code my Focus was

www.etis.ford.com/

Click on the "Vehicle" tab next to "Home".
Enter reg. number.

Comes up with VIN, build date, registration date, paint colour, engine code, gearbox code, and more.
Sun roof is now back in normal position, and switch is disconnected. I never used it anyway. Next door mechanic helped, we got the light pod out and he managed to drag the cable (toothed I think) with a screwdriver while I pushed the glass. None the wiser really as to what's wrong, but I now don't care. He checked price of new motor, nearly £300.

Re the servicing issue Cheddar mentioned, yes I was to blame but missing a service by 2000 miles ought not really wreck an engine IMO. Still, we did that one before :-)

The car is a bit of a money pit (high tax/ins/fuel costs) so I am now going to see what I can change it for, without spending too much. Can anyone estimate a value for a 57 2.5 turbo (petrol) Titanium X (plus extras such as sun roof!) around 55k, good condition? I reckon ti will have to go as a part-ex as the target market would be hard to sell to privately, and I don't have the time.
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo sun roof - spamcan61
In terms of the low voltage warning thing, we had someone else on here with a Mondeo that did that, I'll see if I can find in t'archive.

EDit:-

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=471
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Sat 11 Jun 11 at 14:57
8.0 - 9.0 k private sale, if you can shift it.
...I reckon ti will have to go as a part-ex as the target market would be hard to sell to privately, and I don't have the time...

Probably very wise given the sun roof doesn't work and it's had other problems.

It would be fairer to a private buyer if the car was sold with a warranty - from a garage.
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo sun roof - Victorbox
Having only ever had manual sunroofs (and sunroofs are now out of fashion anyway) I could never work out why a few winds of a sunroof handle was such a big chore. Then again, I've only had three cars with electric windows.
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo sun roof - Clk Sec
>>Then again, I've only had three cars with electric windows.

You should be so lucky; I've only had two.
Mine has dual powered windows, manual and electric.

To operate the electric you hold the handle, wet the middle finger of the other hand and push it into the cigarette lighter socket. Boy, dose that mutha shift up and down the door frame.

My Larry King perm is coming along nicely too.
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo sun roof - Alastairw
My Larry King perm is coming along nicely too.

Don King, surely.
Oops, Don it should have been.
Latest Forum Posts