Motoring Discussion > A "somewhat relaxed attitude" to parking Legal Questions
Thread Author: Dave_ Replies: 24

A "somewhat relaxed attitude" to parking - Dave_
Businesses are complaining of parking problems in Aberystwyth after traffic wardens were phased out in the town.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-13712977

Parking control is moving from traffic wardens run by police to civil enforcement officers in line with other areas, but Ceredigion council claims it will take about a year to put its system in place.

A representative of the local Chamber of Commerce said that it was clear there had been "a somewhat relaxed attitude" to parking since the end of May, and that many drivers were "abusing the situation" by parking where they liked.
 A "somewhat relaxed attitude" to parking - RattleandSmoke
Talking of which I just had to phone the police today. I was completely blocked in on a public road by an illegally parked car. I knocked on several doors and nobody knew the car. I was late for the job and had 2 inches each side to get out.

I then noticed the cars tax disc was out of date, so I phoned the police and they said they will send an officer round but about 15 minutes later some blonde comes out and says "oh are you blocked in" I was quite annoyed at this point, but she moved the car, completely blocking the side road and then went back in.

I rang Chester House (Police HQ) up and told them to cancel the call and I was on my way.

Now I was annoyed that she got away with it, but he car isn't taxed and that is an automatic fine isn't it? :D

www.dvla.gov.uk/dvla/onlineservices/report_unlicensed.aspx?ext=dg
I am some what tempted, but she may have got my reg plate and it would be a bit obvious. Hopefully the fine will be updated automatically.

People like that always get what is coming to them though, I some of the people who bloated about their lack of courtesy driving wise had ended up in court or got massive fines.

I am very tempted though.

It expired on the 31st of May, so she may still not get the automated fine :(

The funny thing is when she did come out there was a bit of scene with residents all coming out to have a look at the illegally parked car blocking me in.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Thu 9 Jun 11 at 22:57
 A "somewhat relaxed attitude" to parking - Armel Coussine
There may be a tax disc renewed on line in time now in the post, Sheikha.

Look, in big towns - even small wet ones like Manchester - people sometimes park inconsiderately and block someone in. The one you got sounds a real Lulu.

But if you couldn't ease out through the two inches each side, and the tiresome woman came out and released you, I would leave it there. To ring up making complaints is fussy and amateurish. Get on with your life. Make yourself and your partly run-in Panda an unstoppable force. Put yourselves about more and faster. Come down to Sussex and have a pint.

Of course you were quite right having rung the police to call again and cancel the call-out.
I had to be some where else, on the bus it would have cost me money and I would have been even later. I could have also lost the job if the customer had been funny, luckily I had allowed plenty of time and wasn't that late.

I did take pictures of it, but I am not sure if I should post it here in case anybody recognises the car e.g lurkers on google.

I've been blocked in before and have managed to get out, but this time it was impossible.

It is different when it is something like a petrol station because you know the person will come out sooner or later.

>> I've been blocked in before and have managed to get out, but this time it was impossible

If her wheels were in the straight-ahead position, I know what I'd have done. Gently ease my car's bumper up against hers, then with about 1,500 revs in hand lift up the clutch a little bit. Parked cars' handbrakes are surprisingly easily overcome. Hey presto, 2" space becomes 12". You have power steering, a couple of zigzags back and forth and you'd have been away.
Ha especially with the city mode, which makes the steering so light a bady can steer it. As much as I was tempted to do something like that, such things always back fire on me!
>> the city mode, which makes the steering so light a bady can steer it

You spelt that wrong. It begins with "L".
 A "somewhat relaxed attitude" to parking - Iffy
...You spelt that wrong. It begins with "L"...

Think he meant baby - Rattle doesn't know a lot about babies.

Come to think of it, nor do I.

I would have shook the car in a hope of setting of an alarm.

Wouldn't dare push anything with the CC3.

I have a plastic tray which is more robust than its bumpers.

Possibly wouldn't do the clutch any good either. The irony is the only reason I parked there was because I thought I would not get blocked in. I could have moved closer to the side road but then I would have probably been technically parked too close and blocked the view of traffic wanting to emerge from that junction - not that anybody else seem to give a toss.
 A "somewhat relaxed attitude" to parking - VxFan
>> Parked cars' handbrakes are surprisingly easily overcome.

Not if it has an auto gearbox and has been left in P.
...Not if it has an auto gearbox and has been left in P...

Most auto 'boxes will 'ratchet' without damage if the car is moved in Park.

Might not be able to get it moving by hand, but any towing vehicle would do it.

Which reminds me of another option.

I carry a tow rope, so would hitch that to the other car and drag it out of the way.

Easy enough if you only need to move the other car a few inches.

A "somewhat relaxed attitude" to parking - Ted

You should have chatted her up, her dad might have owned a brewery.

Ted
 A "somewhat relaxed attitude" to parking - Pat
Look on the bright side Rattle...

It proves some women can park cars if she managed to get within 2'' of your bumper.

Pat
 A "somewhat relaxed attitude" to parking - R.P.
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2001603/Aberystwyth-town-traffic-wardens.html

Daily Mail's view of the report. I think Flintshire in North Wales still have the old arrangements as well.
 A "somewhat relaxed attitude" to parking - Cliff Pope
>>
>>
>> It proves some women can park cars if she managed to get within 2'' of
>> your bumper.

>>

Not necessarily. Some people belong to the "reverse till it crunches then pull forwards 2 inches " school of motoring.
 A "somewhat relaxed attitude" to parking - Skoda
>> Not necessarily. Some people belong to the "reverse till it crunches then pull forwards 2
>> inches " school of motoring.

Worse than that, i think some folk fit towbars for *only* this reason!

When i was looking into towbars (was considering a trailer tent) the guy reckoned he'd get a couple per month who only wanted a towbar and no electrics. Expensive way to fit a bike rack...
 A "somewhat relaxed attitude" to parking - Pat
I'm sure Rattle will have already been out there examining his front bumper with a microscope and if he found any DNA we would have been told:)

Pat
 A "somewhat relaxed attitude" to parking - WillDeBeest
Expensive way to fit a bike rack.

Bike racks need electrics too - at least ours does. Entertaining results if you put the connector in upside-down. Not that I'd make a silly mistake like that, oh no, not me.
No damage to car as far as I am aware :).

One thing I have learnt from it though as I need to get less worked up.
 A "somewhat relaxed attitude" to parking - captain chaos
You could always carry a trolley jack in the boot Rattle.
Just be careful when manouvering the offending vehicle you don't place the jack under the sump ;)
...don't place the jack under the sump ;)...

We used to do that with Minis, although the sump was cast, not mild steel.

A Mini with a puncture is quite a challenge from a jacking point of view, the sills are very close to the ground.

We had one trolley jack which was ultra low and would slide under OK.

A "somewhat relaxed attitude" to parking - captain chaos
IIRC adjusting the front brakes used to be a bit of a pita
Latest Forum Posts