Motoring Discussion > Chelsea drivers? 4-0 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 14

Chelsea drivers? 4-0 - Zero
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-13734330

John Terry

The FOURTH Chelsea player to be caught speeding, in the last 18 months AT THE SAME PLACE.

Dont these guys talk to each other?
 Chelsea drivers? 4-0 - rtj70
Even if his car had a 'bug/tracker' on it, 77mph in a 50mph is still illegal. Overpaid idiots. At least London isn't small and so wet compared to Manchester. Probably have 3 restaurants in London too.
 Chelsea drivers? 4-0 - R.P.
There should be a "special" driving test for these "special" people.
 Chelsea drivers? 4-0 - Old Navy
I was passed by a young lad on a curved 30mph limited dual carriagway which sometimes has a camera van concealed around the curve this afternoon.

You guessed it, the van was there. :-))))))
 Chelsea drivers? 4-0 - Dave_
>> sometimes has a camera van concealed around the curve

Looks like I was lucky a month or so ago then, there's a spot on the way to work where a 40 limit becomes a 50 just after a curve, I may have been a little hasty in speeding up to 50mph a few dozen yards before the signs - and there was a van about 400yds into the 50 zone. Not heard anything yet, it seems unlikely I will now.
 Chelsea drivers? 4-0 - spamcan61
Maybe it's the only way they could get that many points.
 Chelsea drivers? 4-0 - Iffy
...Dont these guys talk to each other?...

Only when it comes to sharing out the penalty points - allegedly.

Chelsea drivers? 4-0 - Ian (Cape Town)
>> ...Dont these guys talk to each other?...
>>
>> Only when it comes to sharing out the girlfriends- allegedly.
>>
>>
>>

fixed.
 Chelsea drivers? 4-0 - Lygonos
Looks like employing Freeman is starting to bring its own problems now with his "reputation".

I wonder if the courts are now having a shot at knocking the "top lawyer" down a peg or two as 77 in a 50 is on the cusp of a ban I'd have thought - just as likely to get 5-6 points as a ban.

Still, these overpaid donkeys will likely happily pay a few grand for representation to get the same result as you or I would unrepresented...
 Chelsea drivers? 4-0 - Dutchie
Money is no object to these people he doesn't need to drive .

Employ a driver wages will be peanuts a weird world we live in.
...Looks like employing Freeman is starting to bring its own problems now with his "reputation"....

There is an element of tactics in court proceedings, and employing Freeman could go either way for a defendant.

The bench may see him coming, or as I think has happened more often, he has intimidated magistrates and their clerk with his superior knowledge.

To give another example, I know of a large national pub chain which always employs local counsel for licence appeals in court.

Their reasoning - correct in my view - is a flash lawyer from London may rub the magistrates or judge up the wrong way.

A local guy won't do that, and because he knows the judge, he may be able to pitch the case in a way that is more likely to find favour.

Last edited by: Iffy on Sun 12 Jun 11 at 01:53
 Chelsea drivers? 4-0 - smokie
" local guy won't do that, and because he knows the judge,"

With a bit of luck they may even be in the same Lodge! :-)
...With a bit of luck they may even be in the same Lodge! :-)...

Often said, and some people mean it.

Courts - certainly the ones we are talking about - are held in public.

The process is reasonably transparent and tends to be adversarial.

If one side is cosying up to the judge too much, the other side soon has something to say about it.

Chelsea drivers? 4-0 - smokie
Can't disagree Iffy but the only time I've been in court with my own "brief" (for a rather quick speeding offence) there appeared to be a distinct advantage for some reason in me having a local brief who was known to the Court. We got preferential treatment in the queueing process at least - I was expecting to be hanging round half the day but he got us in pretty sharpish - all done and dusted within 30 mins of the court opening IIRC..
 Chelsea drivers? 4-0 - Bromptonaut
>> Can't disagree Iffy but the only time I've been in court with my own "brief"

Don't know about Mags courts but in another life long ago I did case listing in a County Court.

The aim was to get the routine stuff out of the way first. Adoptions or anything else that was heard in private went first at 09:30. Open court from 10:00 with Council house rent cases first then anything that required a consent order (civil equivalent of a guilty or plea bargain issue). That got most of the punters, the borough solicitor and anybody else who knew what they wanted away by 11:00.

Then we'd start the contested stuff all listed for 'not before 11:00' in the sure and certain knowledge that at least half of the cases would have used time before to agree or be co-erced into settling.
Latest Forum Posts